Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Were getting the our spring plots ready to plant in a couple of weeks. This year going to plant a 50/50 blend of the Tuner Seed Spring Deer mix and their Spring Dove mix. Then will put on a 1000lbs of fertilizer. Pray for good spring rains.

DEER MIX
    Cowpeas (Iron & Clay) 20%
    Cowpeas (Red Ripper)
    15%
    Lab Lab (Rungi)
    15%
    Soybeans (Laredo)
    15%
    Sunn Hemp
    13%
    Peas (California Blackeye)
    10%
    Buckwheat
    5%
    Okra (Spineless)
    5%
    Chicory 2%
    Cost Per Acre $35.00
    Cost Per Pound $1.75
    Pounds Per Acre 20.00
    April 1 - June 1

DOVE MIX

Millet, Browntop 25%
    Bird Magnet Sorghum
    25%
    Sunflowers (Hybrid Oil)
    25%
    Millet (German Foxtail)
    25%
    Cost Per Acre $40.00
    Cost Per Pound $2.00
    Pounds Per Acre 20.00
    April 1 - June 1

DOVE MIX

Click image for larger version

Name:	springplot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	25142800
    Last edited by BrandonA; 03-27-2018, 08:50 AM.

Should be awesome. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Brandon, are you drilling seeds? 20# sounds awfully light for broadcasting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        Brandon, are you drilling seeds? 20# sounds awfully light for broadcasting them.
        No I will be broadcasting. I will get 150bs of each blend. I just copied and paste the info of their site.

Comment

I got herbicide sprayed and fertilizer spread last weekend. I cut two new plots which will make me 7 acres now. One plot will be sunn hemp, one is RR peas,sunflowers and IC peas, the big 5 acre plot is straight IC peas.

Brandon, if you dont mind me asking what was your cost on fertilizer this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            I got herbicide sprayed and fertilizer spread last weekend. I cut two new plots which will make me 7 acres now. One plot will be sunn hemp, one is RR peas,sunflowers and IC peas, the big 5 acre plot is straight IC peas.

Brandon, if you dont mind me asking what was your cost on fertilizer this year?
            We haven't picked it up yet. We don't buy it in the bags but will have all the fertilizer and seed mixed at once and I use the feed store buggy to spread it. This plots is a little over 6 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              We haven't picked it up yet. We don't buy it in the bags but will have all the fertilizer and seed mixed at once and I use the feed store buggy to spread it. This plots is a little over 6 acres.
              That is what I used. I did not have to add much nitrogen and only needed 200 pounds per acre. I was at 500.00 for fertilizer and no charge for the buggy.This fall I may use the fertilizer with herbicide oil mixed together.

Comment

That is what I used. I did not have to add much nitrogen and only needed 200 pounds per acre. I was at 500.00 for fertilizer and no charge for the buggy.This fall I may use the fertilizer with herbicide oil mixed together.
                Dad thinks we paid $400 for 2100lbs this past fall. So Im thinking it should be about half this spring or pretty close.

Comment

I had to have magnesium and zinc added in with my fertilizer and it pushed the cost up a little. When I get my soil samples back from A&M, I give em to my fertilizer guy and he makes the blend.

We supposed to get a gully washer here tomorrow, with hail and high winds. Been real dry around these parts.

Comment

I had to have magnesium and zinc added in with my fertilizer and it pushed the cost up a little. When I get my soil samples back from A&M, I give em to my fertilizer guy and he makes the blend.

We supposed to get a gully washer here tomorrow, with hail and high winds. Been real dry around these parts.
                    Gotcha. What are you planting this year?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Gotcha. What are you planting this year?

I have one plot that will be sunn hemp, one plot of red ripper peas, iron clay peas and sunflower, and one 5 acre plot of iron clay peas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

20lbs broadcast for deer plot seems awfully low. For a dove plot that sounds perfect

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          20lbs broadcast for deer plot seems awfully low. For a dove plot that sounds perfect
                          I will be getting 1.5X the recommended amount.

Comment

I use an interesting rule of thumb for seeding rates when planting mixtures that I learned from the 'No till Farmer ' report on cover crops. Take the total number of species in a mix, add 1, then divide each monoculture rate recommended by that number.

For example if there are 5 crops in a mix, add 1 and the total is 6. If hairy vetch is in the mix and its recommended that it be planted at 40 pounds per acre divide by 6 to get a rate of about 6.7 pounds of hairy vetch per acre as part of the mix.

There is another cool rule where you take the total number of species and just make sure that the total planting rate equals 100% of the planting rate for any single specie. This allows you to mix and match giving any particular cultivar preference if desired.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              I use an interesting rule of thumb for seeding rates when planting mixtures that I learned from the 'No till Farmer ' report on cover crops. Take the total number of species in a mix, add 1, then divide each monoculture rate recommended by that number.

For example if there are 5 crops in a mix, add 1 and the total is 6. If hairy vetch is in the mix and its recommended that it be planted at 40 pounds per acre divide by 6 to get a rate of about 6.7 pounds of hairy vetch per acre as part of the mix.

There is another cool rule where you take the total number of species and just make sure that the total planting rate equals 100% of the planting rate for any single specie. This allows you to mix and match giving any particular cultivar preference if desired.
                              This is a interesting concept. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X