X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

What is that board running perpendicular to all the ceiling joists on top of the plate? Never seent it done like that. Please learn me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        What is that board running perpendicular to all the ceiling joists on top of the plate? Never seent it done like that. Please learn me!

So I have something to attach sheetrock. If layed on its side it leaves 1" overhang on both sides of the wall. Basically an extra board and doesn't come into play for ceiling joist.
        Last edited by Antlers86; 07-19-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

This one

Comment

I see now. Not sure what you call it. Basically a board to attach joist. What else would they be nailed too? My house I went all the way around with it the same way. It was how the book I went by said to do it.

Comment

Flash_Outdoors I did a quick search of ceiling joist framing and see your point. The style roof I am going with needs a little clearance. Either I build a pony wall or this board on the side will allow for enough clearance for the roof/porch. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of my house build to give you a better idea. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I just remembered this from the book and went with the way I knew already.

Comment

Here is an idea of what the roof will do and porch. Only change will be full wrap around and no pony wall on this house. The board on end gives just enough clearance to build the porches. I will cut a birdsmouth notch in the roof rafters that will sit on top of it.

Pics below are framing pics 9 yrs ago of my house.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                  Flash_Outdoors I did a quick search of ceiling joist framing and see your point. The style roof I am going with needs a little clearance. Either I build a pony wall or this board on the side will allow for enough clearance for the roof/porch. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of my house build to give you a better idea. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I just remembered this from the book and went with the way I knew already.

Cool. I’ve just never seen that before. Makes sense if you are attaching a porch to it thou!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                    I see now. Not sure what you call it. Basically a board to attach joist. What else would they be nailed too? My house I went all the way around with it the same way. It was how the book I went by said to do it.
                    I've already purchased a how-to book because of this thread but I assumed you had a construction background already. Are you saying you built your house and now this one from book knowledge and ingenuity? That's impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                      I've already purchased a how-to book because of this thread but I assumed you had a construction background already. Are you saying you built your house and now this one from book knowledge and ingenuity? That's impressive.
                      No construction background other than trim work for a couple years out of high school. I did take woodshop in for 4 yrs and built a couple really nice deer stands. Was in a woodworking book my senior year for a 4x8 deer blind that looked like a cabin on the inside.

The book I built my house from had EVERYTHING in it. Foundation, framing, different styles of roofing, electrical, plumbing, septic, decking, basement, so on and so on. It was very detailed how to. I want to say it was called something along the lines of Complete Contractors Kit. I have googled and can't seem to find it. My FIL who gave it to me says it was a college course book.

I'm always up for a challenge and projects like this are very satisfying when completed!

Comment

looking GREAT

Hows the wife doing?

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                          looking GREAT

Hows the wife doing?
                          Off and on ok. Pain still comes and goes. I believe she will have to have surgery and have it removed. She goes back next week for another checkup

Comment

Let's see what we can accomplish today. Just ordered more material. Will know total cost when it's delivered and paid for. Finishing up Ceiling Joist now and should be ready for rafters when they arrive!

I have help coming at some point today! Nice breeze right now so hopefully the heat doesn't get too bad!

Comment

Boarded area on top of joist is for attic space.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looking goooood!
                                One man wrecking crew

Comment

Working...
                                X