Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controversial Mtn. Lion Thread Opinions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controversial Mtn. Lion Thread Opinions??

An adult Mtn. Lion will often kill a deer a week according to the Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks Dept.

The "conservationists"/"animal rights" crowd would have us believe that they only kill the weak, sick or old animals that are already on death's door.

I've never heard of a mountain lion paying for a hunting license, contributing to the QDMA, or planting a food plot or doing anyhing to further the existence or the deer population.

The Auto Insurance Companies and the "environmentalists" want Mtn. lions to replace hunters in deer management.....and are working to achieve it.......this fires me up!

Are you for or against the push for more Mtn. Lions?

THIS paper will make you mad.

Here are a few pics. I know some may have been posted before.

WARNING......foul language.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckAssassin; 08-12-2009, 10:54 AM.

I have hunted them, (lions) and can tell you there are more out there than you realize...they are opportunist on killing, yes they will take an injured or old animal but they will also take a fawn or mature in the prime deer which ever the opportunity presents itself...

Comment

Cats need to be managed too. I'll help!

Comment

I'm thrilled that they seem to have made a comeback. Of course, trail cams and internet have also helped better document their numbers so its still hard to say what the trends are compared to say, 40 years ago.

When I was a kid they were like bigfoot.

They definitely deserve a place in the food chain. No question.

Comment

I'm glad to see them making a comeback. They are an important part of nature.

Todd

Comment

i just skimmed through but i dont know about replacing hunters with solely cougars. i think that they have their place in this world just like us. with that said, the tree huggers wont want the numbers to rise when their chapoodle is being eaten and their kids are not safe in the backyard

Comment

Can't happen. Mountain lions have huge territories and defend them from other cats (something like 30-50 square miles each if memory serves). One cat in an area that size will not "control" the deer population.

I'm also glad they're making a comeback.

Comment

It's not a comeback. They've been here all along.

Comment

We've been hunting the same ground for 25 years now, and mountain lions were there when we got there, and we've always had the opportunity to take them if we see them, but no one has gotten one yet. The gubment trapper trapped 4 in one year a few years back, but we still see just as many. We have one guy that got a 20 minute video of one stalking/hunting one of his feeders with the intention of shooting it after videoing it a bit. He wanted to try to get it catching a deer first, then shoot it. Another deer came up from down wind and spooked the others. The cat then moved over and went right to my buddy's bow feeder/stand, so he decided not to shoot it with a rifle and try to get him with his bow... he never saw him again that year, but the cat did bury a gut pile from a deer he had shot one evening. the next morning the gut pile had been partially eaten and burried just like a regular house cat would bury something except the spot was bigger... Late last year he saw him again, but did not get a shot.

Now they tell us bears are moving into the area!!! but the good news is we do not have feral hogs ..... YET!!

Comment

wish they got there 20 sec earlier.

Comment

Ok so what happens when they start taking out kids and such bc we all know that a human is a lot easier target than any other animal out there especially kids.

Comment

I admit I skimmed through this pretty quickly, but where does "the auto insurance companies" want them to replace hunters come from? I didn't see that?

Trailboss

Comment

Love that they are out there and so perfectly adapted to their purpose...
                          Did have one stalk my daughter and me while duck hunting last year which was a little spooky, but I had a shotgun, so probably no need to worry.
                          Funny when the woman wants to "rescue it"... it wouldn't matter if we allowed Cougars to control the deer, people like this would still try to turn all the cougars vegan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post
                            Ok so what happens when they start taking out kids and such bc we all know that a human is a lot easier target than any other animal out there especially kids.
                            the internet is far more dangerous to my kids than any mountain lion (youtube alone!)

and that's just the top of the list

drivers who are texting or drinking are up there as well

...heck lightnig is statistically more dangerous to kids than mountain lions

The original poster has a point. His point (if I interpret correctly) is he does not want to try and manage a quality deer herd with lions out there eating his managed deer efforts. Problem is, like it or not, predators fit in the system. If you remeove predators and just manage the deer you cause more problems than you solve. The balance of nature is a delicate thing. The opposite of diversity of species (good) is monoculture (bad).

Comment

What a cougar may look like...

Comment

Working...
                              X