No announcement yet.

Non-feeder deer movement - East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deer movement I am looking for is not necessarily the rut. We all know bucks are looking and chasing during the rut. But do bucks tend to move in the daylight hours on certain days of the month (moon related) regardless of the rutting period. If so, it could open up specific days to be in the woods early and late in the season. Remember the days 3 before and after a full moon and 3 before and after a new moon. All this takes time and hundreds of dated pictures to find the possible trends. Something to make deer hunting a little more interesting.

Checked with my cousin. He had a picture of a really big 10pt near Zavalla just after noon on a day in December. 3rd day before the full moon. Only pic of him during the season on 5 cameras. I also checked a few of my pics from last year and 4 out of 5 were one hour within moon overhead.

Comment

I used to be big on thinking there was more movement at night during a full moon (probably because I heard this as a kid). My cameras have convinced me otherwise... they move at night ALL the time, and OFTEN, no matter what the moon is. Now I will say that the last two GOOD bucks I've seen were during "All Day" sits during the last week of October, the first came at 2:10 in the afternoon, and the other was at 1:45 in the afternoon (not same day). There is a deer moving somewhere at all hours of the day, everyday.

Comment

Non-feeder deer movement - East Texas

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
        Pretty consistent answers and I have found that the main rut is either side of Halloween. But a lot of big bucks are shot late November because bucks are traveling looking for fewer does that come in during the so called 2nd rut.

This. I killed my buck(avatar) last year on November 28th at 1:45 in the afternoon. He was run down just cruising his rub line I guess looking for a hot doe. It was raining all day that day. I sat from sun up till then. That was the only deer I saw that day which is very rare for where I hunt here in rusk county. I just checked. This was 3 days after the full moon. Don't know if this is relevant because of his rutting behavior. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Pineywoodkiller; 09-07-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I'm in Far East part of Henderson county and the rut is the usually going strong the last weekend of bow season going into first weekend of rifle season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstang View Post
            I live in Buna and do some hunting there, but most of the time I'm up around Pineland. Deer in Buna appear to show like that usually about a week earlier. Pineland for me is usually the last week of October, give or take.
            Pineland has good bucks indeed, but you sure do got work for them and put in the time.

Comment

Working...
            X