Culling Younger Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culling Younger Bucks

Just a little pot stirrer from the link (https://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/sites/de...bbreviated.pdf) posted by bgleaton..!

DO NOT CULL YOUNGER BUCKS OF ANY KIND ON AN UNFED
    SOUTH TEXAS RANCH:

You don’t get any feed savings.

You are NOT making genetic improvement to your herd.

Unless you like shooting tiny young bucks for fun, you simply limit the number of mature culls you can harvest in the future.

I didn't read the link but what you have in black sounds like what all research done by actual researchers has been saying lol

Comment

It says Unfed, why is feeding savings even being brought up?
      It's about range condition less mouths equals more quality range for the remaining. The last two take a little common sense to figure out. Not making a genetic improvement and in the next bullet their worried about not having mature culls... Why on earth would you want to carry/support a sub par genetic on the individual basis, just to kill him at 5yrs old and 115inches.

Comment

Culling Younger Bucks

Last edited by Peyton; 06-21-2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I read this a few months ago. It’s interesting that the recommendation for well fed ranches is the opposite.

Comment

Kill them at 1.5 and you will never know what they turn out at 5.5 . It’s just like a decent chic in high school blow her off at 15 see what she turns to at 25? . Might be hot when she grows into her full potential seen it way to many times . But you live and you learn !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              Kill them at 1.5 and you will never know what they turn out at 5.5 . It’s just like a decent chic in high school blow her off at 15 see what she turns to at 25? . Might be hot when she grows into her full potential seen it way to many times . But you live and you learn !!
              I graduated highschool with a girl that was just plain ugly our senior yr. Have seen her since until recently. My gosh she is drop dead gorgeous

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                I read this a few months ago. It’s interesting that the recommendation for well fed ranches is the opposite.
                I would assume that they implying that nutrition is the limiting factor holding back deer on unfed ranches. They could still pop if given adequate nutrition (a rain year).

On a well fed ranch nutrition shouldn’t be the limiting factor so they shouldn’t be small but we all know there is more to it than that.

Comment

Oh good grief.

Comment

It never gets old. Or does it.......

Comment

Numerous issues brought up.

Comment

The words cull and young should never be used in the same sentence

Comment

Limiting the number of mature culls you can harvest in the future?

Comment

I had a very tame doe have four fawns one night right beside my house. 1 3/4 pounder died next morning. Another fawn died a week later. Two, one doe and one buck fawn I bottle raised. Both were two pounds at birth. The buck was an uneven 4" spike the first year. He was a smallish eight point at two years old. At three he bloomed into a 170ish 16 pointer with beer can bases and a 22" inside spread. Been a pity to shoot that buck at 1.5 when he was a 4" spike.....

Comment

What about pea gravel fed?

Comment

Working...
                              X