A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    First batch of honey in for the year. Very light colored. Suspect mostly clover. 8 gallons plus all the little honey bears
    Very nice!!

Comment

Sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflower planted late April. The mix has done really well everywhere planted this year. This with heavy utilization.
      that looks like a scene out of a horror movie. You are just missing the machete!

I know you do a ton to improve your soils, but do you feel like the floods had a beneficial effect on your soil? I have always heard that flooding is good for soil rejuvenation, but in some ways I think it may hurt you as your soils are drastically improved relative to the surrounding areas.

Also, I have a ranch question for you. Did y’all ever kill Dos Sientos? You sent me a video that followed him a few years ago. Figured he should be 7-8 years old now. He was a cool buck!

Comment

I think flooding on net is good for the soil in most places. Interestingly here on our farms the flooding occurs where we have red brick clay. I only have one plot that floods regularly and it is one of my science projects. It is hard red clay and I have been planting hemp, heavy rye and all sorts of stuff to see if I can change its structure, I haven't really seen flooding help it much.The habitat is entirely different where we flood vs. not with different plant species and growth patterns. Very productive in many ways. The pic I posted is from a field that never floods.

I also am involved with property between the Ms. river levee and the river. It floods annually and is some of the most fertile soil in the country. It is amazing what the river does for the soils there. Top soil is several feet thick.

Dos Cientos... At 7 he damaged the left side of his rack in velvet and was wildly nontypical on that side. Well over 200" but I let him go hoping he would balance out at 8 last year. We got pics of him in hard antler and he was spectacular. Nontypical but very balanced as he had been most of his life. Again well over 200". I had him as a top priority, While we got pics of him in October he was never seen at all after that. I do not know if he just went underground with the lush ranch conditions of last year or a lion got him. Fingers crossed but I'm fear the worst as he was always so mellow and visible.

There were several deer on the ranch last year that never showed up. Big ones. I've never had predator phobia but when they start killing several 200" deer a year things may change.

Comment

Really enjoying this thread. Excellent work Mr Gato

Comment

I think flooding on net is good for the soil in most places. Interestingly here on our farms the flooding occurs where we have red brick clay. I only have one plot that floods regularly and it is one of my science projects. It is hard red clay and I have been planting hemp, heavy rye and all sorts of stuff to see if I can change its structure, I haven't really seen flooding help it much.The habitat is entirely different where we flood vs. not with different plant species and growth patterns. Very productive in many ways. The pic I posted is from a field that never floods.

I also am involved with property between the Ms. river levee and the river. It floods annually and is some of the most fertile soil in the country. It is amazing what the river does for the soils there. Top soil is several feet thick.

Dos Cientos... At 7 he damaged the left side of his rack in velvet and was wildly nontypical on that side. Well over 200" but I let him go hoping he would balance out at 8 last year. We got pics of him in hard antler and he was spectacular. Nontypical but very balanced as he had been most of his life. Again well over 200". I had him as a top priority, While we got pics of him in October he was never seen at all after that. I do not know if he just went underground with the lush ranch conditions of last year or a lion got him. Fingers crossed but I'm fear the worst as he was always so mellow and visible.

There were several deer on the ranch last year that never showed up. Big ones. I've never had predator phobia but when they start killing several 200" deer a year things may change.
            Hope it was just a case of big deer getting lost in a sea of brush. My fingers are crossed for ya. In a couple of months I am sure you will know more.....

Comment

Elgato - I'm finally starting some good cucumber production. Made the first batch of pickles this past weekend. Tomatoes are kicking in too and the corn ended nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                Elgato - I'm finally starting some good cucumber production. Made the first batch of pickles this past weekend. Tomatoes are kicking in too and the corn ended nicely.
                Mmmmm-mmmmmm!!!
                That looks delicious.
                As always, way to go Rusty and family.
                Oops, way to go no tox. Lol
                Last edited by bukkskin; 07-03-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I’m so glad you posted those pics.we are all in Colorado escaping the heat and I’m missing my garden. Been watching gardening YouTube’s.....desperate Looking good

Comment

I have an 18 acre field that is red brick clay. Hard as a rock!. I call it my science project and have been working for years to try and loosen soil. When wet it grows well but cracks wide open when dry. I planted a bit over 11 lbs sunn hemp/acre along with the rest of my mix mentioned above. Everything came up and the buckwheat went to seed. Then we had a rainy week and the sunn hemp exploded! I decided to mow it back to about 2-3' and let it start growing again. I understand this causes more root growth which I think may help that tough soil. I did about half the field. It got quite tall and thick choking everything else out .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Man your Sunn hemp has done awesome Rusty! I planted some but I don’t think I got it deep enough or something as I haven’t seen much growth.

My 2.5 acres of cowpeas on the other hand are doing awesome and are getting nailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love seeing your food plots! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Can barely see that tractor in there! Wow.

Ethic those peas look awesome.

Comment

I love conversations that don't need me. Do what garguy says Jason.

Here's one more from my buddies side. I saw him two years ago then he disappeared. We never got a picture, saw him in summer, nor hunting season last yr. He best not walk by me again this yr.
                            Is this the dead deer you found in the flooded area?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                              Is this the dead deer you found in the flooded area?
                              Hmmmm, without going back and figuring out which deer and when if you will give me a post # I'll take a look. Too many bucks for me to keep up with.

Comment

Hmmmm, without going back and figuring out which deer and when if you will give me a post # I'll take a look. Too many bucks for me to keep up with.
                                1532 was the post number. I was reading back thru and he looked really similar to the buck you said you found (post 1965) when the flood waters came down
                                Last edited by sweetinlow660; 07-15-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X