No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot deer with a .223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've shot many deer w a .22-.250 over the years. No problem.

Comment

I shot my first deer with a .223. 100 yards in the lung and she went down at 30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        Hand loads with 55 grain Barnes TSX bullets will blow through both shoulders on a broadside shot. My kids killed several South Texas bruisers with it when they were younger. Even with the exit wound there was never a great blood trail but I doubt any of the ones they killed ever made it over 50 yards and most fell within sight. Also, we never lost one that they pulled the trigger on.
        Does the trick every time.

Comment

Try this and let me know how it works...

Comment

Kids and I have put around 100 deer in the freezer over the last 15 years or so. Not a single loss. A .223 Savage with 55 gr V-max. My barrel doesn't have enough twist for heavier bullet. Plenty of shoulder shots even out to 300 yds. We always shy away from quartering toward shots. Just put it where it counts.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
              I am not a reloader so I would be going with the heaviest bullet I can find like a Winchester 69-grain JSP or Hornady 60-grain V Max

There are numerous factory loads that will work well for the 223 on deer, Federal loads the 60gr partition, Remington the 64gr Nosler Bonded in their hog loads, Winchester 64gr power point is another good one. Just about all I have shot with the partition have had an exit with the critters will to survive going right out with it.

The light recoil makes it a pleasure to shoot accurately as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                Kids and I have put around 100 deer in the freezer over the last 15 years or so. Not a single loss. A .223 Savage with 55 gr V-max. My barrel doesn't have enough twist for heavier bullet. Plenty of shoulder shots even out to 300 yds. We always shy away from quartering toward shots. Just put it where it counts.
                I think you may be surprised at how well that rifle handles a heavier 62 gr bullet. My son has an Axis in .223 and it shoots fusion 62gr pretty well. 4 shot groups about an 1", and I believe it would be tighter if it weren't for the messy trigger on that gun

Comment

My daughter has taken deer, pigs, and some exotics with her 223 up to 150 yds, took both lungs stopped on the other side just under the hide.

Comment

60gr NP or the 62gr whitetail load. Both are deadly.

Comment

Go with the Nosler, Barnes, or 64gr PP and you should be good to go .

Comment

My kids killed a ton of deer with a 223 when they were little. Barnes TSX bullets were by far the best I ever found for that gun.

Comment

I started all my kids on a 223 bolt gun. I have one kid left to learn on it. It will kill a deer cornbread dead and do so with ease. The best bullet I have found is a Sierra 55 gr SP. It is freakin' volatile. Shoot one in the base of the neck for DRT or behind the shoulder for a pretty vicious exit wound and a solid blood trail. It will kill anything you shoot with it.

Comment

I cull quite a few doe every year with my 223. Works very well, no penetration issues. You can drop'em with shoulder shots or put it behind the shoulder through the lungs and they will run a bit. Just like with any rifle. I shoot 55 gr hornady soft points. Plenty of gun for deer at reasonable ranges.

Comment

On MLD land I have killed a lot of antlerless and cull bucks with the .223 and 55 grain Remington SP. Everyone was shot with a point of the shoulder shot.

Comment

My .223 has 30+ deer on it. Even have to fight my dad and uncle to use it they like how small and light it is for the long hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X