Peanut Hay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peanut Hay

Anyone know where I can find some peanut hay , round or square bales ? I guess I should say in Texas . Thanks

Not up on all places but around Gorman, tx their should be some for sale.

Comment

Look up MJ Stewart out of Gorman/DeLeon

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
        Look up MJ Stewart out of Gorman/DeLeon

Thanks . Would that be a feed store or a individual ?

Comment

I dove hunted for 20 years on a peanut field at Deleon. Drove through there 3 years ago and didn't see a single peanut field. Our farmer said the subsidy went to the panhandle. In the early 80's they would dig the peanuts around labor day. I can tell you doves love peanuts. Later on they were under contract, and wouldn't dig til mid October, affected the dove hunting some. He said ideally he wanted to dig 3 days before the first frost. He was contracted to make so many tons, but got a different price for tonnage over contract. Early 80's also had lots of small grain crops around us, that went to pecan orchards.

Comment

I was getting some out of Dilley a few years ago, during the droughts.
            Don't have the number anymore, sorry.

Comment

Aflatoxin causes the move

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
              I dove hunted for 20 years on a peanut field at Deleon. Drove through there 3 years ago and didn't see a single peanut field. Our farmer said the subsidy went to the panhandle. In the early 80's they would dig the peanuts around labor day. I can tell you doves love peanuts. Later on they were under contract, and wouldn't dig til mid October, affected the dove hunting some. He said ideally he wanted to dig 3 days before the first frost. He was contracted to make so many tons, but got a different price for tonnage over contract. Early 80's also had lots of small grain crops around us, that went to pecan orchards.
              Good friend of mine used to run the Golden Peanut business around DeLeon/Dublin/etc back in the 80’s. They moved the business to TX/Oklahoma panhandle because of Aflatoxin levels. Farmers then had to sell their peanut allotment to folks up north for really low prices. Now most of the irrigated land has coastal on it. No idea where you find peanut hay now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                Good friend of mine used to run the Golden Peanut business around DeLeon/Dublin/etc back in the 80’s. They moved the business to TX/Oklahoma panhandle because of Aflatoxin levels. Farmers then had to sell their peanut allotment to folks up north for really low prices. Now most of the irrigated land has coastal on it. No idea where you find peanut hay now.
                Wow ! I have a friend who had a uncle that raised peanuts in Rising Star , but sadly he has passed now . I am just trying to locate some for my son . Thanks for the reply

Comment

Anybody around the Rising Star/May area should be able to hook you up. I hauled thousands of them bales when I was in high school.

Comment

Lots of peanuts being grown around Dilley and Frio County in general.

Comment

Our farmer was making a good living on about 100 acres of irrigated peanuts. You can drive through miles of pecans south of town near the lake.

Comment

What are you feeding it to

Comment

Pm turbowhunter on here. He was south of San Antone somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ldoyle View Post
                            Thanks . Would that be a feed store or a individual ?
                            They are just a family farm

Comment

Originally posted by Saddlehorse View Post
                              What are you feeding it to
                              Deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X