No announcement yet.

Shoulder mount turnaround time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be annoyed if I was told one thing and got another. That being said, 18 months + has been the norm for me.

Comment

I've never waited 12 months and if I had to then I'd find a new taxidermist. I'm just a contractor, but I turn down work all the time because I can't perform it in the time described, why should anyone wait because someone performing a service takes on more work than he can actually perform. I once got an elk back in 4 months because I begged and pleaded....we were having a Christmas party and I wanted it hanging over the fireplace before that party. 6-9 months has been the norm for me, whether it was deer, bear, turkey, fowl or varmint.

I'll qualify that people like Chance Love, who do this on the side and his clients know this, are an exception. If you use someone that does it on the side then you accept the possibility that his primary job and his family will come before your mount. But someone doing it as a career should better manage their workload.
      Last edited by curtintex; 05-17-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstephenson44 View Post
        Yep sounds like we are. In all honesty i wouldn’t have been mad if he had told me it would have taken a year and a half from the beginning. He does good work but to keep pushing the date back is what bothers me.
        Buddy of mine used them once too. Once. The guy did an all right job, but it sure as hell wasn’t a two-year-wait kind of job either.

Comment

I was told 10-12months on my ram. In all honesty......serious question. What takes so long??? It’s gotta be hard to make money on a job that takes a year to complete. What’s the part that takes the longest??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            I was told 10-12months on my ram. In all honesty......serious question. What takes so long??? It’s gotta be hard to make money on a job that takes a year to complete. What’s the part that takes the longest??

Getting the hide back from the tannery is my understanding. Really that shouldn’t take more than 3 - 5 months though.

Comment

From what I was told the tanning process takes up to 6 months if they ship it out (atleast from a taxidermist I had spoke with). Then getting it back, and starting on all the others in line before yours.

Comment

Avoiding phone calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  Getting the hide back from the tannery is my understanding. Really that shouldn’t take more than 3 - 5 months though.

Man........what’s the problem? Does it truly take that long to tan? Or is there just a lot of work and not a lot of tanneries? Seems like it could be a good business opportunity! Lol

Comment

"Getting the hide back from the tannery is my understanding. " N. TX. Tanning about 45 days.

Comment

Shoulder mount should take less than a year for a full time taxidermist

Comment

I still have a 2017 turkey at taxi--think he is waiting to shoot one like mine to sub it out.

Comment

If he told you one thing and hasn’t delivered, I would be getting very aggravated. That being said, my taxi is usually a 6-9 month turnaround. The longest I would wait is 12 months or I would find a new taxi

Comment

I dropped my Hagerman buck off late November 2018, I had the antlers until early January, had my mount late March 2019.

Comment

6-12 months depends on how much work my taxidermist has. He is a solid guy and hasn’t let me down let.

Now the guy that does my birds is a bit of a flake but does amazing work so I’ll deal with it.

Pretty sure I use the same guy Curt does.

Comment

1 year!

Comment

Working...
                                X