Where to get tamales made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matchejm View Post
    Thanks, Have you tried deer and hog there? We like the wild hog better than the deer at Flemming. Do the vacuum pack them there?
    I dropped a hog off last year they were very good! They came foil wrapped.

Comment

Prasek's in Sealy makes some fine ones.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Granny's is the best place to get them. There's not a close 2nd.
        Agreed. Haven't had them in a while, but they are excellent!

Midway in Katy does them as well, and I have been pleased with them.
        Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Glad to see they're still making them. Been there for a long time and are really good.

I bought the stuff to do my own....just haven't made the time (or built up the nerve) to make them yet!
          Jennie went into a local Mexican Meat Market and asked the gentlemen for help finding all the ingredients to make tamales. He showed her back the display where they had premade tamales. She told him that she wanted to make them at home and needed help and ingredients to do so. He again told her, "No, just buy them already made." Well, now her dander was up and she, in not so nice a way, told him that she was gonna make them herself and need what she'd asked for. His reply, "Ma'am, tamales is too much work for a white woman".

She bought the available ready to eat tamales.

Granny's tamales in Humble is some of the best I've ever had and I'm a tamale snob.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Jennie went into a local Mexican Meat Market and asked the gentlemen for help finding all the ingredients to make tamales. He showed her back the display where they had premade tamales. She told him that she wanted to make them at home and needed help and ingredients to do so. He again told her, "No, just buy them already made." Well, now her dander was up and she, in not so nice a way, told him that she was gonna make them herself and need what she'd asked for. His reply, "Ma'am, tamales is too much work for a white woman".

Granny's tamales in Humble is some of the best I've ever had and I'm a tamale snob.
            that reminds me a few years back wife and I were at El Milagro Tortileria on east 7th and there was a couple (white woman and coconut husband (brown on the outside and white on the inside)) trying to buy all of the stuff for tamales and asking people in line how to make it tamales. Some people helped and we laughed. The coconut guy even asked where to get a goat's head.

It was a disaster that was gonna happen at their home.

It takes a lot of time and practice.

We are making our first batch the first weekend after Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by matchejm View Post
              Thanks, Have you tried deer and hog there? We like the wild hog better than the deer at Flemming. Do the vacuum pack them there?
              sorry, I just saw your question... No mine have never been vacuum sealed. Almost always when I picked mine up, they were still hot and rolled a dozen in a pack in foil. I take 'em home and after they've cooled down, I vacuum seal them still in the foil. I have learned that you can just take the tamales out of the freezer and drop them in boiling water for about 30 minutes and they come out perfect every time just like fresh made tamales. (by the way, I do the same with boudin too... vacuum sealed, freezer to boiling, to plate in less than 30 minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

Curt, many years ago, my bother and I and our wives got the same "bright idea"... I don't care if the cost was $30/dozen, it's better than makin' 'em yourself!! We got it done and they were very good, but DANG, never again!! Further, by the time we got done (took us 2 solid days), none of us wanted anything to do with a tamale for 6 months!!

Comment

Watching this one

Comment

Any good places up around DFW Area?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Granny's is the best place to get them. There's not a close 2nd.
                      Another vote for Granny's! There jalapeno/cream cheese is the best!

Comment

I bought the stuff to do my own....just haven't made the time (or built up the nerve) to make them yet!
                        Us too and we made some and that won't happen again LOL! It's a lot of work and my tamales didn't look anything like what a tamale is supposed to look like.

They looked more like a long and flat Fig Newton.

I'll continue to buy mine from the nice Mexican woman who works for me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          sorry, I just saw your question... No mine have never been vacuum sealed. Almost always when I picked mine up, they were still hot and rolled a dozen in a pack in foil. I take 'em home and after they've cooled down, I vacuum seal them still in the foil. I have learned that you can just take the tamales out of the freezer and drop them in boiling water for about 30 minutes and they come out perfect every time just like fresh made tamales. (by the way, I do the same with boudin too... vacuum sealed, freezer to boiling, to plate in less than 30 minutes...
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Curt, many years ago, my bother and I and our wives got the same "bright idea"... I don't care if the cost was $30/dozen, it's better than makin' 'em yourself!! We got it done and they were very good, but DANG, never again!! Further, by the time we got done (took us 2 solid days), none of us wanted anything to do with a tamale for 6 months!!

We tried it ONE time too! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by LROSE View Post
                              Any good places up around DFW Area?
                              From Waxahachie myself so I'm wanting to know as well. Seems like Hunter's Choice in Sanger is the closest one on the list for us so far here.

Comment

Originally posted by Treehunter View Post
                                From Waxahachie myself so I'm wanting to know as well. Seems like Hunter's Choice in Sanger is the closest one on the list for us so far here.

We need to find a place to get a few dozen and have a arrow slinging session in Hachie !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X