Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're welcome TXDispatcher....it was my pleasure to share the experience.

The experience was a pleasure too!

Comment

Thanks Lenny, that took me back to the 70's in the Saline river bottoms outside Leola Arkansas, with the exception of the GPS!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
        I'm not a hippie, but nice try with the assumption. If you'd like to talk ****, why not do it in my PM? Why be "That guy" that just aims to belittle behind a keyboard in the main thread?. If you don't like my opinions that's fine. I won't ask for yours. The OP did request thoughts, which is why I shared mine.
        Your being "that guy".

Comment

And thanks to the op for the report! I want to give it a shot one day

Comment

I’be been offered to go in Arkansas. I will prolly go next year. You will enjoy it

Comment

Great write up Lenny!! Seen that happen a bunch of times!!! ... the newbie is where the deer seems to go... Used to think it was some magical influence that caused that, but more likely, it was the old timers and dog handlers placing the newbies in the primo spots so they'd get a shot... I know I've been fortunate enough to be that "newbie" a time or two, and got my first "big" buck that way with my brand new Browning "humpback" magnum that my dad got me for Christmas... I see now that it was probably not an accident that the first race of the morning I just happened to be in THE spot... My dad and uncle insisted I "sit right there on that stump and get ready"... .

thanks again for the great write up sir!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Great write up Lenny!! Seen that happen a bunch of times!!! ... the newbie is where the deer seems to go... Used to think it was some magical influence that caused that, but more likely, it was the old timers and dog handlers placing the newbies in the primo spots so they'd get a shot... I know I've been fortunate enough to be that "newbie" a time or two, and got my first "big" buck that way with my brand new Browning "humpback" magnum that my dad got me for Christmas... I see now that it was probably not an accident that the first race of the morning I just happened to be in THE spot... My dad and uncle insisted I "sit right there on that stump and get ready"... .

thanks again for the great write up sir!
                Thank you sir... I believe you are exactly right. Tommy knew where that deer was going to come out, and he directed me to "the spot", knowing I'd see something special, and I did.

Comment

Glad u had a good time. A good race can get your blood boiling

Comment

Thanks for the update. Glad you had a good time. Now you can see why many of us enjoyed this type of hunting. It's not as easy as some make it out to be.

Comment

Good times. I miss it a lot.

Comment

I grew up in South Carolina running deer with dogs. I miss the hell out of it. Shooting a deer that's moving at a steady clip with buckshot is awesome. Listening to dogs on a trail is even better. And the comraderie is second to none.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I love hunting deer with dogs, if it was still legal in Texas, i would still be doing it. If you have never done this, you are in for a treat, granted it's not for everyone on the GS, some may have had bad experiences in years past, but for me it is by far my favorite way to hunt deer. anytime i am invited to hunt deer with dogs where it is legal, i make a special point to make it on that hunt. I hope you enjoy the fellowship of the deer drive with dogs, and the sound of a good race.

Comment

Each hunter only has so many tags. That number of tags is decided upon by the state who has wildlife biologists who determine how many deer can be taken in a given area. Why does it matter by which method those deer are taken? All of my deer hunting growing up was done in northern Mississippi. They run dogs out there like crazy. Nobody in my family does and I've never been a part of a hiring party that was running dogs. It's just not my family's style, so to speak. But, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. To each his own. The main reason I don't care for it has nothing to do with whether or not it's ethical. I just really enjoy the quiet of a morning in the woods and watching all that God has created coming alive with the sunrise. It's a little more difficult to enjoy that when you have a pack of hounds hot on a trail making all kinds of racquet all morning long. It's especially obnoxious on a really cold calm morning. You can hear those dogs from forever away. Just gets on my nerves. But, again, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Comment

Great read LennyWayne.

Comment

Great story Lenny, thanks for sharing. I've hunted with dogs around Star City AR and it's quite a rush!!
                                There's a dog hunter in our area and I always enjoy hearing them when he runs em......
                                No sound sweeter than a hound on the hunt, especially a Walker Dog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X