Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side by Sides orv's, will they ever be street legal in Texas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    I started to quote the rest of the statutes that I looked up but it was getting long winded.

Other Texas traffic laws simply say that a UTV, ROV or ATV can't be operated on a public roadway with a few exemptions such as (as you know) law enforcement, farm equipment and crossing the roadway from private property to private property.

While someone may be able to obtain a license plate (and I don't think they can), the state law still says that they cannot be legally operated on the street. As an example, the Transportation Code says that a golf cart may be registered with a license plate under certain conditions however that plate does not exempt it from the state laws that say it can't typically be used on a roadway.
    i don't know why i typed tracy.... i guess because they are both GIRLS names....
    Last edited by crittergitter; 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

for a while the mules were able to get a plate and be on street.... it was due that they were limited on speed to 25mph and registered as a golf cart... they did away wit hthe loop hole...most were registering so they could ride on teh beaches... not sure I would want to see these on the highways..... not really built for it...

Comment

Originally posted by crittergitter View Post
        i don't know why i typed tracy.... i guess because they are both GIRLS names....
        You mean that Terri is a girl's name.

Comment

Just a note on this topic....

My parents live in a community that used to have "private" roads so there were always ATVs and UTVs roaming the neighborhood. The newest owner didn't care for them and changed (don't fault me I don't really know how street "ownership" is determined) them to public roads with County Road signs. A few people in our neighborhood were able to get their rangers and rhinos plated for a few years before the law changed. Some of them are still getting current reg and inspections. However, no one has been able to get a new one registered in a few years. Their roads are all dirt/ unimproved and the speed limit is max 25 around the place. I understand not wanting rangers on a big highway but it sucks not being able to plate them for use around country neighborhoods like theirs.

My .02

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I can drive my mini truck on the highway (and do), for Farm use only, in Daylight hrs. with headlights on, and orange triangle flag within a 25 mile radius of the Farm.

Farm Bureau got these and utvs passed for farm use about 3 yrs ago. (we have been pulled over by troopers and handed them the law we printed and put in the glove box.

No insurance or reg needed
            ^This. We can ride our Kabota and Mule legally on the country roads at my ranch. We have the orange triangle and we put a windshield on it. We drive back and forth from place to place, roughly 10 miles. We do ride down an actually FM road, so I'm not sure what else you would have to do.

Comment

ATV's and UTV's can be licensed up here in Wyoming as long as you have a horn and rearview mirror. I see them all the time on the streets. I just purchased a new Polaris Rzr this week and they asked me if I was going to license it.
              I don't plan on it because the pavement is too hard on the tires.

Comment

When I worked at cabelas had a customer come in driving a side by side with plates on it. Said it took him a long time to get it done but got it legal to drive here in Texas. Don't know the details but he said something about having to change out the tire sizes and a lot of other stuff

Comment

I see people riding motorized wheel chairs on the street. How are these legal?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    I see people riding motorized wheel chairs on the street. How are these legal?

They cant be legal but no cop wants to stop them because it dont look good but omg they are so dangerous for sure, i hate them!!!

Comment

Wheel chairs are bad here near town. One going down 1488 every morning on the line ....

One of my clients lost his father driving a 4 wheeler across to store every day. Did it for years but got hit crossing rd on his beverage run. Tried to pull the farm use checking other pastures card but lost out. Tried to sue lady that hit him cause she was speeding and never saw him but didn't matter since fm359 in a curve.

Comment

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
                        They cant be legal but no cop wants to stop them because it dont look good but omg they are so dangerous for sure, i hate them!!!
                        REALLY
                        Sec. 542.009. OPERATORS OF CERTAIN MOBILITY DEVICES. (a) In this section, "motorized mobility device" means a device designed for transportation of persons with physical disabilities that:
                        (1) has three or more wheels;
                        (2) is propelled by a battery-powered motor;
                        (3) has not more than one forward gear; and
                        (4) is not capable of speeds exceeding eight miles per hour.
                        (b) For the purposes of this subtitle, a person operating a nonmotorized wheelchair or motorized mobility device is considered to be a pedestrian

Comment

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but the Kubota dealer told us that you could drive them on the street without a license plate or orange triangle if they were factory governed to run 17 mph or less. I was a little skeptical about it, but that is what he said.

Comment

For golf carts

Comment

Working...
                            X