No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool GarGuy.....I am really enjoying following along.

Comment

anything new?

get that gator?

Comment

Thank you GarGuy. I'm a fan...

Comment

Thats awesome

Comment

Sweet! i'm all caught up

Comment

I have the matching light in my dinning room do you need another one?

Comment

This is awesome, i have always wanted to do this.

Comment

Good stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                    anything new?

get that gator?
                    Didnt get the giant.. have hooks back out for him tonight. he is in a place where we have to hook him. We did pass two dang nice gators in another spot that we could easily have taken.....Hope that wasnt a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      That's awesome GarGuy. Which one are you referring to as a Scottsbluff?

(I fixed your typo. Keith)
                      Johnny, I was talking about the third point from the left in my hand on the top row. Heavily ground base percussion flaking to a median ridge. Expanded base with thinning from the base. It isnt classic Scotty but I think it is Scottsbluff II.

May not be though.

Comment

Your testimony is very inspiring and I am beyond impressed with what you've done, what you are doing and what you have yet to do. Definitely following this thread.
                        Last edited by Neck; 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Johnny, what do you make of this point? Heavily ground base including the surface but is made in a way that looks like it hafted at an angle. It is perfect workmanship. No damage.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it might be a small knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                              Looks like it might be a small knife.
                              Agreed. It is a blade of some sort. About 3 inches long. The odd deal is that it seem to have been hafted at an angle the base is ground and formed at about a 20 degree angle to the blade. Chipping style indicates late archaic but base is heavily ground.

Comment

Yes, I don't think I would call that 1 point a Scottsbluff simply because of the flaking along the surface. About 99% of the Scotty's I have seen have parallel flaking along the surface. Here is a real nice one TBH member Clayton found awhile back. Maybe he will chime in here in a bit. He is very good on his early archaic/paleo knowledge.

Now that knife looks to be made out of Ogallala chert which was fairly common during woodland times so I don't think that piece is old either as you mentioned. The grounding along the base could possibly be just thinning strikes along the base perhaps. I would go with a woodland type knife. They made them in different shapes n sizes along the way.

I'm jealous!

Comment

Working...
                                X