No announcement yet.

Understanding MRAD and MOA turret changes-Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe change thought from bullet drop to distance.
    Change range finder from standard to metric and you’re good to go.
    There are several extrapolation charts available.
    Curious why you choose to use bullet drop as the standard?

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
      Okay I will gladly think this way if you can tell me how to get to that math that’s quick.
      As a ex-Canuck the tendancy to use 1000s, just seems natural (meter/kilometers), but I hope this helps some...

instead of doing (44/3.6)/5"hundred") = 2.4 milliradians
      NOTE: 2 division operations

The ease of use comes from using metric (or at least just 1 unit of measure). milli just means 1/1000, which is the base for metric.

44" = 1.11 m
      500yd = 457 m

You should be doing 1.11 / 457 = 0.0024 radians or 2.4 milliradians
      NOTE: 1 division operation (and a decimal shift of 1000 which you also do in moa when you ignore the 100s of yards and shift by 100)

Also if you just want to do yards.... you can still apply the 1/1000 rule if you work in yards only.

44" = 1.22 yds
      500 yds

You can do 1.22 / 500 = 2.4 miliradians

Clear as mud?
      Last edited by howabouttheiris; 11-27-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        That looks right you have to remember that each measurement scales up the further out you go so it takes less clicks or adjustments to make more movement. So one moa at 1000 is moving your bullet 10" but at 100 it is only moving it an inch. So same goes for mrad 1 mil at 100 is only 3.6" but at 1000 it is 36" of movement. Or whatever the commy measuring system is in inches.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
        Your drop charts in .1mrad makes it confusing. Can you change to while mrad? Should read 2.1, 4.4, 6.7 instead of 16.44, etc. I also like to use 100 yd zero so my values are skewed from yours.

Comment

Example. I have ranged a target to 500 yards, and let’s say that bullet drop is 44”. How many clicks up would I have to move my turrets in moa or mrad? I know that mrad is 3.6 inches per mrad.
          Using your "3.6 method"...
          44"/5 = 8.8 moa at 1/4moa clicks = 35 clicks up
          mrad 44"/3.6/5 = 2.4 mrad at .1 mrad clicks = 24 clicks up

So do I simply divide 44 by 3.6?
          No, You missed the 500yd part.

The easy math is something like...

minute 1 inch at 100 yards
          radian 1 meter at 1000 meters
          Last edited by howabouttheiris; 11-27-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

It looks like the "Drop (.1mrad)" is actually the number of clicks on the scope. I did some quick adjustments in strelok and was able to get pretty close to his numbers. So at 500 yards it is actually 1.6 mils. In order to get the actual mil value, you would shift the decimal over 1 spot. The mil chart would look something like this (rounded numbers)...

300- .4 mil
            400- 1 mil
            500- 1.6 mil
            600- 2.4 mil

Comment

What calculator is that chart from? There may be something in the settings that needs to be adjusted.

Comment

two words: dope chart

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Oh also has a general rule when dealing with MOA at least to get your drop in inches you just need to know that at 100 yards 1 moa is 1" at 200 2" at 300 3" etc. This rule works all the way out to hunting ranges just fine. So at 500 yards 5 inches is one MOA. So to get 45 inches to moa at 500 you just divide by 5 so you get 9 moa. Another way to think of it is to get moa at whatever distance divide your range by 100. That is your inches per moa at that yardage.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                  This is the best way I have explained MOA to people and they pick it up pretty fast. The best way though by far is to take your gun and ammo to the range starting at 100 and work it out to your comfortable distance and record your DOPE. The factory ammo charts are great and a good starting point but are always a little off in my experience. So many factors that could be different. barrel length/twist, elevation, temperature, humidity.. I find MOA easier to understand but that's just how I learned early on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                    It looks like the "Drop (.1mrad)" is actually the number of clicks on the scope. I did some quick adjustments in strelok and was able to get pretty close to his numbers. So at 500 yards it is actually 1.6 mils. In order to get the actual mil value, you would shift the decimal over 1 spot. The mil chart would look something like this (rounded numbers)...

