Anyone have a 308 subsonic load data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a 308 subsonic load data

Just seeing if anyone has any info on 308 subsonic. I ordered myself some thermal today and just getting ready

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
    Just seeing if anyone has any info on 308 subsonic. I ordered myself some thermal today and just getting ready
    What twist do you have? 1-10 is a minimum.

I shoot 168gr bergers over 9.7gr of Trailboss. This load is in a 20" bbl. You will need to play with it to get the optimum velocity for your setup.

Mine shoots 1 hole at 50 ( you can watch the hole open up in the target after you shoot it) and sub moa at 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
      What twist do you have? 1-10 is a minimum.

I shoot 168gr bergers over 9.7gr of Trailboss. This load is in a 20" bbl. You will need to play with it to get the optimum velocity for your setup.

Mine shoots 1 hole at 50 ( you can watch the hole open up in the target after you shoot it) and sub moa at 100.
      Do you have any issues with it being unstable with so much open case? I’m tuned in for info on this.

Comment

I have very good luck in a 16.5" 10 twist rock creek barreled 308. My load is 10.1 grains of trailboss in Lapua brass. 175 matchkings sitting .010 off lands with .002 neck tension and federal primers. The 10.1 of trailboss fills the case quite a bit and I hold nice groups out to 100 yards. I shoot a lot of deer on the golf course here (head shots) so all of my shots are 50 yards roughly. This load gives me 1/2"-3/4" 3 shot groups at 50-60 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Do you have any issues with it being unstable with so much open case? I’m tuned in for info on this.
          Bullets are 100% stable and the trailboss gives good case fill.

Key things to remember.

1. You need bullet jump to make sure bullets do not stick.
          2. Start Supersonic and work slowly backward until you hit velocity,
          3. Use a chronograph
          4. Use a chronograph
          5. Use a chronograph

Some talk about lubing the bullets. I never did that.

Comment

I was using Trail Boss and it's kinda fluffy so there isn't much open case in there. Mine liked 10.5 grains of Trail Boss for a 220gr bullet. Speeds were around 1020 ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              Bullets are 100% stable and the trailboss gives good case fill.

Key things to remember.

1. You need bullet jump to make sure bullets do not stick.
              2. Start Supersonic and work slowly backward until you hit velocity,
              3. Use a chronograph
              4. Use a chronograph
              5. Use a chronograph

Some talk about lubing the bullets. I never did that.
              10-4!! And I can’t imagine having a bullet get stuck haha.

Comment

10-4!! And I can’t imagine having a bullet get stuck haha.
                I saw a guy on a video that had to hammer a bullet out with a cleaning rod.

I imagine that is not good for a barrel.

Comment

Are the 168 Bergers effective at low velocity?
                  I’m anxious to see some loads for the new Hornady subsonic expander.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                    Are the 168 Bergers effective at low velocity?
                    I’m anxious to see some loads for the new Hornady subsonic expander.
                    The new hornady bullets are vaporware at this time.

Subsonic bullets IMHO are headshot only as they have the KE of a 9mm pistol (168gr) or a .45 ACP (220gr).

They work awesome for head shooting does and pigs at 50yds. All DRT!!!!!!

Comment

Since he mentioned Thermal I’m assuming the OP is planning to hunt pigs with them.

1) head shots at close range only if using subsonic and you actually want to recover the pig.

Or

2) since they’re going to scatter either way just run a suppressor to be less punishing on the ears and kill the flash and a decent hunting round. Better and longer performance.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        Since he mentioned Thermal I’m assuming the OP is planning to hunt pigs with them.

1) head shots at close range only if using subsonic and you actually want to recover the pig.

Or

2) since they’re going to scatter either way just run a suppressor to be less punishing on the ears and kill the flash and a decent hunting round. Better and longer performance.

Just my two cents.
                        They also scatter with a suppressor even with subsonics.

But they run away from the hit animal. I prefer supersonics, I hit the last pig and they tend to run toward me, even in the daytime.

Comment

I have thought about loading sub sonic rounds for my .308

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                            I have thought about loading sub sonic rounds for my .308
                            Unless it is a 1-10 or faster I would not worry with it.

It is fun for giggles but I have stuck to supersonic.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info

Comment

Working...
                              X