Stained concrete problems. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stained concrete problems. Options?

We are building a new home in college station in a very nice neighborhood. From the beginning we requested stained concrete floors. The day the contactors poured the slab we had problems. The builder forgot to mention to the concrete contrator that the house was to include the optional study in the back of the garage, so the study was poured at garage level. No one noticed this until I arrived on scene at 5pm. They rushed to try and get some concrete but with no luck as the plant was closing already, they poured a cap with the left over concrete around the house. The slab was still wet but they were finishing the other side already.

Fast forward to this previous week were the floor was cleaned and prepped for stain. Stain options were put down in the master were we planned to do wood floors. Color was picked and the stain was put down friday. It looked awesome, the stain contractor said he would be back sunday to seal it. Come sunday the wife and I get back from out of town around 4 and went to look at the floor again. The concrator had not sealed it yet but there were hug problems. Very large streaks and blotches, drips and drags of concrete that didnt take the stain. Spots were buckets set and boards layed during constrution. The study was a diffrent color, lighter and large parts that didnt take the stain as well. All very visiable and looks horrible. Called the stain guy immediately and he met us within 20mins. He says this is the worse he has ever seen were acid base products were spilled. Not really much he can do besides pouring an overlay which we talked about. Im not really leaning to that direction as I dont want problems down the road.

What options do you think I have? The builder is at fault for not taking the proper procedure and notifying his contractors to keep the floors clean etc.

I appologize in advance for mispelled words or grammer issues. Phone gigs
    Attached Files

My entire house is stained concrete. I love it! Although, we had tons of problems with it during the staining process, they (builder and contractor) stuck with it until it was right.

I would say your builder should take responsibility for failing to notify the concrete people. It seems like it falls under the category of ".... the concrete people put in a brick ledge where there's supposed to be siding, so we (builder) will pay for the brick install..."

Comment

Dusty, did you have similar problems? What process did they take to make sure it was fixed?

The stain guy says usually there are a few spots here and there that he can touch up and faux in as he seals. But this is litterly all over the house. You can see a drip trail with drops 2" apart from the laundry room through the wall and continues half way through the kitchen. Square spots were somthing was set. Its just aweful.

Comment

Oh my, that doesn't look good at all. We did stained concrete in our new house a couple years ago. The slab was poured and then slab masked off right away as soon as the house was dried in. Contractor said that any paint spill, chemical, dirt, foot prints etc... would show if they didn't keep the floor covered during construction. Staining was done after the interior painting and it turned out pretty good.

I don't know what your options are. I know it is difficult to go back and "fix" stain problems after the staining has taken place. Conventional flooring may be your only option. Not sure what you can do about getting the contractor to take responsibility and paying for the staining that has already been performed?

Comment

Is stain contracted out through builder or are you handling it direct? Builders will sometimes exclude protection of slab but that should have been an open discussion that you'd be very aware of at this point. I believe there are stain contractors out there that can put more into prep to get some of the imperfections out but it's going to require a lot of grinding and polish work. Not to mention you will lose lots of the character that a natural finish would have.

Comment

You may be able to polish and stain it, check out polished concrete. It could be skim coated and stained also. It is a task to keep concrete floors clean throughout construction, masking it off helps but to tell you the truth it would be better to cover entire floor with plywood, that cost some money.

Comment

Everything is going through the builder. He got me in contact with the stain guy so communication on color etc wasnt second hand.

I really dont want to polish is and loose the main charatoristics if the finished float. The spots that the stain took aell look amazing. The stain guy wiped on some zylene i believe it was to bring the sealed look out. Its was very defined were the problems are.

Comment

A few more problem areas
                Attached Files

Comment

jeez. hopefully he makes it right.

Comment

Wow, hoping for a good resolution. This definitely makes me not want stained floors. They are pretty.

Comment

Looks like you are in the market for some wood floors.. LOL.

Sorry about the turnout. Concrete staining is hit and miss. I know people who have footprints in their living room stain.

Comment

Its very frustrating. The very few good spots do look amazing. I guess I should start looking at wood floors. Just depends on how much the builder is going to cover. I would think all of it, but im not sure what to expect.

Comment

Stained concrete is like a box of chocolate, you never know what your going to get, if you want stained then have the guy skim coat or spray top it then re stain it. Probably going to be another 2-3 bucks a foot for the skim coat.

Comment

Please PM me who the contractor is for the stained concrete. My BIL does that for a living and I'll see if he can help you.

Comment

I bet a lot of those drips are pvc glue, we had issues with ours as well. Most was covered by cabinets but some not so much. The worst was where the framers marked lines with sharpie in the dining room.

Comment

Working...
                              X