Jamaica Deep Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamaica Deep Sea

I'm going to Jamaica at the end of August and staying at Sandals Ocho Rios. I'm looking to book a deep sea fishing trip. Has anybody ever fished Jamaica? If so who did you use and what did you catch. I understand that the time of year will affect what the target fish is but i just want to get an idea. any input is appreciated.

Following....

Comment

I'm no help on the fishing but we stayed there last summer and had a blast. One thing I would suggest is booking a private charter/taxi from the airport, it is over an hour ride from Montego Bay. We did private on the way there and with a group on the way back. The group van was loaded down and HOT!

Ton of places to eat, for dinner we liked Kimonos(Hibachi) the best, make your dinner reservations the first day or you may not get in everywhere you want to. For lunch or casual dinner there are a couple of brick oven pizza places and the Jerk Shack near the pools that are all good.

Also you have to check out the Rabbit Hole if you are into nightlife/party scene.

Comment

The fishing isn't good, the economy or lack thereof has led to highly depleted resources. It's rare to see a fish over 5" on the near shore reefs. Offshore isn't a lot better but for did reasons. Not saying don't go but go with the intentions of a boat ride w beer and a chance to maybe catch dinner

Comment

I went 4 years ago but stayed in Negril at Couples Resort. We booked our fishing through the resort not sure who they used but it was just down the street from The resort. We caught Mahi-mahi and 1 blue Marlin. It was fun went with a group but if I get to do it again I will go solo

Comment

I've never heard anything good about Jamaica's offshore scene

Comment

We stayed at Sandals Ochi last July. It was a good time. Have you ever been to Sandals before? The Scuba Diving was actually pretty good while we were there.

Sorry we didn't fish at all so I can't help in that department.

Comment

It's overfished but Mahi are prolific. Bottom fish, the key to forage, it's been hammered hence the low rating.

It truly is in a jewel of water but, the locals have no maritime conservation initiative.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't heard of many good reviews on the fishing either. I have been to sandals before, so i know what to expect at the resort. But if not fishing, what are other good outdoor activities in Jamaica outside of the resort? Were a young crowd from 26 to 35 years old. We will be checking out the Rabbit Hole.

Comment

We enjoyed the bamboo raft river trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went 13 years ago out of Negril, got skunked. Not a single hookup. Hope you have better luck thanI did. Negril is beautiful, if you scuba do a night dive. You will be in for a treat.

Comment

That night dive sounds cool.. ill have to check that out.

Comment

I can hook you up. We stayed at Couples San Souci, you can see it from Sandals, from April 23-30. There's a guy named Andrew, he owns a small resort that is pretty much within Couples grounds. Tell your concierge that you need them to get you in touch with Andrew. He charges 300 for 4 hours for one person and 350 for two ppl, but we talked him into taking two of us for 300. You won't be a 1/2 mile off the beach, but you'll be in over 200 ft of water. Here's a picture of his boat and our catch, sharks ate two of our tuna. I'll check to see if my buddy has Andrews number.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wife and I were there last Summer. Dunn's River Falls was pretty awesome to do and we also did the Luminous Lagoon Tour. That was pretty amazing as well. That's about all we did outside of the resort. I was also told not to spend any money to fish there so I didn't.

Comment

We stayed in Negril 2 years ago, went to a cool bar 2mils off the island built out of drift wood called Pelican bar. Very cool experience! People were very respectful and nice, better than Mexico in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X