No announcement yet.

pallet wood addiction -smokehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a perfect smoke house for cold smoking cured meats at a temperature between 90-125. You can cook ham, bacon jerky etc in a cold smoker like that.

Now if you are wanting to BBQ in there with temperatures of 225+ you may need to change up the design some.

Comment

Your a movie star?

Just messing with you bud. I like your project! Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like

Comment

give us an update if you have made any changes? I am thinking of doing something like this.

Comment

Nice build!

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
              give us an update if you have made any changes? I am thinking of doing something like this.
              I'm planning a larger heat/smoke source later. I wanted to treat the wood before it weathered. I wanted something that would be safe and easyI should have researched it better, I coated the outside only with boiled linseed oil.

Comment

oiled exterior

I added battons over the side gaps. I thought about kitchen grade silicone for other gaps....any opinions appreciated.
                Attached Files

Comment

Is USHT stamped somewhere on the pallet? I'm interested to know because I build various things with pallets. Cool project you have going there.

Comment

absolutely for this build

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                    Is USHT stamped somewhere on the pallet? I'm interested to know because I build various things with pallets. Cool project you have going there.
                    I do not pick them up unless I see the branded stamp,and thanks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now I'll know what to look for, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                        I do not pick them up unless I see the branded stamp,and thanks.
                        Why that brand? I'm looking to build a cold smoker similar to yours.

Comment

HT stands for Heat Treated. This means the wood has been pasteurized. It has been heated in an oven at 133 degrees F. These pallets are used for international import / export to prevent the crossing of insects and other diseases. Insects burrow in wood and the wood also absorbs liquid which might be a disease. Heat Treated pallets are required on all loads going into Foreign countries. The has an HT and abbreviation of the where it was treated and the number is the assigned sight where that pallet is designated to so that pallet can be traced back if any contamination has been found.

Comment

Originally posted by juanmcasasjr View Post
                            HT stands for Heat Treated. This means the wood has been pasteurized. It has been heated in an oven at 133 degrees F. These pallets are used for international import / export to prevent the crossing of insects and other diseases. Insects burrow in wood and the wood also absorbs liquid which might be a disease. Heat Treated pallets are required on all loads going into Foreign countries. The has an HT and abbreviation of the where it was treated and the number is the assigned sight where that pallet is designated to so that pallet can be traced back if any contamination has been found.
                            Interesting and makes perfect sense.

I assume these are harder to locate?

Comment

Yes sir. And more expensive too. We sell them for $8.50 per pallet.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                                I added battons over the side gaps. I thought about kitchen grade silicone for other gaps....any opinions appreciated.
                                If it isn't going to be visible from the outside, you can use ordinary kitchen and bathroom caulk. I used it in my smoke house and run temps as high as 260°.

Looking great!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X