No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I brought up game fencing perhaps now is a good time to delve a little deeper. I may be in a unique position to discuss the pros/cons and actual experiences in a non emotional way. As mentioned I have lived and hunted on my farm for 32 years with low fence and this will be the 8th yr. with a fence. I also own a 2500 acre 'pasture' along the Rio Grande. I hunted this pasture for 5 yrs. before fencing it. Beyond that I have a game fenced 'pasture' that is adjacent to another low fenced pasture I also own. I think I can speak accurately to my experience and comparatives.

Starting with my farm which makes a great example what I have found is that the fence has had essentially no impact on deer behavior. They are as wild as ever if not more so. We hardly ever see a deer on the fence unless it just happens to be grazing in the vicinity. There are bucks we find on cameras we never see. Some we see all the time. Appears to me it has more to do with individual personality.However, the hunting now is much better than it used to be. But even that follows traditional experiences. Some days are great, some days you don't see a thing. Nonetheless there are a lot more bucks around to see and there is always the opportunity to see a giant.

Whats also fun is the deer behaviors we get to see. Fighting, chasing, rutting, breeding, big bachelor groups, ...all the stuff that one would want to see in a well balanced deer herd with great age structure . And while you might get to see more bucks in a given hunt, chasing a specific deer is super challenging.

So what about the high fenced pasture next to the low fenced pasture? The only difference I see is that I hold a slightly higher population of bucks on the fenced pasture. And that might be simply because I have been feeding and managing it longer. Now both pastures have the same mgt. practices with feed and population and the quality production is similar. There is no difference in the challenge or quality of the hunt.
    Regarding the challenge of the hunt I place the difficulty in this order:
    Hardest--my farm!!!
    2nd-- the 2500 acre fenced pasture in Mexico
    Tied for 3rd--the other 2 adjacent pastures
    Easiest--With no comparison when I used to hunt the King Ranch

I'm sure there is a point in size where game fencing creates a 'pen ' environment. Thats probably a function of habitat as well as size. What I know is that in my circumstance I have only found the hunting vastly improved and more fun.

Comment

Great write up Rusty! I agree on the fence not changing much but our ability to manage the heard better. I hunt a very large high fence place on the Texas side and it is every bit as tough to hunt as any low fence place I been!

You didn’t rank delta property for hunts! That is one of the most amazing places areas I have ever hunted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Since I brought up game fencing perhaps now is a good time to delve a little deeper. I may be in a unique position to discuss the pros/cons and actual experiences in a non emotional way. As mentioned I have lived and hunted on my farm for 32 years with low fence and this will be the 8th yr. with a fence. I also own a 2500 acre 'pasture' along the Rio Grande. I hunted this pasture for 5 yrs. before fencing it. Beyond that I have a game fenced 'pasture' that is adjacent to another low fenced pasture I also own. I think I can speak accurately to my experience and comparatives.

Starting with my farm which makes a great example what I have found is that the fence has had essentially no impact on deer behavior. They are as wild as ever if not more so. We hardly ever see a deer on the fence unless it just happens to be grazing in the vicinity. There are bucks we find on cameras we never see. Some we see all the time. Appears to me it has more to do with individual personality.However, the hunting now is much better than it used to be. But even that follows traditional experiences. Some days are great, some days you don't see a thing. Nonetheless there are a lot more bucks around to see and there is always the opportunity to see a giant.

Whats also fun is the deer behaviors we get to see. Fighting, chasing, rutting, breeding, big bachelor groups, ...all the stuff that one would want to see in a well balanced deer herd with great age structure . And while you might get to see more bucks in a given hunt, chasing a specific deer is super challenging.

So what about the high fenced pasture next to the low fenced pasture? The only difference I see is that I hold a slightly higher population of bucks on the fenced pasture. And that might be simply because I have been feeding and managing it longer. Now both pastures have the same mgt. practices with feed and population and the quality production is similar. There is no difference in the challenge or quality of the hunt.
        Regarding the challenge of the hunt I place the difficulty in this order:
        Hardest--my farm!!!
        2nd-- the 2500 acre fenced pasture in Mexico
        Tied for 3rd--the other 2 adjacent pastures
        Easiest--With no comparison when I used to hunt the King Ranch

I'm sure there is a point in size where game fencing creates a 'pen ' environment. Thats probably a function of habitat as well as size. What I know is that in my circumstance I have only found the hunting vastly improved and more fun.
        I'm not a HF hunter, but IMO, once you get to a certain acreage size the fence doesn't really matter. Hunting 2,500 acres HF is a totally different game then 250 acres.

Comment

A year in the life of a farm

I agree, that fence isn’t helping him kill anything, it’s stopping others though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
            I'm not a HF hunter, but IMO, once you get to a certain acreage size the fence doesn't really matter. Hunting 2,500 acres HF is a totally different game then 250 acres.

How in your opinion is 2,500 acres different from 250 acres both high fenced?
            With the same ratios of deer per acre.
            How is it different

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
              How is it different

I think most times the 250 don’t have same ratio. They pack them in!

Comment

Now back to the daily trials and tribulations of life on the farm.You may think this looks like a regular armadillo. You are wrong. This is THE DEVIL ARMADILLO !!! He moved into my garden a couple of weeks ago and has been reeking total havoc tillering everything up. I have had 2 traps set. I have gone out late at night in my drawers and boots with shotgun unsuccessfully. Finally, last night he made his big mistake and now I haves moved him to a land far far away to prey on other innocent souls.
                Attached Files

Comment

Now back to the daily trials and tribulations of life on the farm.You may think this looks like a regular armadillo. You are wrong. This is THE DEVIL ARMADILLO !!! He moved into my garden a couple of weeks ago and has been reeking total havoc tillering everything up. I have had 2 traps set. I have gone out late at night in my drawers and boots with shotgun unsuccessfully. Finally, last night he made his big mistake and now I haves moved him to a land far far away to prey on other innocent souls.
                  Hehe, I have been out late at night in my drawers and toting a gun plenty of times.
                  Gotta do what you gotta do to rid the land of vermin.
                  That sucker looks old, glad you got him relocated.

Comment

How is it different

You may better start Your own thread for that one sir.

Comment

How is it different

10x the land for el jefe grande to hide from you. IF your after a certain buck don't you agree it would be harder to locate and kill him over 2500 acres, than 250 acres? Or 100 acres?

Comment

Thanks for always being so willing to share what you have going on with all of your properties! The more I read the more I learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
                          You may better start Your own thread for that one sir.
                          Both of em need to take that someplace else. This thread ain't the place for it.

Great write up Gato and very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            Both of em need to take that someplace else. This thread ain't the place for it.

Great write up Gato and very well said.
                            I'm not taking anything anywhere. El Gato was talking about the benefits of having a HF, and I stated in agreement that once you get over a certain acreage IMO then the fence isn't making it any easier to kill a big buck. Takes a lot of work to get one of those big ones down if he has a lot of land to hide in.

Comment

You didn't drop him off in Jonesville did you???? LOL I have one......or two.....or several that are wreaking havoc on my yard. I can never catch them!!!!! Bad thing is that I have two Jack Russell's on the yard and at night all they do is lay on the front porch and sleep.

Bucks are developing nicely Mr. Rusty!

Comment

What is your plan for fall planting?

Comment

Working...
                                X