Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone herd of boiling guns in water to clean them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone herd of boiling guns in water to clean them?

A old man told me that he would dip his pistols in boiling water and when he pulled them out the water would evaporate leaving a clean gun?

Hmmmm

We would wash out our pumps after a saltwater duck hunt and then oil the bejevers out of them....

Comment

if you do it make sure you follow with oil

Comment

Heat treated steel will resist corrosion better than annealed, and the hot water may evaporate quickly enough nothing rust but I don't know if I would try it.

Comment

We did this to clean receiver and other parts of shot guns then dry with a hair dryer to get any left over water. Then lightly oil and put it back together. Still have both of those guns

Comment

i do that with my fishing reels...not my guns..

Comment

Interesting. Sounds like it would work, but I'd try it on something else first.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                Interesting. Sounds like it would work, but I'd try it on something else first.
                Like a buddy's gun?

Comment

we took our M 16's in the shower before inspection,then oiled the crap out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                    we took our M 16's in the shower before inspection,then oiled the crap out of them.
                    Too much information. Lol. Jk. Thanks for your service.

Comment

Used to do it every year in Sask...to keep gunk from building up on the insides...water has to be at a rolling boil...you may be surprised at how much junk comes out during the first cleaning...I agree with the folllow up oil, but only a light oiling is necessary...the heat of the water dries the metal, and there is no water left in the gun...remember...HOT HOT HOT boiling water.

Comment

when i did alot of duck hunting around matagorda we would spray off our shotguns with the water hose then dry them off and oil the dog mess out of them. they were synthetic stock guns.

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                          Like a buddy's gun?

Comment

I don't think I could do it! It might work but I'm thinking how to get oil on every crease and hard to see areas.

Comment

I know they recommend boiling water to clean muzzleloaders

Comment

Working...
                              X