300- .4 mil
                    400- 1 mil
                    500- 1.6 mil
                    600- 2.4 mil

I was using the ballistics Ae app. I can’t remember where I was told about the app, but I was told it was top notch, I have doubts about the click values. I also have iSnipe but it only shows values in MOA. Which doesn’t help. What calculator should I be using? I know how to spin the knobs, I have a rangefinder, and I know my bullet data (I use copper creek custom for my ammunition and have them chrono it), I just need to have confidence in the data, and the chart I posted doesn’t feel right to me. Shooting wise, I am confident on game out to 650, with plenty of practice out to 500, beyond that I run out of patience and time most often then not to shoot that much.

What ballistics calculator should I be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well G1 in my LR experience will not always be correct.

So before worrying about What it is you need to verify what it really is does that make sense ?/ Start with the chart . Then start backing up and make corrections as you go. Now you have a real dope chart . For that day any ways HA HA .

Most of us that shoot LR have a kestrel tucked away . As the LR shots are going to vastly impacted by environmental conditions on that given shot .

So this is the reason to check your shots at longer range . The BC FPS is all a starting point in some respect . Sure it " should" be this but its not always what you think . Hence back to checking that set up.

Which app well any one that works . Some apps will allow you to choose your reticle which can be great . I use hold over once I know most of the info .

So you have your rig ready for 800 OK but now your dealing with a 925 shot and its on the move . Do you have time to play the game of running the turret?/ some times yes some times no bench stuff sure but in the field that may not be an option . So Hold over can work very well if you have the wind you have more info and know that you are up and to the left X amount this is hunting not shooting groups.

Accuracy is needed but we have some room to work with

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Comment

The one taped to your stock that was developed with and for your rifle, ammunition, and conditions combination.

Calculator-wise it is all straightforward math for the yardages you are talking about. BulletDrop is simple and works fine.

Comment

I was using the ballistics Ae app. I can’t remember where I was told about the app, but I was told it was top notch, I have doubts about the click values. I also have iSnipe but it only shows values in MOA. Which doesn’t help. What calculator should I be using? I know how to spin the knobs, I have a rangefinder, and I know my bullet data (I use copper creek custom for my ammunition and have them chrono it), I just need to have confidence in the data, and the chart I posted doesn’t feel right to me. Shooting wise, I am confident on game out to 650, with plenty of practice out to 500, beyond that I run out of patience and time most often then not to shoot that much.

Isnipe will put out in Mils, need to go to settings. Also, when you hit compute and it brings up the chart, if you touch the yardage you are shooting at it will show you the hold based on reticle. If you hit the button I circled in the lower left corner, it will change from Moa to mils.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I use ballistics AE and it works well for me. Your numbers look pretty good, I prefer to have my drop in mrad not clicks (.1mrad).

If the data you input is correct (velocity, BC, etc) it will be really close. You just need to go to the range and shoot to verify.

Comment

Okay, I think I have this figured out now, and I believe I was reading my calculator wrong. Clear now, continue the conversation though if y’all wish, I’m enjoying the knowledge! Much to benefit here.

Comment

Okay; so I will tell you I’m not a super long range target shooter. I’ve hunted animals, and killed out to 700 yards, lots in the 500’s and some in the 600’s, but I’ve always been a Kentucky windage guy. I’m trying to change that. I’ve read just about everything I can, and my brain hurts. I know how to range with my scopes whether it be vortex, nightforce, leupold, trijicon (both 1/4 moa and mrad 1/10).

My biggest question which hardly no one addresses. How the heck do I take a drop and spin the turrets????

Example. I have ranged a target to 500 yards, and let’s say that bullet drop is 44”. How many clicks up would I have to move my turrets in moa or mrad? I know that mrad is 3.6 inches per mrad. So do I simply divide 44 by 3.6? What about MOA.

Please help! Keep this simple please!

Your clicks are worth .25" (moa) at a hundred and .36 (mrad) at a hundred yards so you multiple them by 2 for 200yds or 3 for 300 yds or 6.5 for 650 yds etc.....
                                So at 500 yds your clicks are worth 1.25" (MOA) and 1.8" (MRAD) at so 44/1.25 is 35 clicks or 8.75 moa and 44/1.8 is 24 clicks or 2.4 mils. Your main parameter when shooting longer distances is going to wind. The easiest way I have found to get stuff accurate is a phone app I use StrelokPro.

Comment

Working...
                                X