No announcement yet.

A lion I named El Diablo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hit the other side of the wash out and it was bad. I looked at Dan and he gassed the truck and never said a word. I look out the back winder and that dog box was laying on one of the fender wells. I said "Dan the dog box has flipped up on its side and them two pups is in there". He said "Yeah".

We we kept going till the road ended at the base of a mountain. Dan looked at me and said leave the bow in the truck and grab your rifle. The trees on this mountain are small and bushy, there would not be a bow shot.

Comment

In for the rest!

Comment

[ATTACH]899067[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Huffin and puffin !

Comment

Oh man....this is gettin' good!

Comment

The dogs had treed the lion on the other side of the mountain so we walked up 7000 ft. I was keeping up with Dan on the walk up, the sun had been shining on that side all day and there was no snow. But when we got to the top and I looked down the other side, it was nothing but snow, shale rocks and scrub trees.

Dan took off and I could not keep up with him, I was scared I might bust up myself, so I walked slow. I lost sight of Dan and could only follow his tracks. Finally I got to the bottom and Dan come up to me and said the dogs got it treed in an old snag and its a male.

We started walking toward the tree and got 100 yards or so from it and the dang thing jumped out of the tree.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

I had never seen a lion before, and only caught a glimpse of its tail. He ran right back up the mountain we just walked down. This time I seen the dogs and the lion for just a second. They went about 3/4 of the way up the mountain and treed again.

Dan said there is only two big cedar trees up there and they aint but 30 feet tall. We hiked back up the mountain and Dan told me to hang back till he gets the dogs tied up.

Comment

[ATTACH]899069[/ATTACH]

If you look at the cedar tree in the middle of the picture you can see a blob about 15 ft up. That would be El Diablo.
                    Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

don t slow down now

Comment

It is important to tie up the dogs before shooting a lion out of a tree. A wounded lion can kill several good dogs right quick.

Dan got the dogs tied up and told me to load my gun. My gun is a Marlin 30-30 saddle carbine, dad bought it new in 1959.

I could not see the lion from the outside of the tree and Dan said "you will have to crawl underneath the branches and lay on your back and shoot him".

Comment

Oh man, I'm chomping at the bit now. Type faster!

If a wounded lion would shred a dog, not sure I'd want to be under one when I shot at it LoL
                          Last edited by kae006; 03-03-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

freakin sweet

Comment

I loaded the gun and got on my knees and crawled underneath the tree. I laid flat on my back and looked up.

I could only see the lion's face and nothing else. I had to fish the gun barrel up through the limbs to get a shot. While I was doing this the lion was watching me. The dogs quit barking and everything got real still.

I made eye contact with the lion and we stared at each other for a second or two. Here I was, laying on my back, 15 ft from a lion in a stare down.

Sure did seem like the world around me blanked out. Nothing but me, the lion and this 1959 Marlin.

Comment

I seen the devil in his eyes, 150 pounds of pizzed off lion.

I did not want to shoot El Diablo in the face and I hesitated for a second. One of the dogs barked and the lion stretched his neck out to look at the dog.

I shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X