Bushnell TC external battery box and solar charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushnell TC external battery box and solar charger

I just wrote this long how to step by step narrative on a walk through of this build but it didn't upload.

So pics for now. If you have questions feel free to ask.
    Attached Files

The plug is an enercell brand "adaptaplug" tip "b".... I just went to radio shack with my bushnell and they have a lot of them they can try, she found the right one and then I had to also buy the adapter wires that plug into the plug, so I could wire it to the 6 volt battery.

Comment

Looks good. I bet it works fine man.

Comment

Dang, sure wish it didn't get deleted. I've got 4 of those cameras and have been wanting to convert to solar. Then they will be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
          Dang, sure wish it didn't get deleted. I've got 4 of those cameras and have been wanting to convert to solar. Then they will be perfect.
          Lol. I will try to throw some steps up on the computer soon. Just too much to write again on the ole phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
            Lol. I will try to throw some steps up on the computer soon. Just too much to write again on the ole phone.
            It's happened to me before...it sucks. I'll be interested whenever you get around to it

Comment

very interested in a complete price breakdown, as well as detailed steps.

This is a cool build and very helpful as I have 2 camo BTC's.

Comment

Bushnell TC Solar Panel and External Box
                First I had to get the right tip “b” and the adapter to plug it into. The adapter fits both ways but the correct way has “tip” on the side the tip is supposed to face. (Pretty Simple). I then used electrical tape to make sure they would not come apart since they just slide together.
                At this juncture I realized that the external port on the TC will not allow you to plug it in AND open the door. (If you can’t open the door with the unit on you can’t set it.) Seems like an oversight on Bushnell’s part. Anyways, I had to cut the bottom of the door out to allow the plug to stay plugged in either open or closed position. You can see this in the pictures.
                I chose to utilize some old Sweeney feeder timers I had lying around for 2 reasons. 1. They fit just perfect. 2. They were Free. I drilled a hole on each end of the panel door and added some wing bolts to make the box more secure. On the Top of the box I added a solar panel pointed in the opposite direction of the camera. (The camera needs to face away from the sun and the solar panel needs to point towards it). The solar panel wires are unexposed this way to critters, so no need for wire loom.

On the door of the Sweeney timer box I drilled two ¼” holes and then replicated that on the back of the Bushnell TC. (The back of the Bushnell TC has no electronics in it, just a molded plastic battery box). I drilled one hole between the strap loops and another a few inches lower. I had initially intended to use the threaded insert in the bottom of the TC but I felt it wouldn’t hold up. It seemed it could be too easily broken or would spin when the curious coon got up there to check things out, then he would either run off with my camera or the camera would be on the ground waiting to be trampled, rolled, and eating by pigs. The strap loop on the back of the TC allows for the Camera to slope downward, which I feel is the perfect angle to be set Chest high pointed at a feeder. On the bottom bolt I added 5 washers between the camera and box to make sure it was solidly bolted down.

Also on the door of the box I cut a hole to allow the external battery cable to run from the camera to the battery. I am going to go back and add some stainless steel wire loom to this area but have not done so yet.

In the Sweeney feeder box I cut slots with a right angle grinder to allow for the strap to slide in and be able to secure the entire unit to a couple of T post. I plan on drilling 4 holes (one in each corner of the box) to add some wire to help secure the added weight of battery, box, and camera to the Tpost.

At this point I have not finished the wiring. All that needs to be done is tie the camera and solar panel into one so that I can connect it to the 6V battery. (making sure to leave enough wiring for easy installation of the battery, and for the door to come open).

I only had 2 Sweeney feeder timer boxes, and needed 3. BUT I found a fiberglass junction box in my feeder timer box o goodies. So I will also be using one of these with pics to follow of it.
                If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunterBall View Post
                  very interested in a complete price breakdown, as well as detailed steps.

This is a cool build and very helpful as I have 2 camo BTC's.
                  Price Break down to me was almost free. The only things i had to buy were the plugs and adapters (3 sets for $30-40). I allready owned all the other stuff from previous builds. But I will Try to get you a break down. Let me go do some searching.

Comment

Parts List:
                    Bushnell TC: $1-200 (I picked up two of these in the classifieds here for 100 a piece).
                    6 V Battery: $10-12
                    6V Solar panel: $15-20
                    Plug and adapter: $10
                    Random Screws and bolts: ??? (go to Wal-Mart and pick you up an assortment for around $10-15 and use them for quite a few projects).
                    Spray paint: $5-10
                    Battery Box: ??? (mine were free) But I’ve seen those fiberglass/plastic boxes for $20-30.
                    Last edited by Coach W; 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Finished 2 of them. Pics
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sweet! I like em.

Comment

Set 2 up today.
                          Attached Files

Comment

These are still out with the original batteries and taking pics well.... Has saved me a ton on AA batteries.

Comment

Good info!

Comment

Working...
                              X