No announcement yet.

Low down on elk on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first year (2016) everyone backed out last min. on me so I went alone to Colorado OTC archery. spent 5 days hiking around got with 100yds of couple cows one day and two nice bulls the next day. but could not get a shot. think I came in right at 1000 dollars (not counting gear I bought ahead of time)
    second year (2017) 4 of us went spent 9 days up there, we all got with in 100yds of elk, I almost shot one the first day we was there but could not get a good shot. me and buddy split cost of gas and we spent more on food. and think I was still at 1200-1300.
    I don't count price of gear that I can reuse. but GOOD BOOTS, and good back pack at least. and GPS. I averaged 10-15 miles walking a day.

Comment

Originally posted by danbow View Post
      I’ll be heading to pagosa springs this opening season for otc.
      So far going solo.
      You are a brave man sir

Comment

I’m 62 and go every year the last week of archery season. It takes a while to figure out where the elk are but after you locate them then hunt them, don’t rush things and scare them off. I haven’t missed a year for as long as I can remember. Just remember just because they were in a certain area last year doesn’t mean they will be there next year. Good luck and enjoy the mountains, September is a great time to be there.

Comment

First
          You absolutely do not need to buy a bunch of high end stuff.
          Second, the terrain will take your breath away but if you take your time anything is possible.
          Third
          It's worth the money just making the trip, killing is simply a bonus

Comment

Good thread. At 44 I’m going for the first time this year. Already training for it and feeling great. Target is CO unit 55 archery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Me and 3 friends go archery every year. My father is almost 60 and can still get after it gun hunting. Last year between 3 of us it cost each of us a total of $862.00 each. That’s tag, groceries, diesel, .. everything. You can get into the toughest terrain there is or pack in on the easiest elevated trail .. Colorado gives you those options. There are people who pack in 10 miles and get it done but sometimes you can hammer one a mile from camp. One thing is for sure start working out, it can be light stuff then slowly increase weight on your pack , increase your cardio workout .. etc. up until your trip . It is addicting for sure , and it’s very hard to just go once, I will continue until I cannot physically do it anymore. Hell I was practicing bugling today in my office and we’re 7 months away still.

Comment

I will be 55 this year and I have been bow hunting Elk for 20 years and I dont plan on stopping anytime soon. I would put in for NM draw, its a lot easier to hunt and bigger elk. I like unit 16a, 16d, and 15. Unit 12 and 10 are not as good but easier to draw. Good Luck

Comment

Horses are the only way I'll do it at 42 or 62. Packing elk out 5 miles ain't for sissies.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
                    If anyone does a backpack hunt for under $1000, please share how.

Tag: 650
                    Fuel: 300-400 (more if hauling trailer)
                    Pack: 300-600 depending on the quality you're looking for.
                    Boots: 150-300 (don't skimp)
                    Tent: 150-300+
                    Plus all the extras that add up.

Now if you have some of that stuff then obviously that helps. And every trip after the first one can probably be done for $1000-1100 if you don't buy anything else. Truck hunting would significantly reduce cost. But the first trip for backpack hunting isn't cheap. You don't have to buy all the fancy gear either, but I'm definitely taking some different clothes this year. It's a different animal than treestand hunting.

I agree that being in shape comes in handy most when packing meat, we spent 17 hours last year. But even just walking up a small hill at 10k had me sucking wind lol. There were a couple times we jogged up and over ridges chasing elk. It'll take some pounds off by the end of the week.

Last thing... take some good rain gear. Nothing worse than getting soaked by one of those rain storms that come thru everyday.
                    I agree 100% Been there and done that! For you boys that do it for less than a grand you must be on the Dave Ramsey plan on steroids

Comment

The $862 did not count our boots, packs, cots, etc. we have acquired those over the years.

Comment

Low down on elk on public land

The initial buy-in is not fun but I’ve taken advantage of clearance sales since right after Christmas. Have a top-end pack, nice camo set, ultra lite hammock, good boots and am probably already $600 in with lots left to get. Still need binos, trecking poles, camp stove, first aid, meat bags, GPS. [emoji849]

Comment

I went to Wyoming a few years ago. I haven't hunted Colorado otc but it may be worth it to get a point or two and go to Wyoming general units. You should have the opportunity at a decent bull, 280-320. I've researched Colorado otc it doesn't look overly promising, especially if you can't get into really rough terrain. The terrain in our unit wasn't too rough, but you'll need horses or help to get one out.

Comment

I have been doing DIY CO bow elk since 98. My back has gradually gotten worse. I will not go without my pack mule. She is a beast packing camp in and elk out. You can run in to problems trying to rent them there so take one if you can. This pic is after she packed 2 elk out and this is camp. Good luck.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It can be done for a grand but that is if you have all the gear ready to go and there’s more than one of you in the truck. Keep your expectations low for a kill and get out there for the experience and adventure.

-------------------------------
                              Violence never settles anything
                              -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                                The initial buy-in is not fun but I’ve taken advantage of clearance sales since right after Christmas. Have a top-end pack, nice camo set, ultra lite hammock, good boots and am probably already $600 in with lots left to get. Still need binos, trecking poles, camp stove, first aid, meat bags, GPS. [emoji849]

Skip the GPS. Buy a onxhunt membership and download the maps and app. That’s all I used in New Mexico this last year. No need for service or anything gps still works.

Comment

Working...
                                X