Best coon guards for your deer feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best coon guards for your deer feeder?

I find that I have problems with the coons climbing up and working on emptying out my deer feeders. Time or two they pulled down the whole unit letting all the corn out even with a cage attached. I use the cheaper Academy tripod feeders. I have rigged one up but it is simply small cage that is rigged to attach to the top of the unit with a piece of rebar slid thru the top of the unit support the wire from being pulled down by the coons swinging on it. too bulky and a little hard to get off to service the timer unit but it does work. Then new cheap feeders are a different matter with no good way to attach the cage.

HAS anyone figured out how to build your own Racoon guard that will attach to your feeder to stop or slow them down?

Any pictures and rigging advice welcomed on what has worked best for you.

I'm assuming 55 gallon drums? I added a 55 gallon lid to my square hopper feeder so I could use one I made to fit a 55 gallon drum bottom out of 1x1" welded wire. Like $15 for enough wire to make 2 guards. Available at Lowes or TSC..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Varmint Guard 55gal - TBH.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24539035

Name:	Varmint guard2 (Medium).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	24539036

Name:	IMG_5249 (Medium).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24539037

Name:	IMG_6807 (Medium).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	24539038

Name:	IMG_7544 (Medium).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24539039

Name:	IMG_8930 (Medium).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	24539042

Name:	IMG_0073 (Medium).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	24539040

Name:	IMG_7042.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24539041
    Last edited by Smart; 05-07-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Cac

Comment

Slinky time

Comment

Put Slinky's on the legs of the feeder It will confuse them.

Comment

I know where you can get some cheap.
            http://www.gunnyart.com/product/large-slinky/

Comment

I did something similar to Smarts cage but mine are bigger. 24” tall 2x2 welded wire around a 55gal drum...attached using self tapping screws and bottle caps as washers/grabbers for the wire. I used hog/bull rings to fasten the bottom flat wire to the ring/cage. I cut a 15”x15” hole in the cage wire...leaving wire at the top and bottom for structural integrity. I then took a 24”x24” piece of the same wire...using the tag ends from the cut...dual purposed those for attachment and to fashion as a hinge. The 24x24 cut wire acts as a door on the outside of the cage. I cut some small gauge chain and fastened it to the wire door. On the other end of the chain, I attached some small springs and carabiners to the end of the springs. The springs keep the tension of the gate/door closed. The carabiners work nicely on the 2x2 wire for onehanded operation. Two chain latches...top and bottom.

I could just wire or ziptie the gate closed but wiring and unwiring wears the wire out quickly. I couldve used the carabiners as latches but I didnt like the slack it left in the door. “Give a coon an inch...”

Ill post some pics later.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-07-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Comment

I am not very sporting as one of the feeders is 45 yards from my back door. I did find that the Mossberg Mavericks do not handle the 12 guage 3" 00 and 000 buck shot well as they rock these little guns but the old Mossberg 3.5 duck and goose gun will shoot them well and not have a problem with the pressure.

The rebar is holding this feeder but what I have is the cheap Academy plastic 89$ on end of summer sale- 4 bag of corn feeders that do not have a lot of metal to work with as everything is plastic though I think that I can rig a good cage with some more ideas.

The one in my field away from the house is the new cheap version with everything plastic. May have to try to treat it like a plaster wall and hang it that way. Suggestions appreciated as I was out of corn in both when I stopped by to ck cows on Saturday am.
                  I do like what you did for the 55 gal drums.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                    I am not very sporting as one of the feeders is 45 yards from my back door. I did find that the Mossberg Mavericks do not handle the 12 guage 3" 00 and 000 buck shot well as they rock these little guns but the old Mossberg 3.5 duck and goose gun will shoot them well and not have a problem with the pressure.

The rebar is holding this feeder but what I have is the cheap Academy plastic 89$ on end of summer sale- 4 bag of corn feeders that do not have a lot of metal to work with as everything is plastic though I think that I can rig a good cage with some more ideas.

The one in my field away from the house is the new cheap version with everything plastic. May have to try to treat it like a plaster wall and hang it that way. Suggestions appreciated as I was out of corn in both when I stopped by to ck cows on Saturday am.
                    I do like what you did for the 55 gal drums.

Doesn’t matter if it’s plastic.

Comment

No such thing..

Comment

I solved the problem with 5 inch diameter cheap PVC pipe. slip a piece over the leg aboyt 18 inches from the ground and zip tie it at the top so it is loose and wobbles. When the coons try and climb up it wobbles and they cant hold on.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Build one out of 1x1 wire as others have or you can get them at Premier Feeders in Brookshire for pretty cheap. Whatever you do make it the same size as the barrel so they can't reach the spinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                            Slinky time
                            Originally posted by Jkbow View Post
                            Put Slinky's on the legs of the feeder It will confuse them.

This^^^^^^^. Slinky's on the feeder legs. I've been doing it like that for a while now. They don't steal my corn anymore. I had to replace one Slinky about 3 months ago because it got too stretched out that it no longer would be effective. For a couple $ each it's by far the cheapest deterrent there is.

Comment

I used 1x2 welded wire, and the coons can’t get to the spinner plate anymore! Built just like the ones in the pics above. The coons still eat off the ground, and every once in a while climb around in the cage trying, but they just can’t reach the gold!!!

I’ve tried the pvc pipes and tack strips and grease in the feeder legs. Coons just laugh at all those!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X