Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redneck_Romeo View Post
    any of yall goin be out there this weekened
    I'm considering making a run out there if time and weather cooperate. Between the kids UIL and baseball competitions plus the MIL in town, it'll be tight. That and coming up with working chigger and mosquito protection. Plus, have to motivate myself out of bed.

Comment

Chiggers and Skeeters

Get Permetherin and spray it on you hunting clothes. ****'s had it last year. That stuff works! And it lasts through several washings. I was out last weekend and though I walked through tall grasses, crawled through thickets, ZERO ticks/chiggers.

The bottom land was pretty dry so the skeeters weren't bad, even around the lake, cause I camped there. However, if the rain that went through puddled up the bottom land, I suspect the skeeters have multiplied. Thermocell is your friend! I used one around the camp for the minimal skeeters that wanted to visit me....works great...

Comment

flogORfish, I found a permethrin recipe on a Pennsylvania hunting forum today. They were all about it for ticks, but from what I've read it'll work for chiggers and to a degree on mosquitoes at least where the treated clothes cover. Apparently the military uses a similar concoction for clothes and tents/bedding.

I'm making a trip to home depot tonight after permethrin and get clothes treated.

I went to LBJ opening weekend and got eaten!

Comment

toddblue69...I bought the commercial stuff and would completely agree with your research...keeps crawlies off and 'some' deterrent for the needles with wings...

It's good stuff. If I recall, I paid about $14 for a bottle at ****'s and it treated 3 sets of hunting clothes.

Comment

The information I found matches the commercial and the military ratios. I bought Ortho Total Kill (insect, not herbicide) which is a 2.5% concentrate. Dilute it with water in a spray bottle at 5:1 and that gets the concentration down to .5%, which is what the commercial stuff and various government web sites show as effective.

I paid less than $9 for a bottle of concentrate and based on what I used tonight, it'll last me for a long time. But I figure my son can use it for his boy scout camp-outs as well.

The commercial stuff supposedly has some bonding agents that helps get it through more washes. If it works, I have no problem preparing a few days ahead to not itch for many days to follow. The other forum site specifically point to this product indicating the other ingredients are "safe". http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...832205&fpart=1

So far, all indicators, including your testimony, are that the commercial and home brewed mixes are effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
              Dang Pat. You sure ask tough questions.

Policed by Forest Service Law Enforcement and TP&W Game Wardens.

Boundaries are marked and they have fire lines aound the property. Corners are marked with red bands around three trees and a monument.

Wildlife survey and check in forms will be made available at bulletin boards and will be mandatory.

Shotgun hunting for small game will still be allowed. No shot larger than #4.

All you need to hunt there is a state hunting license.
              Originally posted by ak47-03 View Post
              Froggy, are you saying that you DO NOT have to buy the type 2 permit to hunt Fannin this year?
              The Fannin Unit is not part of the WMA and has never required the APH permit.

All you need is a state hunting license. No check in is required this year.
              Originally posted by XTBrian View Post
              OK to hunt this unit,do you need the Annual Permit or just your regular hunting license???..Thanks..Brian
              Originally posted by flogORfish View Post
              There is a sign on the entrance park road that confirms you do NOT need the TYPE II permit for the Fannin Unit. Plus I called and asked. You don't need it for Fannin.
              Originally posted by flogORfish View Post
              RR, I called the office in Decatur. (940) 627-5475. Also spoke to the biologist but he didn't give me anything to get excited about. Said they don't do dear harvest during archery season for Caddo or LBJ grasslands because it is statistically insignificant.

Sorry it took a couple of days to reply..been a bit busy..
              I called Parks & wildlife yesterday about the AHP. The gentleman I talked to called it up on his PC while we talked. He said a AHP IS required. When you open the map for the Bois 'd Arc unit, Lake Fannin is on there and highlighted like the rest of the unit. He said Lake Fannin IS part of the Bois 'd Arc unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                I called Parks & wildlife yesterday about the AHP. The gentleman I talked to called it up on his PC while we talked. He said a AHP IS required. When you open the map for the Bois 'd Arc unit, Lake Fannin is on there and highlighted like the rest of the unit. He said Lake Fannin IS part of the Bois 'd Arc unit.
                Your contact at TP&W was wrong. Here's a link. Scroll down to Caddo/LBJ and click on the link Lake Fannin Units 35-39. This is the Supervisors Order designating Lake Fannin as an archery only unit. I guarantee it is not part of the WMA's.

Comment

Your contact at TP&W was wrong. Here's a link. Scroll down to Caddo/LBJ and click on the link Lake Fannin Units 35-39. This is the Supervisors Order designating Lake Fannin as an archery only unit. I guarantee it is not part of the WMA's.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/law_en...rs_index.shtml
                  yes it is archery only we know that but in that link it has nothing saying that you dont have to have to the AHP it also says that you must comply with all laws,rules regulations prescribed by the TEXAS PARKS & WILDLIFE SERVICE and TEXAS LAWS and thats on page 2 and number 4 and the TEXAS PARKS & WILDLFE says that you have to have

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck_Romeo View Post
                    yes it is archery only we know that but in that link it has nothing saying that you dont have to have to the AHP it also says that you must comply with all laws,rules regulations prescribed by the TEXAS PARKS & WILDLIFE SERVICE and TEXAS LAWS and thats on page 2 and number 4 and the TEXAS PARKS & WILDLFE says that you have to have
                    You got that right. Page 2 #4 says you have to comply with all rules and regulations according to Parks & Wildlife. It says you have to have all required licenses and permits. P&W says you have to have a AHP. I will go with them to be safe.

Comment

Good luck giving me a ticket when there is a sign at the entrance that says you don't need the Type II. I'll be taking a picture of it and posting on this website soon.

Bois d' arc unit - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...s/boisdarc.pdf
                      Ladonia Unit - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...0112a_901s.pdf

Both of these are from the TPWD website and neither of them have Fannin on it.

Comment

I called the local game warden to make sure. No type II required! Anyone have any luck out their?

Comment

Only been once. I saw the back side of one deer and lots of hog sign.

Comment

I apologize for arguing with ya'll. I'm just getting conflicting answers on this. It won't be the first time I was wrong.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a healthy discussion
                              Thanks allenshawn1 for calling the local game warden and verifying with a local authority.

Comment

Hey Yall,

Im new to the site and wanted to introduce myself first. My name is Paul and I just moved to dallas for school. From what I can tell there is a bunch of great people on this site. I have a question for yall, ive been doing some research on lake fannin and was wondering if you can shoot does up there. I know you can in the Bois D'arc unit but havent found anything concerning whether you can at fannin or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X