ISO of a muzzle loader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO of a muzzle loader

Looking to get into muzzle loader hunting, anyone have a good starter they would want to sell. In the DFW area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inline or traditional?

Comment

In-line but I already ordered one

Comment

Any advise would be appreciated

Comment

Ordered a CVA Wolf in stainless

Comment

What did you order? Always had great luck with two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain SST. Recoil isn't bad and a whole lot let fouling and recoil than 150 grain charge. I Swab with two spit patches after each shot. I also like the CCI 209 primers over the others.

Comment

Sorry you beat my fingers

Comment

Thanks, any other equipment needed for hunting. I have read to keep a cleaning kit of some sorts with you.

Comment

Keep patches,needle nose pliers,powder flask,capper,powder measuring device(for loose powder), jag and I also carry an arrow puller that I can put on the ram rod just in case. For shooting I just swab a couple times from shot to shot to keep things close from shot to shot and makes cleaning easier when done. I just use dawn soap and water to clean and then patches of Kroil and bore butter after cleaning and storing.

Comment

If using sabots use bore butter rather than spit patches. It will make loading easier.

Comment

Originally posted by boleman154 View Post
                      Thanks, any other equipment needed for hunting. I have read to keep a cleaning kit of some sorts with you.

Now that you've ordered your gun, get ready to spend that again on everything you need!

My SS CVA Accura loves the 250gr Barnes TEZ sabots and 250gr Hornady SST sabots over 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 with 209 magnum primers. It will cover up holes at 100 yards.

Now you'll need a good cleaning kit. Patches, bore cleaner, bore butter, breech plug nipple grease, brass powder horn, powder measurer, breech plug pick, a couple of speed loaders, and a dry box to keep it all in.

I chose the Nikon Muzzleloader scope and I like it a lot.

Some will say use pellets. I for one, do not like them. You can really only shoot them in 50 grain increments and your gun may like 95 grains of powder or 110 grains. By using powder, it will be a lot like reloading and fine tuning to the load your gun likes. I chose Blackhorn 209 because of how clean it is. It is MUCH cleaner than any others I've tried. If you go with Blackhorn, you'll want to get a Blackhorn breech plug. You'll also need magnum primers. The standard 209 primers do not ignite it consistantly, even with the Blackhorn breech plug. You'll want to season your bore by running some bore butter through after every other shot or so for 20 rounds or however many you want. When sighting in, I fire off one or two primers to foul the barrel. My next 5 shots will be on top of each other without swabbing.

Rules:

-Never go hunting with a clean barrel. Fire a primer to foul the bore
                      -Do not let it sit loaded or uncleaned for more than a few weeks. That powder and residue will still eat a SS barrel.
                      -obviously be cautious when it's raining. Don't let water get into the bore.
                      -when you get settled in the stand, don't forget to put a primer in!! It will go CLICK!
                      Last edited by Sleepy; 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I use CVA anti cease grease. Never used the blackhorn 209 but hear good things. I usually put electrical tape on my muzzle. Firing a couple caps prior to loading when hunting is a good idea. It will also dry any oils that might of collected which could slow ignition or even fail. I do that at the house before the woods and just add a primer at legal shooting hours which is legal here in Indiana.

Comment

Cool deal guys, thanks for the advise.

Comment

I got a CVA Wolf from a friend for $40 about 7 years ago. I love it. It is my favorite gun. I use 100 grains (by volume) of Black Horn 209 behind 350 grain Hornady FPBs. I average 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. It's easier to clean with the Black Horn. Right smacks'em dead hog or deer

Comment

Another vote for Blackhorn 209. It's simply more consistent and cleaner burning than the other substitutes such as Pyrodex and Triple Seven. Cleaning the bore is a bit easier too.

The down side is that you may need a breech plug intended for BH209 as it takes a hot fire to ignite.

Comment

Working...
                              X