Got my butt handed to me today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my butt handed to me today!

Went to pull a stand today that I left out on public land last week (I know, major no no). About 1 1/4 miles from the truck I bumped into a group of about 20 hogs. Not wanting to drag a good sized hog plus carry my stand and climbing rails that far I decided to shoot a little 20 pounder. So I Slipped in to about 20 yrds and let one fly. Perfect left and right but was about 4" low and hit a log on the ground. They skirted off and dipped down in a small drainage and headed left. Bad mistake! I know right where they are headed so I run about 75 yrds and get ahead of them and am waiting for them when they come out the other side. They aren't even spooked anymore and are just feeding their way along so I slip up to a tree and wait. About 20 pounder ( may have even been the same one) come out of the brush at 10 yrds and I pluck the string like a freaking rookie and peak at the same time and sail 6" over its back. They scamper off again headed back the other way.
    I was so disgusted with myself almost threw my bow at them as they left!
    So I just say screw it and I go get my stand and rails and pack up and head back to get my first arrow thats still stuck in the log. When I round the corner the same dang group of hogs now about 10 in number is in the trail 50 yrds away feeding. So I nock another arrow and slip into about 25 yrds. This time I focus and take my time and execute a perfect shot only to have the little bastage jump the string and the arrow sticks in the ground where it was standing. They run off about 20 yrds and start feeding agin.
    I was so frustrated I just threw my bow on the ground and walk toward them and growl at them and they finally get the hint and run off.

When I get home I get some practice arrows and step outside and make three bulls eyes at 20 yrds in about a 3" group.
    What can I say, I guess you can't always be a stone cold killer!
    Last edited by Randy Madden; 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM.

LOL! Sounds like my luck.

Comment

that why it's called hunting and not killing. Next time it's their *****

Comment

I have a similar story just as bad. It is humbling for sure.

Comment

Aw man!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
            Went to pull a stand today that I left out on public land last week (I know, major no no). About 1 1/4 miles from the truck I bumped into a group of about 20 hogs. Not wanting to drag a good sized hog plus carry my stand and climbing rails that far I decided to shoot a little 20 pounder. So I Slipped in to about 20 yrds and let one fly. Perfect left and right but was about 4" low and hit a log on the ground. They skirted off and dipped down in a small drainage and headed left. Bad mistake! I know right where they are headed so I run about 75 yrds and get ahead of them and am waiting for them when they come out the other side. They aren't even spooked anymore and are just feeding their way along so I slip up to a tree and wait. About 20 pounder ( may have even been the same one) come out of the brush at 10 yrds and I pluck the string like a freaking rookie and peak at the same time and sail 6" over its back. They scamper off again headed back the other way.
            So I just say screw it and I go get my stand and rails and pack up and head back to get my first arrow thats still stuck in the log. When I round the corner the same dang group of hogs now about 10 in number is in the trail 50 yrds away feeding. So I nock another arrow and slip into about 25 yrds. This time I focus and take my time and execute a perfect shot only to have the little bastage jump the string and the arrow sticks in the ground where it was standing. They run off about 20 yrds and start feeding agin.
            I was so frustrated I just threw my bow on the ground and walk toward them and growl at them and they finally get the hint and run off.

When I get home I get some practice arrows and step outside and make three bulls eyes at 20 yrds in about a 3" group.

Dude freaking awesome... I haven’t made it out to do my first hunt yet. You can just scout around and run into hog like that? That’s pretty cool I can’t wait to get out there. Good story. The harsh reality of hunting. Can’t always be good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had similar thing this year. Shot and missed 6 times. Came to camp driving tacks, came home and bought a compound,

Comment

Happens to us all bud. You still had a good day. First u woke up. Always a good thing. You got to go to the woods and do what u love to do. Always a good thing. Saw some critters and a chance to put some meat in the freezer. Always a good thing. Found out long time ago that there are no mistakes or problems. They are opportunities. Can look back and figure out what happened and go forward. In my mind you had a great day. Best of luck on your next hunt.

Comment

Know the feeling.

Comment

Man, that's tough. Can happen to any one of us. Better luck next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post

I doubt anyone would steal a stand on public land that is more than 2-300yds from a road
                      The kind of folks that get that deep in are not the kind to steal stuff (at least most of the time)

Look at your adventure this way, shooting needs a little work but your stalking skills are pretty good

Comment

I hear y'all!! Was a great day altogether.
                        Shooting could always use some work. Been on fire so far this season. Had 3 shot opportunities, 1 bear and 2 deer. Made perfect shots on them but these little hogs on the ground wore me out!! When I have to much time to think I completely fall apart!! Still laughing about it tho!!

Comment

Yeah that's not how you would want it to go.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

haha this was a good read early in the morning! Now you know its not the bow and can smack one next time!

Comment

My stories like this usually end up with lost, expensive arrows/broadheads to add insult to injury!

Comment

Working...
                              X