Atascosa County Drop Tine Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atascosa County Drop Tine Buck

I killed my best buck with a bow last week at our place in Atascosa County, a deer I named Kickstand... below is a recap of the hunt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail Pic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	25104284

After seeing this buck on camera earlier in the season, he'd only been spotted a couple of times before I saw him from a rifle blind on the afternoon of the 28th. He came out by himself around 3:45 PM and hung around until about 5 PM.

Name:	Scope Pic.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	25104285

I was really temped to shoot him, especially since he had developed a limp, but I decided to hold off and try to get him with my bow. The morning of the 29th was very windy (gusting to 35+ MPH at times), but fortunately it was blowing directly at my popup from the feeder, and the deer weren't very spooky. Kickstand was a no show, but I also didn't see any of the same deer that I had seen the afternoon before, so I still felt good that he would show up in the afternoon.

I got back in the popup at 2 PM and didn't see much until a doe and a yearling came out around 3. I was reading a book and not paying too much attention when I happened to look up, and all of a sudden he was RIGHT THERE in my hand corn, 15 yds away!

I slowly got in position, and when all three of the deer at the feeder had their heads down and the buck was almost broadside, I drew back and waited for him to give me a shot. After almost turning broadside one way, he swapped ends, brought his right leg forward, and I settled the pin behind his shoulder and let the arrow fly.

I didn't see the arrow hit, but I heard a THWACK and he took off to my right, kind of hunching up as he ran. I couldn't see the arrow in him or any blood where I might have hit. I also couldn't see the arrow laying on the ground, which made me really start to second-guess my shot over the next half hour.

After an agonizing 30 minutes, I got out of the blind and found the arrow near the feeder, coated in blood, from the SlickTrick to the nock.

Name:	Arrow.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	25104286

My dad got there shortly after that and we began the track. I felt better about the shot after finding the arrow, but there was NO blood trail to speak of. Fortunately I had seen the way he ran, and we started looking for blood around the game trails that the deer used to enter/exit the brush. As I was looking for blood around one game trail, my dad called out that he hadn't found any blood, but he could see a dead deer! He was about 20 yds in the brush after running about 50 yds total from the feeder.

Name:	LDP.jpg
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	25104287

The above picture shows the exit, just on the opposite side shoulder. The shot was a good pass through, entering right behind his onside shoulder, and as with the other deer that I've shot with SlickTricks, he didn't bleed much for the first 30-40 yds, but he didn't go far either.

He scored 165 3/8 with his left main beam broken off right past the G4, and if his left side matched his right, he would have been a mainframe 12 pt.

Name:	LDP1.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	25104288

Name:	LDP2.jpg
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	25104289

Thanks for reading!

Man that's a dandy!

Comment

Very nice...Thats a great looking buck. That drop tine is too cool.

Comment

congrats - heck of a buck!!

Comment

Great buck. What part of the county?

Comment

man, what a buck... hate he was broke off!!

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
              Great buck. What part of the county?
              Thanks! Near Poteet.

Comment

Congrats on a toad. Thats an awesome buck.

Comment

Very nice buck, congrats!

Comment

stud of a deer!

Comment

Fantastic animal, congratulations!

Comment

Well done. Congrats!

Comment

Great deer and photos. Congratulations

Comment

Nice read, and great buck!