Wolves in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grafsonhunt View Post
    Had a friend that wanted a coyote mounted that he killed in East Texas. When I thawed him out and got measurements I had to buy a medium wolf form to fit. Had to at least be a hybrid.

[ATTACH]113082[/ATTACH]

That Yote is giving me the crazy eye

Comment

Actually Ive seen the Mexican Red wolves but in captivity of sorts.
      Fossil Rim out at Glen Rose Texas had a paiir about 11 years ago up at the top of hill at the half way mark.

Ive heard folks tell stories of wolves .. my uncle this my cousin knew a guy who talked to a guy at the feed store...yada yaday yada...Over 30 years afield and Ive never seena wolf yet.
      Now I have seen some Coy-dogs and just a endless mess of coyotes. Some of which did seem to be very large.

Comment

Back in the late 1960's...

I knew a guy who killed a red wolf near Douglassville. They took it to the courthouse to collect the bounty on it ($25.00). The man at the extension service told them it was a red wolf. They didn't get to collect the money because the bounty program was out of money though.

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
          That Yote is giving me the crazy eye
          Yea I know that is not the best picture. I was still working on it and it wasn't dry yet. I didn't take any pictures after it was done. Kind'a gives me the creeps too.

Comment

Read this interesting report today.
            I thought you all might enjoy it.
            Talks about Wolf originating from Texas and the different species that once roamed the state.

http://wildworldofwolves.tripod.com/id37.htm

Comment

I can believe it easily. A guy in Dallas raised several wolves. Witnessed myself. I am willing to bet he is not the only one to do so in Texas. People have been known to have all types of illegal animals that escape or let loose. So I do not doubt you know what you saw.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Bumping this to the top. I got a neighbor who I just asked last week if I could shoot a predator tournament on her place, she of course answered yes, followed by don't shoot that big grey wolf that's been hanging out. Now I was skeptical but I didn't question her because she knows what she's talking about. This whole time it's been in the back of my mind. Well my friend lives in between me and this place and the lady has seen it in there pasture. I told my friend about it and they thought about the same as me. Yeah she's a creditable person but a grey wolf/timber wolf here???.... Anyways tonight my friend was outside with the bird dog and said he ran to the fence and went to barking and instantly it was followed by the clearest most beautiful howl they had ever heard. They instantly called me to tell me and said that what they just heard was what you'd hear on tv, that the wolf was down at the pond letting the world know he was here that this was his place, that it was unlike anything they had ever heard. They said that they are a firm believer that when the lady said she saw a grey wolf that she had seen it because they just listened to him let the world know this was his home. I sure wish I'd been outside to hear it myself but I really think we have one here. I'd sure like to know if it's a hybrid or full blood, if it was released, got out of a pen, or if they've just been here the whole time slowly coming back. Time to heavily set out cameras and bait. I'd sure like to see this dude on camera or in person.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishRedneck View Post
                      The bear thread got me thinking...used to have a lease down around Bronson in SE Pineywoods, and the old boy that ran it always said that there were red wolves in the area... at the time, several years ago, I blew it off as "Old Timer Disease", since TPWD and A&M say they've been gone for years, but I'm wondering - was he seeing coyotes with long legs and reddish fur, or are there wolves in East Texas?

Bronson ain't in SE Texas and there's no wolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                        Like i said, i do believe you! I just believe, like most people that claim to have seen black panthers and chupacabras and such, they are confused for one reason or another about what they saw.
                        I dont know but even if i did i would still feel this way. Im the kinda person that needs more than ''i saw'' to believe in something. Thatr all...
                        How do you feel about Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by muy grande View Post
                          How do you feel about Jesus?

I know he's not Melanistic with darker black spots nor does he have the mange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was about 15 years old, that was 55 years ago, I saw three not a half mile from where I live. Of course, at that time, I would never have dreamed I would live here. A man my Dad worked with claimed to have wolves on his place and said we could come over and try to see them. Well, we went over there, his wife drove us down to a pond that was overgrown on the back side of the dam with blackberry vines, and sure enough, three red wolves came out of that berry vine thicket and trotted off into the woods. They weren't in a hurry, just trotted off. There were almost zero coyotes in East Texas at that time, and I looked these critters up in a mammal book of some kind in the school library. What we saw looked exactly like the pictures in the book. Those were the only wolves I've ever seen, before or since. I've seen coyotes of all shades, some red tinted, some with white bellies, some even grey wolf colored. Even seen some black ones, and have a full bodied mount of one that came to my call, but when you see a wolf, you know you have seen a wolf.

Comment

Wolves do not exist in East Texas! If the did you would see them with a black panther on a leash with Sasquatch

Comment

I saw a very large red tinted yote this year while hunting. Wonder if it had some wolf dna? It was large enough to make me think it was a deer at first but still very confident that it was just a yote. My grandfather thought he saw a wolf near point comfort about 25 years ago but he was undecided whether it was a wolf or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X