• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hash browns

Any good crispy hash brown recipes!

Waffle House smothered and covered

Sorry that’s all I got.

Comment

I've got a sweet potato one one here that would work with Russell or any other search it.

Comment

butter and a hot skillet...
        OH left over baked potatoes make really good hashbrowns. grate them down best you can fry up in some butter.

Comment

Put some paper towels on a dinner plate.
          Heat a cast big cast iron skillet, put some bacon grease in it, until it melts and gets hot.
          Grate the potatoes on to the plate. Cover with more paper towels and put a heavy pot on top to squash it down to dry up as much liquid as possible. Change the paper towels out a time or two to get rid of all the liquid.
          Microwave the plate of potatoes for a minute or two until the whole pile is steaming.
          Crank up the heat on the skillet to make the grease start to smoke.
          Dump the potatoes into the hot cast iron skillet. Mash it down a little, salt it a bunch, then don't touch it for a while.
          Check the browning on the bottom after a few minutes.
          When it has a good brown crust on it, use two spatulas and flip it.
          Add more grease if it looks too dry.
          When the edges are super crispy but not burned and the center is pure white and fluffy dry, not gray, wet, and soggy, the hash browns are done. Eat then immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehunter View Post
            OH left over baked potatoes make really good hashbrowns. grate them down best you can fry up in some butter.
            And plenty of Paprika........

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
              Heat a cast big cast iron skillet, put some bacon grease in it, until it melts and gets hot.
              Grate the potatoes on to the plate. Cover with more paper towels and put a heavy pot on top to squash it down to dry up as much liquid as possible. Change the paper towels out a time or two to get rid of all the liquid.
              Microwave the plate of potatoes for a minute or two until the whole pile is steaming.
              Dump the potatoes into the hot cast iron skillet. Mash it down a little, salt it a bunch, then don't touch it for a while.
              When the edges are super crispy but not burned and the center is pure white and fluffy dry, not gray, wet, and soggy, the hash browns are done. Eat then immediately.
              That sounds nearly as good as your Bronco looks !

Comment

Originally posted by whitehunter View Post
                X2 on the baked potatoes, cut them in small pieces and cook as stated above.

Comment

Trick to crispy hash browns..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttK2YP_ayYI

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                    Waffle House smothered and covered

Sorry that’s all I got.
                    x2

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
                      That’s how we do it

Comment

I tried the Kent Rollins method today. I made them too thick in a small skillet. I did buy the clarified butter so I didn't have to separate it like his video. ill try again mañana

Comment

Here’s a great alternative to messing with paper towels:

Click image for larger version

Name:	E18C6FF7-22BA-4AF8-875D-6F19652F74D9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	24529798

Comment

Tried again this weekend. Better but still not perfect. I have been using the Kent Rollins method

Comment

I have by no means perfected grated hash browns but I've got them now to where I only need some minor adjustments. I will have to try the baked potato.

I grate my potatoes on to a plate. Take out a handful and rinse the grated potatoes in cold water and then squeeze all the water out. Repeat until all the potatoes have been processed. Then butter and bacon grease in a hot skillet. Add the hashbrowns, salt, peper, etc. and with a spatula mash them down flat. Cook until the desired level of crisp; flip and repeat. I rarely flip once. I usually flip to soon and have to flip 2 or 3 times to get them where I like them.

Comment

Working...
                              X