No announcement yet.

Rice bran questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its pretty much all i feed. I dump the enitre sack in a pile. Some people like to make several sall piles but in doing that if it rains the moisture gets all the way to the bottome of the pile and it molds. By making a big pile usually just the top layer gets hard and the deer bust through it for the rest. When i first starting feeding it here about 11 years ago it was $3 for a 50 lb sack. Now is pay $11 per sack. I could get it for about $150 for a super sack which is a ton but i dont have anywhere really dry to keep it plus it tends to draw alot of mice and weavels do didnt want too hold that close to my camp. The deer love it though.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's also made in a pellet.

Comment

Most of the super new attractants are rice bran based. Buck grub, b squared, and the ones you buy at bass pro, academy or cabelas are rice bran based with scents and cracked corn or soybeans added for additional protein. I would bet buck candy is super apple scented rice bran too.

I do not think it would be a good supplemental feeding product, especially to replace protein pellets since it cannot be thrown well without mixing it with something, and free choice feeders won't work with it. But it does work in areas as a quick attractant when dumped out in a pile on the ground.

Comment

chance, texas wildlife supply(i think that is the name) used to sell it for $20 for 50lbs
          the place in brady thats makes the blinds and feeders....
          i thought about feeding it but i was worried about moisture....
          they said it is intended to be in a trough. mainly as an attractant but will proved minimal protien....it is better than nothing and it is cheap, or at least it used to be. i hope that helps you....the owner is who i spoke with at the store, not that goofy guy workin there now that used to work at ace....he is nice just a funny guy lol
          the owner was very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            chance, texas wildlife supply(i think that is the name) used to sell it for $20 for 50lbs
            the place in brady thats makes the blinds and feeders....
            i thought about feeding it but i was worried about moisture....
            they said it is intended to be in a trough. mainly as an attractant but will proved minimal protien....it is better than nothing and it is cheap, or at least it used to be. i hope that helps you....the owner is who i spoke with at the store, not that goofy guy workin there now that used to work at ace....he is nice just a funny guy lol
            the owner was very helpful
            I wouldnt say the protein is minimal. It averages 12-16% protein. That is on par with some protein pellets and alot better than corn. IT is also a very good source for fat which deer can use in the dead of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
              our callahan co. deer walked right past the bran and went to the corn. even the pigs walked past it. they both tested it, but didnt care for it. once the cows found it though....they cleaned it up and fought over the right to lick the dirt where i poured it.
              This is the experience of my friends at Freer, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                I wouldnt say the protein is minimal. It averages 12-16% protein. That is on par with some protein pellets and alot better than corn. IT is also a very good source for fat which deer can use in the dead of winter.
                Just what I remember hearing and did not feel the need to gather any more info on it. This stuff seems to be like cotton seed then. I wonder why not many people use it?

Comment

The cheap rice bran is not stabalized and has a shorter shelf life. We have used it with some success. IMO they take to the stabalized a heck of a lot better than the non-stabalized.

We bought some out at Red Chain feeds and they demolished it. The next batch we bought over at the Canton Feed Mill and they wouldnt touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Just what I remember hearing and did not feel the need to gather any more info on it. This stuff seems to be like cotton seed then. I wonder why not many people use it?
                    They use it a ton here in Louisiana. I think areas close to rice mills such as South east Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas use it the most as it is more readily available and more affordable. Just 10 years ago they couldnt give the stuff away now that it has gained popularity it is expensive. every powder supplement you see at the store is probably 90% ricebran with a few flavors added to it and they sell it for $10-$15 for a 8 lb bag. It was great when it was $3 a bag but now that it is $10-12 for it in my area i may consider soy beans if they go down in price any considering they average 35% protein. That is more than any supplement i know of on the market. I have tried cotton seed on my leae and they wont touch it but it also took me an entire season to get them used to eating rice bran and now 50 lbs. last 2 night maybe in the winter time.

Comment

It is the main ingredient in products like Cmere Deer. Due to the high fat content you want to get stabilized rice bran or it will get rancid if stored very long. Add some coolaide and deer usually fight over it. I can't find a cheap source up here though......

Comment

I bought 3 50lb bags in Belton this past season. I poured it out in piles in Waskom in NE TX. NOTHING ever touched it. The remnants of the mildewing piles are still lying there. Some people advised that it was great but I had no luck with it. I'm almost a firm believer that CORN is the best thing that deer in my area will go to. I have even tried salt blocks, livestock blocks and wildlife blocks and NOTHING touches them. But, I hunt a small tract of land (40 acres) with HEAVY HEAVY hunting pressure all around me. I am surrounded on all sides by leased paper company land and a ranch that is heavily hunted. I AM LUCKY TO EVEN SEE DEER EACH SEASON.

Comment

Tractor supply sells it in my area,,,,,they have regular, apple,peanut butter,persimmon, and roasted soybean flavored rice bran,,,

Comment

Originally posted by rage-n-cajun View Post
                            Tractor supply sells it in my area,,,,,they have regular, apple,peanut butter,persimmon, and roasted soybean flavored rice bran,,,
                            What name is it packaged under and how much are ya paying. So I can get some into my TSC

Comment

Matthew and Doug used to feed some of it when I first started getting it there in Brady Chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X