Round 2 boys! Today’s key word is patience lol

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
        Round 2 boys! Today’s key word is patience lol

Hahaha good luck!!

Comment

Haha that last part was just for you!

Comment

This post just ensured a lot of beer and drinking this weekend.

Comment

It will stall , butt [emoji16]it's been my experience that butts and brisket good faster on ceramic grills that stick cookers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Time is merely a scattershooting guideline. It's done when the internal temps says it done. I have found that the BGE, UDS and WSM style verticals smokers cook meat a little quicker than an offset.... I'm assuming due to a more direct type heat.

Sounds like you are moving along fine. If you want to pull it, I would push it to 200. 190 is not enough in my opinion.
                This ^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                  It will stall , butt [emoji16]it's been my experience that butts and brisket good faster on ceramic grills that stick cookers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                  Haha I see what you did there! I cooked a brisket the other day in about 5 hours on the egg it freaked me out because I thought that was way too fast but it was pretty good! Nice and tender

Comment

I power cook all my briskets and butts now. No reason to cook them all day.

Comment

Haha I see what you did there! I cooked a brisket the other day in about 5 hours on the egg it freaked me out because I thought that was way too fast but it was pretty good! Nice and tender
                      The BGE cooks things quick... like scary quick!

I run my BGE at 225*-250* depending on what I'm cooking or how I want to cook it. Butts usually in the 225ish range. Injected with a mixture of apple juice and Tony's garlic butter marinade, coated with Buc-ee's pork & rib rub with a pan of half apple juice and half water. I'll mist it with straight apple juice out of a spray bottle every 30 minutes. Once it hits 198*-203*, it's getting wrapped in foil, towels and put inside a cooler for AT LEAST an hour. (Just ordered some pink butcher paper so I'm going to start going that route in the future).

Briskets aren't as forgiving as pork butts. I know everyone is different and I've never refused to eat something because it wasn't cooked the way I cook it With that being said, try different methods. Some prefer 225*, some prefer 250*. With the BGE, it's better IMO to stay on the lower end of that range. I first learned how to cook briskets on a stick smoker by opening the shrink wrap up, rubbing them down with Adam's brisket rub, 8 hours in the smoke then wrap them up for another 8+ hours. I never did "time & temp"... Had some that were excellent, and some that I wouldn't feed my dog. Experiment with different rubs and temps and keep a journal. You'd be amazed when you slice that picture perfect brisket and it melts in your mouth with the perfect seasoning you'll ask yourself, now how did I cook this one? Write your trials and errors down as to not make the same mistakes twice. It's all a learning experience.

As I usually buy whole briskets, slice the flat and chop the point, finishing temperature will usually be in the 190*-200* range depending on where I probe it. Wrap it in foil, towels and in the cooler for at least an hour.

Over time, I've read and experimented more. I now take the time and trim the fat, especially the "hard" fat on the point. It's not totally removed, just thinned out. I tried the Franklin method of only salt and pepper and it turned out good. I saw once where Myron Mixon injected his briskets with beef broth, tried that with the salt and pepper and it was absolutely top notch!!!

And remember, it's better to have your brisket at room temperature before you begin smoking it. And that goes ONLY for beef!

By what I've read, it seems the BGE is still "new" to you. Make sure to calibrate the thermometer on your BGE. Mine was off by almost 50* when it was new.

I bought a few aftermarket accessories that really help out a lot IMO.

Stainless chimney cap:

Buy Smokeware's Stainless Steel Vented Chimney Cap for BGE. Weather proof, maintains temperature setting, and virtually indestructible! Replaces daisy wheel.

Stainless steel coal grate:

Last edited by Tubby; 03-13-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Time is merely a scattershooting guideline. It's done when the internal temps says it done. I have found that the BGE, UDS and WSM style verticals smokers cook meat a little quicker than an offset.... I'm assuming due to a more direct type heat.

Sounds like you are moving along fine. If you want to pull it, I would push it to 200. 190 is not enough in my opinion.
                        Listen to this advice. I did a few years back and it's made things easier and better outcome.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                          I power cook all my briskets and butts now. No reason to cook them all day.
                          Boil them in liquid smoke and 500* oven for an hour! mmm mmmmm!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                            The BGE cooks things quick... like scary quick!

I run my BGE at 225*-250* depending on what I'm cooking or how I want to cook it. Butts usually in the 225ish range. Injected with a mixture of apple juice and Tony's garlic butter marinade, coated with Buc-ee's pork & rib rub with a pan of half apple juice and half water. I'll mist it with straight apple juice out of a spray bottle every 30 minutes. Once it hits 198*-203*, it's getting wrapped in foil, towels and put inside a cooler for AT LEAST an hour. (Just ordered some pink butcher paper so I'm going to start going that route in the future).

Briskets aren't as forgiving as pork butts. I know everyone is different and I've never refused to eat something because it wasn't cooked the way I cook it With that being said, try different methods. Some prefer 225*, some prefer 250*. With the BGE, it's better IMO to stay on the lower end of that range. I first learned how to cook briskets on a stick smoker by opening the shrink wrap up, rubbing them down with Adam's brisket rub, 8 hours in the smoke then wrap them up for another 8+ hours. I never did "time & temp"... Had some that were excellent, and some that I wouldn't feed my dog. Experiment with different rubs and temps and keep a journal. You'd be amazed when you slice that picture perfect brisket and it melts in your mouth with the perfect seasoning you'll ask yourself, now how did I cook this one? Write your trials and errors down as to not make the same mistakes twice. It's all a learning experience.

As I usually buy whole briskets, slice the flat and chop the point, finishing temperature will usually be in the 190*-200* range depending on where I probe it. Wrap it in foil, towels and in the cooler for at least an hour.

Over time, I've read and experimented more. I now take the time and trim the fat, especially the "hard" fat on the point. It's not totally removed, just thinned out. I tried the Franklin method of only salt and pepper and it turned out good. I saw once where Myron Mixon injected his briskets with beef broth, tried that with the salt and pepper and it was absolutely top notch!!!

And remember, it's better to have your brisket at room temperature before you begin smoking it. And that goes ONLY for beef!

By what I've read, it seems the BGE is still "new" to you. Make sure to calibrate the thermometer on your BGE. Mine was off by almost 50* when it was new.

I bought a few aftermarket accessories that really help out a lot IMO.

Stainless chimney cap:

Buy Smokeware's Stainless Steel Vented Chimney Cap for BGE. Weather proof, maintains temperature setting, and virtually indestructible! Replaces daisy wheel.

Stainless steel coal grate:

http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-Hi...-dia_p_19.html
                            Wow, lots of great info in there! Thanks a lot I really appreciate all the tips! I’ve almost ordered that chimney no less than 6 times lol always forget or talk myself out of it lol. But yes sir the egg and long smokes are all new pretty new to me but I’m learning!

Comment

Wow, lots of great info in there! Thanks a lot I really appreciate all the tips! I’ve almost ordered that chimney no less than 6 times lol always forget or talk myself out of it lol. But yes sir the egg and long smokes are all new pretty new to me but I’m learning!

Take the existing chimney and turn it around 180* so that when you open the lid, the daisy wheel lid won't swing open towards the back every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

guess I have never done it right by the gods that post up here. mine is done after 8 hours at 225-250 the temp may have been checked a few years ago, but pulled it at 160 deg. foil tent for 1 hour and then started at it. just too much stuff to make from it. well worth the time spent.

Comment

Working...
                                X