Latest & Greatest hunt with Limcroma Safaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest & Greatest hunt with Limcroma Safaris

My wife and I just returned from yet another incredible African adventure with Limcroma Safaris. This was our 5th safari with Limcroma to date. What an amazing experience! It was everything I hoped it would be and more!

The main focus of this safari was going to be a Cape buffalo hunted spot & stalk with a bow. No hides, no tree stands, no water holes, and no food sources... Open ground, cutting tracks and stalking in... Not that I am against any of the aforementioned methods, but that is not how I wanted to attempt my buffalo hunt. I entered this hunt completely aware that my chances of success would be small, but for me, trying to take one any other way would not have been the same challenge or reward.

On the morning of Day 7, I finally got my shot! By that evening, my Cape buffalo was in the salt. I cannot begin to express the range of emotion I felt at this point..... Elation, relief, accomplishment, mental exhaustion..... Never before have I experienced such an emotional roller coaster of highs and lows on the same hunt. Needless to say, I have a new and very profound respect for Cape buffalo. It was truly a team effort, and I cannot say enough about the skill and professionalism of the team that made this hunt possible. Hannes Els, and his staff are collectively the most impressive individuals that I have ever hunted with. There are very few African outfitters that have the qualifications, experience, and skill to pursue dangerous game with a bow. Hannes Els is one of them.... This buffalo was my first, and likely my last of the Big 5. It was an incredible experience in so many ways, and a memory that we will all share for the rest of our lives. My heartfelt thanks to everyone on the team that made this possible for me.

After the buffalo hunt, my wife and I also had the opportunity to take a couple of great trophies as well as a few management & cull animals with our bows. The highlight of her hunt was a huge old female giraffe that she took spot & stalk. She made a perfect frontal shot at 30 yards.

After our hunt with Limcroma, we headed up to the Caprivi strip located in northern Namibia on the Zambezi river. We had a blast fly fishing for tiger fish for 4 days.
    Attached Files

That looks like a hellava time. Congrats on the animals

Comment

Congrats to you and your wife on another great trip! Beautiful Cape Buffalo as well!!

Comment

Congrats! Looks like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats. I can echo what he said about Limcroma. Going back for my 3rd time next month. Won't be any dangerous game for me but hopefully a lot of critters will die . Congrats again on some cool animals. I'm hoping to be able to chase a few night critters as well. Oh, and he is spot on about the food Marcel can cook up a storm.

Comment

Impressed!!! and jealous.........

Comment

Here are a few photos of the lodge and some of the typical sights you can expect to see at Limcroma. The lodges are really nice! Everything is first-class...
              Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the buffalo. It is not easy with a rifle, I could only imagine what it would be like with a bow.

Comment

Beautiful!

How did you get the giraffe to sit so still for the pic?
                  haha

That beetle looking creature is trying to take you back to its layer and feed you to its youngins

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Cape with a bow is a rush for sure! We are going back to the RSA August.

Couple of questions: What was your set up for the buff? Arrow weight, draw weight, distance of the shot....ect.

And the same for your wife set up on the Giraffe.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug's_Optics View Post
                        Beautiful!

How did you get the giraffe to sit so still for the pic?
                        haha

That beetle looking creature is trying to take you back to its layer and feed you to its youngins
                        LOL...! I thought Texas had the market cornered on big bugs and thorns until I went to Africa! Every single plant and I do mean every one has thorns on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                          Cape with a bow is a rush for sure! We are going back to the RSA August.

Couple of questions: What was your set up for the buff? Arrow weight, draw weight, distance of the shot....ect.

And the same for your wife set up on the Giraffe.
                          For this trip, I brought my old, beat up Diamond Black Ice. I had it cranked to 72lbs. and I have a 29" draw length. Although a dinosaur by today's standards, it is still the smoothest, most accurate bow I have ever owned. I also didn't mind dragging it through the dirt and brush.

My Cape buffalo arrow was a Grizzlystik Momentum Black 175 cut to 30" with 2" Blazer vanes and a Nocturnal nock. The arrows were custom built by Grizzlystik to have a 26% foc, and weighed a total of 975 grains with the Bishop Archery 315 grain 2-blade right single bevel, forged steel broadheads.

My shot distance on the buffalo was 17 yards. I made a follow-up insurance shot at 40. Even at 40 yards, the arrow buried 24" nearly to the fletchings. The arrow broke the ribs on the entrance and lodged in the rib cage on the opposite side.

Lisa brought her Mathews DXT at 52lbs. and 27.5" of draw. She also shoots Grizzlystik shafts custom built to 25% foc, at 650 grains of total arrow weight with a Helix 200 grain, 2-blade, right single bevel, broadheads. She got 20" of penetration on a frontal shot on her giraffe with that set-up. All of her other animals were pass-thrus.

I am a real believer in these high foc, heavy arrows and 2-blade single bevel broadheads for maximum penetration on all African game, not just the buffalo. The combinations performed extremely well for us. I have been recommending higher foc, and heavier overall arrows to African bow hunting clients for a while now. I have been impressed with the field results that I have seen first-hand from not only our set-ups but from other clients as well... I am also much more confident with the end result of that "less than perfect" shot which we will all make at some point.

Comment

I would luv to do that one day. Congrats

Comment

OMG those are some incredible pictures. Congrats on the trophies and thanks for sharing. I never would have thought of doing a safari with a bow. Did you have to convince them to let you bow hunt or do they welcome the sport of bowhunting there. I am soooo jealous!

Comment

Working...
                              X