Transfer iPhone text messages to PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer iPhone text messages to PC?

What is the best way to transfer iPhone 6 text messages to a PC so I can load them onto an iPhone 8? I know there are stand-alone programs that advertise to do this, but I don't want any extra ad-ware or other junk. I'm almost certain I have more than 5 gigs of messages and I don't really want to pay for more space in iCloud....I don't think, depending on what my options are. Opinions and experiences are encouraged. Thanks

Back up your phone with itunes on a computer and "restore" it to your new phone.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
      Back up your phone with itunes on a computer and "restore" it to your new phone.
      This is by far the easiest way to switch phones and have everything on the new phone look just like it did on the old phone.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        This is by far the easiest way to switch phones and have everything on the new phone look just like it did on the old phone.
        Thanks guys, that's what I'll do.

Comment

Got the phone today, hooked it up to my iTunes & I’m trying to restore it, but it asks me for a “password to unlock your iPhone backup”. I’ve tried every password that I’ve ever used. Does anyone know if this would have been setup the first time I downloaded iTunes & began using it, or when I changed phones...or laptops? This is infuriating because there’s apparently no way to recove it. HELP!

Comment

Wish I could help. - that sounds frustrating

Comment

It could be the unlock code for your phone or our Apple ID pasword.

It's one or the other.

Comment

It may be a password you entered to encrypt your iPhone backup...

This is an option when you back your phone up to iTunes. I did that with my last iPhone.

I didn't t write down the encryption password and there was NO recovery option o could find.

Very frustrating, I searched the web for a solution.

The only way I got around it was to back up the phone to ICloud (had to buy 50 gb ICloud storage), then restore the brand new phone from that iCloud backup.

After that, I was able to back up to ITunes as a new device.

It was a royal PITA but it worked.

The encrypted backup is a great idea to secure your iPhone, but you're out of luck if you don't remember the password.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

iTunes, or have the genius bar do it for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Shot View Post
                    Wish I could help. - that sounds frustrating
                    Incredibly.

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                    It could be the unlock code for your phone or our Apple ID password. It's one or the other.
                    Nope, tried both.

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post

This is an option when you back your phone up to iTunes. I did that with my last iPhone.

I didn't t write down the encryption password and there was NO recovery option I could find.

The only way I got around it was to back up the phone to ICloud (had to buy 50 gb ICloud storage), then restore the brand new phone from that iCloud backup.

The encrypted backup is a great idea to secure your iPhone, but you're out of luck if you don't remember the password.

Hope that helps.

I was looking at this option last night and wondering if that would work. Sounds like it may be my best way out at this point. Thanks!

Originally posted by RAINCO View Post
                    iTunes, or have the genius bar do it for you...
                    Tried them last night. All they could tell me is that they couldn't help me.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                      Incredibly.

Nope, tried both.

I was looking at this option last night and wondering if that would work. Sounds like it may be my best way out at this point. Thanks!

Tried them last night. All they could tell me is that they couldn't help me.

Real "genius, isn't it? I really like the idea of the encryption but not having a recovery system for it is ridiculous!

Lots of techies online gripe about that.

Hope the iCloud option works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post

I didn't t write down the encryption password and there was NO recovery option o could find.

Hope that helps.

This is the only way to do a backup and restore if you encrypt the backup and forget the password, my last phone I had this happen and I don’t even remember selecting the encryption option, or typing in a password I wouldn’t write down or remember. I ended up starting over and lucky had my personal iPhone forwarded to this company IPhone and moved info over that way. Incredibly frustrating.

Comment

Can you not back up to some other machine with Itunes and perhaps skip the encryption? We backup iphones to several PCs in this house without issue.

Comment

Can't you back it up to iCloud and then restore from that?

Comment

I recently purchased an iPhone 6 on here to upgrade from my 5 yes I realize I am several models behind! I took my phones to AT&T and asked if they could do the transfer for me. It was done within 20 minutes and free of charge.

Comment

Working...
                              X