Rifle Make/Model help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle Make/Model help

My dad gave me this gun. It used to be my grandpas until he passed away. My dad just had it in his safe and gave it to me for me to have. Has not been fired in 25+ years at least. My dad told me it is a 270 but can't remember the brand. Took a few pictures of the action and one logo on the gun. At first I thought it was a Ruger going off the logo but the Ruger logo is a bit different. Maybe somebody can give me some info on make and model. Thanks! Would be neat if I could get a whitetail with this rifle. Dad told me that my grandpa gave them hell with this gun and shot many animals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	25164636

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	25164637Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1301.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	25164638

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like a sporterized Mauser. I can read the #98 on the receiver.
    Maybe a K98 Mauser. The bolt handle looks like a Winchesters though it could have been changed.

Comment

Mauser action

Comment

Rebarreled Mauser 98?

Comment

Sporterized Mauser. Very popular in your grandpa’s day. You could buy the rifles cheap, re stock and barrel them and have yourself a great deer rifle. My grandpa passed down several he built to my dad and uncles as well.

Neat rifle, hope you get some good use out of it!

Comment

Mauser.

Comment

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24562853

Broke the gun down to do some much needed cleaning and found this stamped under the scope mount on the action. Looks to be a Spandau 1917 GEW98 Mauser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mauser. Looks to be sporterized. Uncle had a 8mm mauser that he had sporterized. Great shootin gun.

Comment

Looks like a J.C. Higgins model 50, which was made by Mauser.
                  If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

Mauser

Comment

Definitely a mauser 98 with a low scope safety and new bolt handle installed. Any indication if the barrel has been swapped or is it still a 7x57 or 8x57?

Comment

Never mind, i just saw where it said it is a 270. It is a military mauser action, large ring. Should cock on opening of the bolt. Short of actually trying you will never be able to hurt that thing under normal use.

Comment

If you have facebook, check out some of the guns built by pat hamilton gunsmithing in henrietta texas. He is a mauser man and probably knows more about them than the germans.

Comment

I would be dead certain that the rifle has been rebarreled to .270 Win before I fired it. Standard chambering was either 7x57 or 8x57 as silencer indicated. I know what your dad told you, but it would be good to be certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              I would be dead certain that the rifle has been rebarreled to .270 Win before I fired it. Standard chambering was either 7x57 or 8x57 as silencer indicated. I know what your dad told you, but it would be good to be certain.
                              Yea I'm gonna take it to a gun smith tomorrow and have them check it out. The screws for the front scope mount are stuck and won't budge so hopefully they can get them removed for me so I can finish cleaning. Will have them check the bore as well. It's a old custom stock that has a buck carved into the butt stock and you can tell it was glass beaded. Dad said he is 100% sure it's a 270 said they shot 130 grain core-loct shells in it. But will have a gunsmith check everything over.

Comment

Working...
                              X