No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to drag my roommates out fishing this weekend. I would go by myself, but my roommate thinks he has access to his bosses private pond, hopefully I can contribute and quit being jealous

Comment

Fish now before classes start. With scouts and the season approaching i need to get in as much as i can. Tonight was odd... did not catch a fish at the Y. Although i was trying different flies.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Fish now before classes start. With scouts and the season approaching i need to get in as much as i can. Tonight was odd... did not catch a fish at the Y. Although i was trying different flies.
        Buddy checked and we're good to fish his bosses pond. It's nice because his boss keeps the fish fed regularly and well stocked, so it should be a target rich environment.
        The town is already starting to fill up though, I've never been here while school is in session. Way different place!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Take some pics and post em up!

Comment

Got on the board this evening. Caught this sunfish of some sort on one of the streamers I tied for rainbows way back. Just a good tuft of red and pink mirabou. I also managed to catch one more with the trad gear, but switched to other stuff as the pond with 3 people fishing wasnt extremely conducive to fly fishing. It was loaded with fish and one water snake. Missed a big bass on a top water bait. Had an awesome day fishing all around

And please ignore the fact I almost look like I'm flipping you off, it's not intentional

Comment

Good job Seacoal,

I spent two hours dragging wollybugers and white streamers through the Trinty River tonight with out a hit. Sandy caught about 15 small catfish on nightcrawlers. I stuck with the flies, but no luck.

Comment

Nice catch Seacoal!

For those catfish, I am thinking we need to try those sink tip lines. Just got to get down to them.

of course somebody mentioned a pole and line is more trad than fly gear....

Comment

Probably the last time I will fish the pond at the Y for a while as the schedule changes in the fall and it is getting dark soon. That being said... I went out with a bang! I fished a new clouser I tied that had a traditional white belly and olive top. I used craft fur for the white and buck tail for the olive. Boy did the bass love it. I hooked up with 4 bass. 2 got hung up in the weeds. One jumped off, the other took my clouser as i tried to pull in the mess of weeds. Unfortunately that was my only one in that and they didn't seem to like the non white bellied one as much.

Comment

One of these measured 15 inches. One of the biggest bass I landed this summer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408501819696.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24323087

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408501832693.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	24323088

Comment

Had to tie a few more. I thought i had tied 2 originally, but then remembered i had given one to a friend as part of a set of flies to get him started.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408501950185.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	24323089

Comment

Those flies look good.

I think you are right about the catfish, as soon as I can I am going to get another line so that I can fish a little deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Had to tie a few more. I thought i had tied 2 originally, but then remembered i had given one to a friend as part of a set of flies to get him started.

[ATTACH]644254[/ATTACH]
                            These flies are what you need for.red fish and spec trout, anything in the bay. Tie.full red brown chartreuse, chartreuse and white.with different.sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
                              These flies are what you need for.red fish and spec trout, anything in the bay. Tie.full red brown chartreuse, chartreuse and white.with different.sizes.
                              That's good to know. I've seen some mighty big clousers at the fly shops around here in the redfish/saltwater bins. If I ever go salt water fishing, I'll be sure to get some of the 0/ sized hooks and tie some.

These were tied on #10 round hooks since I am fishing with a 5wt setup. With the smaller hooks, they are actually not as easy to tie because there isn't alot of shank to work with. Less is more is the key on the amount of hair to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                                Those flies look good.

I think you are right about the catfish, as soon as I can I am going to get another line so that I can fish a little deeper.
                                What's funny is those flies ride hookside up, so they are upside down in the picture... however, they look cooler that way.

I was using my Orvis coupon the other day to pickup some more fly boxes. I almost pulled the trigger on a sinking leader. The only problem is that I'd have to create loop-loop connections to do that (I currently just nail knot the leader directly to the line) and decided for now, just didn't want to mess with it. If you already have loop-loop connections for your line->leader, you should look at getting just a looped sinking leader. They are 10 ft long and you add tippet to the end of it. It apparently has the advantage of being able to recast quickly because you whole line doesn't sink down, just the end.

I'm thinking I am going to keep my 5wt the way it is, for river/streams and ponds and maybe picking up another inexpensive setup in the 7wt range for larger bodies of water and then playing with the sinking line/sinking tip, loop-loop on that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X