Finding God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    I can testify. I hated my wife, that’s a strong term and I’m ashamed to admit it, but it was the truth. God redeemed her, broke her of addiction and crushed my hardened heart. That was 6 years and 2 kids ago.We have a different marriage today, as long as we keep it Christ centered
    Plus you’v got a great preacher!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by rileydog View Post
      Plus you’v got a great preacher!!! Lol
      Amen! (Does this one count for tomorrow?)

Comment

Man, I hate to hear of your marriage troubles my friend, but I see a huge ray of hope in what you are describing. I found myself in a similar spot years ago where I doubted God fundamentally but sure knew I needed Him if He was legit!

At this critical crossroads where you are wondering if the Christian God can help, the next step is to learn WHO the Christian God of the Bible is...and decide what to do from there. I did that and it changed my life in a POWERFUL way!

Christians talk about their faith in Christian lingo and jargon…sharing pieces of their faith and powerful testimonies…but it can be confusing and difficult to grasp the full picture. I was there so I feel compelled to offer my full understanding of the Christian Faith below:

It starts with believing that God, the intelligent Creator, made heaven and earth. This is not the huge stretch that the Scientific community would have you believe. To me, everywhere I look, (especially the outdoor creation on earth!!!) I see order and design and beauty...from the Atom at the smallest scale to the Solar System. As I consider all the complexities in this world I’m forced to think - how could this have happened by chance? Let’s examine the iphone – and the raw components that constitute its design. If you put all the raw components in a pile measured to the exact amount – and generated an intense explosion amongst the pile…would this ever result in an iphone? Certainly not!! Intelligent design is what’s ultimately behind the iphone creation. I submit that a human and many of the wonders of the world are infinitely more sophisticated than an iphone…and brother, they needed an intelligent designer too!

Once you buy the idea that you are created by God it’s natural to want to know him. The story of the Christian God is catalogued in the Bible starting with the Old Testament and closing with the Gospel / New Testament…which is the greatest story ever told in my estimation!

My version of the Cliff Notes are as follows:

In the Old Testament God created man.
        He then put man in dominion over creation.
        He gave man free will, but God established rules for man to live by.
        No single man could follow the rules perfectly every second of every day – that’s sin.
        The penalty of sin is death or separation from God.

But God had a plan…

In the New Testament God sends His son Jesus to earth, born of a virgin (confirming His divinity) for 2 main purposes:

1) Jesus experienced the trials of a mortal human life in order to be documented in scripture. He lived a life without sin, so the account of His life serves as a road map for living as a Christian.

2) Jesus was obedient to God’s plan by offering His life/death on the Cross as a sacrifice for all the sin in the world. Because He was the Son of God, and He was without sin – the value of his death was sufficient payment to cover your sin, my sin and all sin.

In the final part of the Gospel story the corpse of Jesus is locked in a tomb guarded by Roman soldiers (men who had nothing to gain and everything to lose by leaving their post or allowing Jesus’ body to be removed)… but the corpse was found missing because Jesus rose from the dead. Christ predicted his death and resurrection (the second sign of His divinity) prior to his death.

The historical evidence for what I outlined above is powerful. Someone above mentioned "The Case for Christ" by Stroebel which is a great read!

The Good news…

GOD LOVES YOU….we know this because He allowed the most UNJUST event ever to unfold (the death of His sinless Son) in order that you and I could miss the penalty of death…and have access to His presence in our life today and in Heaven for eternity!

The Bible says that if you believe in you heart and confess with your mouth that the Gospel story is true – then you will be saved!

Understanding this – to be a Christian one must simply say (pray) to God something like this:
        “God I know that I am a sinner, and I believe that your Son died in my place. Out of gratitude I give my life to you and ask you forgive my sin and change my heart forever – AMEN!”

If or when you pray that prayer – please let a fellow believer in Christ know about it ASAP.

In any event – my prayers are with you, your spiritual journey and you marriage!

Comment

Originally posted by bigt6450 View Post
          Based on your recommendation I just ordered a copy of this off eBay for less than $4. I grew up in a religious family but also stopped going once I went to college. My wife is an active Catholic, and is starting to take our 19 month old son. I don’t want to restrict their faith or spiritual growth, so I’m open to exploring my beliefs again. Thank you for the recommendation.
          You're welcome, it gets into the deep science of our body and how we were made in one part, and how even scientists are realizing there is no way that we don't have a creator. He treated the journey like a court case and asked hard questions to Christian scholars, other Athiests, scientests, and others to come to an educated conclusion as to whether he should believe in God. He now travels to churches and shares his story. Very interesting book.
          Last edited by ontarget; 07-01-2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

A 1:13am post then he was never heard from again

OP I hope you at least read this thread. I want you to know that I'm still praying for you and your wife.

Comment

OP - PM me for a private talk about this situation if you would like. I recently walked this walk and wouldn't change ONE thing about it..

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                Sounds to me like you found your way to God. Talk with your friend who helped you find your peace.
                Exactly. He sends people into our lives for a reason. Stay in touch with this friend. Prayers up for you and your situation.

Comment

Your story sounds like that movie - Fireproof. Do the Love Dare, be consistent, be devoted. Is she still leaves, it was God's plan. At least it will save you.

Comment

No I didn't disappear and I have read everything posted. I have gone to a church last Sunday for the first time in over 10 years. I am seeking out counciling through a Christian based agency. And I prayed for guidance for the first time in I don't know how long.

Comment

You don't need to find God, he's already there whether you know it or not.

I used to feel like God probably wouldn't want to care about a guy like me, on account of all the wrong I've done.. so I didn't bother with prayer.

