Alaskan Moose Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
    If you want to kill one with a bow commit to it and go for it. I wouldn't blame you for using a rifle though.

Best of luck!
    Thank you Kdog. I definitely want to use the bow. Since its my first time Moose huting, I think everyone wants me to be first up. Someone will be in the back with the rifle and calling while the person in front will be ready with the bow. We will be using decoys and paddles to help draw them in. The news from Anchorage is the moose are starting to respond to calling earlier than usual so we should be in a great position to see moose

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck. Hope to get this scheduled for myself and Some buddies for 2019.

Comment

Alaskan Moose Hunt

They are big animals. When they are rutting they can really come to the calls. But when I shot mine me and the guide stalked in on him walking close together trying to sound like another moose. This agitated the heck out of the bull. He was grunting and raking his antlers before we made any other call. In fact we didn't call at all. My guide raked a tree and he came in on a string, slobbering and grunting the whole way. You are going to have a blast!

Comment

Good luck on your hunt.

I did my DIY Alaska Moose hunt in 2011, this was such an awesome experience. I did my hunt with Forty Mile Air. Absolutely amazing hunt. Link to my hunt below.

Comment

Good luck on your adventure, I leave tomorrow for my Alaska Moose hunt.
            Looking forward to putting Harvey and all the madness in and around Houston in my rear view mirror for a few weeks. Thank God for sparing my house and allowing me to go on my hunt.

Comment

Best of luck. I got my moose near Cold Foot, AK back in the 90's. You only think they're big until you stand next to one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post

They are big animals. When they are rutting they can really come to the calls. But when I shot mine me and the guide stalked in on him walking close together trying to sound like another moose. This agitated the heck out of the bull. He was grunting and raking his antlers before we made any other call. In fact we didn't call at all. My guide raked a tree and he came in on a string, slobbering and grunting the whole way. You are going to have a blast!
                Nice bull! I am super excited to say the least. Yeah as I have been told, when they are in rut, anything walking towards them is a piece of arse. Side note, I was told whatever you do, do not get down on all 4's as you will resemble a predator and will more than likely either spook them and they'll go miles or they could charge to protect themselves and their women. Moose never see humans where we will be hunting so if they see you, they are more likely to be curious than see me as a threat. Unless I get down on all 4's.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                  Good luck on your adventure, I leave tomorrow for my Alaska Moose hunt.
                  Looking forward to putting Harvey and all the madness in and around Houston in my rear view mirror for a few weeks. Thank God for sparing my house and allowing me to go on my hunt.
                  Good luck TexasTK. I'm glad to hear your home was spared. Getting away should help clear your head.

Feel free to give updates on this thread if you want. Would be great to hear about your adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Best of luck. I got my moose near Cold Foot, AK back in the 90's. You only think they're big until you stand next to one.
                    That's what I keep hearing. I'm told that their backs stand at 8 and a half feet tall out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad75 View Post
                      Good luck on your hunt.

I did my DIY Alaska Moose hunt in 2011, this was such an awesome experience. I did my hunt with Forty Mile Air. Absolutely amazing hunt. Link to my hunt below.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=236635
                      Awesome write up. Sounds like an amazing trip you had. The pictures are no longer on your thread, but what a trophy! It sounds like your trip is very similar to how mine will be (God willing I drop a nice bull like yourself).

Comment

All I can say is they are one big animal. You will have 10-15 minutes of picture taking and back slapping. Then you walk up to it with your knife and say what the h*ll am I going to do with this Simmental bull!

But you will never forget the adventure of being in true wilderness. No roads, no fences, no people, no manmade structures. Just vastness as far as you can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          All I can say is they are one big animal. You will have 10-15 minutes of picture taking and back slapping. Then you walk up to it with your knife and say what the h*ll am I going to do with this Simmental bull!

But you will never forget the adventure of being in true wilderness. No roads, no fences, no people, no manmade structures. Just vastness as far as you can see.
                          I've seen Shirus Moose in Colorado at a close distance, but I get the feeling this will completely blow that experience out of the water. I'm looking forward to the solitude. The closet trapper cabin/potential human is 21 miles from where I'll be. It's a great feeling.

Comment

Our hunt is during the same time period 9/14-9/28 but were going out of Aniak. Tok should be colder at that time so be prepared. We also pack a roll up sled to drag out the quarters as opposed to on our backs. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                              Our hunt is during the same time period 9/14-9/28 but were going out of Aniak. Tok should be colder at that time so be prepared. We also pack a roll up sled to drag out the quarters as opposed to on our backs. Good luck!
                              I like the sled idea. We are taking a pack raft. If we get a moose upriver it should help. It's going to be cold

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, that was a while ago. Here are a few pics. Good luck to ya and hope you enjoy your hunt as much as I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X