Self Adjusting Feeder Timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that there are already some timers on the market that can be set to go off at the same time in relation to sunrise and sunset everyday but I don’t ever hear anything about them. Seems that The Timer is the widely used and fool proof timer but they have to get adjusted a couple times a year to adjust for changing sunrise and sunset.

Anybody have experience with a timer that adjusts automatically all year for the changing sunrise and sunset times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one yrs ago that automatically reprogramed itself for daylight savings time.

Then the government changed the dates of DST.

The timer was preprogramed for the old dates for about the next gazillion yrs.

It was a pain in the butt trying to make the adjustment or you would show up and it would be throwing in the dark.

Comment

I have two of them!! Wish someone would take over the patent

Comment

I still have an old Kenco 6 volt that is sunrise/sunset related. It will go off usually about 15 minutes after it starts getting light, and then go off one hour before sunset. I can set it from 1 second up to 30 seconds. I’ve had that thing for over 15 years and it has never missed a beat. It’s built like a tank too, solid heavy duty metal.

Comment

We had three of the old kendo units and they were bullet proof. They were the first feeder motors we bought and ran the them for about 15 years. Unfortunately they were not fire proof and when we lost them when our ranch burned in 2010 we did not go back to a photo cell unit. They would throw 1/2 hour after sunrise and 1/2 hour before sunset.

This ment you did not have feed on the ground for the first hour of legal shooting light which is a bit late and then again for the last hour of it. Also because it auto adjusted based on sunrise/set you never knew exactly when it "should" go off.

I loved there simplicity but not the lack of adjustment

Comment

Google “Cheap Piece of Crap” and you’ll find em.

Comment

I have one and it has been tuning for two years perfectly.
              I never have to reset the clock or adjust feedings as the days get shorter.
              Set it and forget it. Game country mechanism.

Time will tell, but as many feeders as I check, this is the least maintenance.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

^^^^^^^^^^yep

Comment

I still have two. Probably close to 20 years old and work great. 4 settings off of a clock timer, 4 settings off of sunrise/sunset with each time has its own feeding duration
                  I hunt axis in the summer as well so it always goes off at the right time
                  I'd pay double for the timer cost for more of these
                  Wish I was smart enough to make and market them

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    The Timer?

Comment

I just set my Texas Hunter feeders for 8:00 A. M. and 5:00 P. M. That works well for me as just because your clock changes doesn't mean the sun changes. I've done it for years and have not been disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                        The Timer?
                        Lol!! They’ll be second. (For a few batches anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                          I still have an old Kenco 6 volt that is sunrise/sunset related. It will go off usually about 15 minutes after it starts getting light, and then go off one hour before sunset. I can set it from 1 second up to 30 seconds. I’ve had that thing for over 15 years and it has never missed a beat. It’s built like a tank too, solid heavy duty metal.
                          I had one as well. great timers and solid as well.

I would take an old magnum dusk/dawn feeder and place a cone over the photo cell, reducing the light to it. That would make the feeder go off earlier in the afternoon.

For simplicity sake, dusk/dawn feeders are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            I just set my Texas Hunter feeders for 8:00 A. M. and 5:00 P. M. That works well for me as just because your clock changes doesn't mean the sun changes. I've done it for years and have not been disappointed.
                            The longer and shorter days are the problem, not DST.
                            Photo cell depend on brightness of the morning to go off early enough to suit me
                            The ones that track sunrise and sunset are great for us year around hunters.
                            Mine is actually set go off twice morning and twice in the afternoon. Early and late morning, and early and late afternoon.

BTW. I also use a lot of tx hunter mechanisms with good luck.

Comment

I can’t for the life of me figure out with technology available why a digital timer can’t have an astronomical clock mechanism built into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X