As I got older and had people in my life I cared about, I used to make prayer for them, but I still wouldn't ever pray for myself, because I didn't feel like I deserved anything from God.

Later on I talked to a friend who helped me understand that I was being prideful by not praying for myself. I finally understood what it meant to allow yourself to be weak in front of God. You have to ask God for the things you want and need in life. You have to ask God for his help. Ask God for his mercy. And he will carry you.

I've been through ups and downs, sometimes being closer to God than others. Sometimes I've lost my way and I forget about prayer completely. I try not to beat myself up about it, because as long as you realize you are one of God's creatures, whatever you're going through may just be part of his plan for you. God will not test you with more than you are capable of handling.

I hope you sit down and ask God for what you need. He is always listening.

Comment

Hugh, I know you as a friend, and I was absolutely heartbroken to read your post! I know what your family means to you and I know you want to keep it together. Since we hunted together some years ago, that young son of yours (actually hers)... is probably all grown up, but still he too is an important part of your family and life, I hope.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread by some dear brothers and sisters in Christ. I suggest you read through this thread in detail and study what is posted. Indeed God loves you. He loves you enough that he gave His only son to die on a cross for your sins and mine. Your wife knows this, and being a "Southern girl", she likely is a "born again Christian woman"... The times I met her, she seemed to have a soft and true heart. Hopefully that is true to this day and even though you guys have relocated out of Texas since she had a bit of trouble with our "heat"... I'd ask that you also consider that she is separated by many miles and even a country from her upbringing, home and family. You (and her son maybe) are all she has. I pray that she hangs in there long enough to see you develop your relationship with God through his Son Jesus Christ... At first, I know it seems to be an overwhelming task and very intimidating... It can be just that, but once you go all in and just let Jesus be your guide and example of how to live, it's not overwhelming or intimidating at all.
                        What is most important is that this relationship with God is between YOU AND GOD. Though your wife is the love of your life, she is secondary to your relationship with God. It is God's desire that she be part of that relationship, but you are primary in that relationship. That comes first. Secondly, God has given husbands and wives very specific instructions in His Word, The Bible as to how our relationships are to be constructed.

Hugh, get yourself a Bible, preferably one of the modern translations that is easier to read. I'd suggest the NIV (New International Version), or NLT (New Living Translation) or similar. They are very accurately translated from original texts and written in today's modern English and thus much easier to read and understand for yourself. Get one, read it and God's own Holy Spirit will help you to understand it and reveal to you its meanings... The more you read and understand, the more the Holy Spirit will reveal to you. First of all ASK GOD to reveal His Word to you.

In the New Testament, the Book of Ephesians has some very specific instructions on relationships between wives and husbands. chapter 5 is especially helpful, but the Focus Verse to me is verse 25...

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

This verse is PROFOUND to husbands because essentially what it says is that you as a husband must love your wife like Jesus Christ loved the church... What that means is that he gave up EVERYTHING in life for the Church, even submitted willingly to die on a cross to save the Church... His every moment was dedicated to the Church. Similarly, if you make that kind of commitment to your wife, regardless of what she does, God will work it for His Good. If she truly believes God's word and sees you leading and living by example regardless of the past, she will come to understand that "you mean business"... It will then be up to her to submit and live up to her part of the vows you two have taken. If you didn't get married by a religious ceremony performed by an ordained minister in the Christian faith, at some point, you will want to do that to consummate your marriage vows before God and men.

Hugh, friend know that once you decide to make the commitment to God and to live for Him, old Satan will hit you with everything he's got, but do not give in and do not waver. Keep your eyes on God and He will bring you through to His Glory.

I will pray for God's will in this for you. You let me know if you want to talk or whatever I can do to help.

The outcome of such a relationship between a man and a women when it is Christ-centered is described as chapter 5 ends...

Eph 5:31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."
                        Eph 5:32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.
                        Eph 5:33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Comment

Hi Charlie, Thank you for that. Jason, her son and I had a falling out some years back. Too much to type, but I own much of the blame. I only recently reached out to him and am hopeful he reaches back. We also have a step daughter, who I have reconnected with as well. We have two children of our own now as well, Autumn is 11 and Greyson is 5. Autumn was just 2 or 3 when we were down there.

Comment

continued prayers for restoration!

Comment

Im horrible with words but I agree with so much said here. I struggle a lot with my relationship with Christ. I never just walk away from him. But I have seasons where I’m “cold” and seasons when I’m “hot”. I do try my best to talk to him daily. Even if it’s for a few minutes. I was saved @ 19 yrs old. And I struggle. You will find what your looking for. The seed has been planted in your heart. You just have to nurture it. And let it grow.

I have learned over the years. I pray and ask for so much from him. Yes I have asked and gotten every time. But most of the time it wasn’t what i asked for or thought I wanted. But he gave me what I needed. Even when it was NO.

It’s hard to turn away from the ways of the world. But the more you seek him. The more you learn about him. The less the world has a hold on you.

You can’t seek him for someone else. You have to do it for YOU and only you. Like quitting a bad habit. You do it for someone else. More than likely you will return to it. But you do it for you. To better yourself. And you will stick to it.

Time away in quiet will do you good. No distractions. Plead with God. Talk to him. Open your heart and reveal you deepest and darkest secrets. And then be still and listen. He will lead you.

I’ll be praying for you brother and your wife.

May God do his amazing work in your life. May his heart be revealed to you and he move mountains in your life. Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leave The 99

Reading this thread brought this scripture and song to mind. You are on my prayer list brother!!

The Parable of the Lost Sheep
                                15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
                                3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc6SSHuZvQE"]Reckless Love (Official Lyric Video) - Cory Asbury | Reckless Love - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X