X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Ken! Thanks for sharing brother! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      Somewhere in Colorado... Somewhere that has OTC tags...

If the hunting sucks, I will tell you. If we kill something... I'll still tell you... but probably will lie about it

But in all seriousness, since it is public land DIY, we'll stick to the time honored tradition of not advertising the area out on an open forum.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
      I'll gladly tell you, I will be in Unit #62 the 2nd week of September. I don't think the telling will diminish my odds. If you want to find me to "hunt my spot" Good Luck! 881,850 Acres. 1378 Square Miles.
      By the time you find my spot, I'll be enjoying Turkey Day with my family.

Comment

That is awesome Ken!

I recently was afforded the opportunity to explain the "levels of hunting success" to my wife on her first ever hunt a few weeks back. We had been sitting in a ground blind we had built earlier that year and were waiting for the hogs to come out. On our way to the blind, we had come across some bedded pigs, and we setup for a shot, but got winded and so that was that. I told her, at this point, the trip was already a success... and then had to explain myself.

See... success is measured in this order

1) You decide to go hunting
        2) You actually step out of the truck/tent whatever, and walk to your hunting location (stand, woods, field, whatever...)
        3) You hear something
        4) You see something.
        5) You see what you were after.
        6) You get an opportunity to shoot something
        7) You get an opportunity to shoot what you were after
        8) You actually shoot something
        9) You actually shoot what you were after
        10) You recover something.
        11) You actually recover what you were after.

At our point in the hunt... I told her, look babe... we went through a whole friggin list of successes in just the last hour. I mean, we jumped to #7. Now we did debate, from her perspective, if she really had an opportunity... so even so, we hit #5. Of course long story short... in the span of just 2 hours... she hit #11 (Very proud moment!)

I'd be happier than hell to reach #5 or #6 on this hunt; especially considering it is my first time in this environment/situation chasing a new critter I have never chased before.

Comment

Good luck guys!

Comment

That is awesome Ken!

I recently was afforded the opportunity to explain the "levels of hunting success" to my wife on her first ever hunt a few weeks back. We had been sitting in a ground blind we had built earlier that year and were waiting for the hogs to come out. On our way to the blind, we had come across some bedded pigs, and we setup for a shot, but got winded and so that was that. I told her, at this point, the trip was already a success... and then had to explain myself.

See... success is measured in this order

1) You decide to go hunting
            2) You actually step out of the truck/tent whatever, and walk to your hunting location (stand, woods, field, whatever...)
            3) You hear something
            4) You see something.
            5) You see what you were after.
            6) You get an opportunity to shoot something
            7) You get an opportunity to shoot what you were after
            8) You actually shoot something
            9) You actually shoot what you were after
            10) You recover something.
            11) You actually recover what you were after.

At our point in the hunt... I told her, look babe... we went through a whole friggin list of successes in just the last hour. I mean, we jumped to #7. Now we did debate, from her perspective, if she really had an opportunity... so even so, we hit #5. Of course long story short... in the span of just 2 hours... she hit #11 (Very proud moment!)

I'd be happier than hell to reach #5 or #6 on this hunt; especially considering it is my first time in this environment/situation chasing a new critter I have never chased before.
            What an honest hunting perspective. “Takin notes over here Boss.” Even without asking...my wife’s efficiency rating gives that list the stamp of “Unapproved Efficiency”. Ill be chuckling on the list for a while.

SwampRabbit...the grouse would hold still...and still barely change position after being spooked from multiple missed shots. Givem the Grousing Bunny Thumper. I never saw’em higher than 12-15’ in a tree.

Comment

I shot a few on the ground. Easier to hit. Make a great camp meal.

Comment

Finally got around to grinding and cutting some feathers last night and reflected my arrows that had white fletchings. Feel that I have been getting picked off more with the white fletchings in my quiver. I got a butt load of lighted nocks on clearance... so will lean on those for visibility of shot placement rather than white. Had considered going hiviz pink or chartreuse... but might as well use the nocks.

I would say these are good to go (22 yards).

Comment

And... I will admit, I have had better success with the turkey fletchings. I don't think it is the fletchings as much as the reminder that they provide that I CAN do this when I nock them. Those feathers are from a turkey that I ran the same arrow through using the same bow.

Comment

Yep. Looks like you are ready.

Comment

Great shooting Scott!!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                        Great shooting Scott!!
                        Well, if I am being honest... there were 4 arrows before that picture was taken (but it wasn't the first or second shot... and I sure hope there aren't mosquitos in the high country... I may have rushed it to swat a little bugger.)

Comment

Well, if I am being honest... there were 4 arrows before that picture was taken (but it wasn't the first or second shot... and I sure hope there aren't mosquitos in the high country... I may have rushed it to swat a little bugger.)
                          If you got a water hole around you the skeeters carry you off up there. Not really in the morning it’s too cold. Black flies were my problem this time. I couldn’t hear myself think with the buzzing. Sweat bees were ridiculous too!

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                            If you got a water hole around you the skeeters carry you off up there. Not really in the morning it’s too cold. Black flies were my problem this time. I couldn’t hear myself think with the buzzing. Sweat bees were ridiculous too!
                            Thermacell... check!

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                              Good grief...the main thing I was looking forward to was getting away from the dadgum mosquitos.

Comment

I'm off work as of now until the 17th...all my stuff is piled in the garage. At some point Saturday I'll move it all in the living room by the front door, then around 330 a.m. Sunday I'll load it all in the truck, and be on the road by 4:00. I'm stoked!!

Comment

Working...
                                X