Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many does do you think a mature buck breeds per year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mature, free range, bucks usually spend more time fighting than breeding. They are lucky to breed 3-5 doe in a normal season. Breeding is usually done be the spectators, so cull early, cull often !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
      You might be surprised. Its less than you think. A buck successfully breeds one doe per year.
      A buck could trend to a doe for 48 hrs intill she is ready. It will take him 12 to 48 to recover then he will breed again. So in the rut he could breed up to 5 or 6 does.

Comment

They still beat me

Comment

I have read it is VERy low also but around 2-4 per season!!!

Comment

Also, you have to remember that "mounting" a doe is not the same as breeding a doe. In the wild that same hot doe may breed with several bucks and it's a dice roll which one sticks.

Comment

I will disagree with the one doe theory. With the ratio out of whack like it is in most places. I think 2-4 is more likely.

Comment

It looks to me that the only thing certain is nobody really knows. Especially this motley crew on the green screen!!

Comment

he also said that sence a buck only breeds one doe a year that a spike has on input on your deer herd. So in most cases a ranch owner should take a chance on the young spike to see how he grows off in the next few years. But if hes a older spike like a 21/2
                  or older take him out.

Comment

I never would have thought the count was that low!

Comment

one a year??? horsepucky A mature buck will breed as many hot does as are available to him.

They will usually "hole up" with a hot does for 2-3 days, then find another hot doe, and repeat the cycle as long as there are hot does. The only way he breeds ONE doe is if ALL the does on a property come into estrous at the same time...not gonna happen.

A herd always has some that come into estrous early by a week er more, most within a weeks window, and some late. Do the math. One ain't the answer.

I never managed the King ranch, I only worked for DCNR for 26 years, and then 5 years in the private sector...............

troy

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        All other bucks in the world are jealous of your two bucks, of course those two bucks bred those does, if you had 50 does those two bucks would have tried to breed them all as well. You basically had them in a pen, I am not knocking the high fence, I managed and hunted a 1000 acres high fence ranch for several years before it was sold and I miss it dearly...
                        Exactly. That may be the farthest thing from a real world example ever posted on here. Seriously, 2 bucks and 8 does on less than 500 acres and we're supposed to be surprised the only 2 bucks on the place got all the does bred?

Comment

i would say 2-5!!! 5 at most

Comment

as many as he sees fit that breeding season.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              Exactly. That may be the farthest thing from a real world example ever posted on here. Seriously, 2 bucks and 8 does on less than 500 acres and we're supposed to be surprised the only 2 bucks on the place got all the does bred?
                              Not at all the point I was trying to make. I was pointing out that the real world has too many variables. Read the original post, "a buck successfully breeds one doe per year". Sounds like a blanket statement that is false when read as is. If he had said, "when sex ratios are tight a buck will only average breeding one doe per year", I would have agreed.

In Llano county where the ratio is proably 1:4 this theory would cause the population of WT deer to disappear on the volume of deer that are killed yearly.

Comment

It all depends on the buck to doe ratio. If you have 1 buck to every 5 does of course the bucks are going to breed more doe, because they have to. But if you have a 1:1 then I think this may be true.

Comment

Working...
                                X