DIY Waterfowl Taxidermy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Waterfowl Taxidermy?

I decided to try to expand my taxidermy abilities and I am going to try a snow goose for my first mount. I’ve been doing some research and have a general idea of what’s going on but does anyone have any input?

Any links or instruction services y’all can throw my way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube

Comment

As said above, youtube. plus www.taxidery.net. There is a forum on bird mounting. Also there are several dvd's out there via the taxidermy supply companies. Your hardest part will be getting the fat off the skin side of the goose, degreasing(lots of different methods, I prefer white gas, but highly flammable) and tumbling. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
        As said above, youtube. plus www.taxidery.net. There is a forum on bird mounting. Also there are several dvd's out there via the taxidermy supply companies. Your hardest part will be getting the fat off the skin side of the goose, degreasing(lots of different methods, I prefer white gas, but highly flammable) and tumbling. Good luck.

Yes I’ve seen people use different methods to remove fat. I’m trying to decide if it would be quicker to use small curved scissors to pick off the excess meat/fat or just degreaser

Comment

Do you have a bird flesher and a tumbler?
          If not, I'd make those investments before you get started.

Comment

Originally posted by TyGSmith View Post
            Yes I’ve seen people use different methods to remove fat. I’m trying to decide if it would be quicker to use small curved scissors to pick off the excess meat/fat or just degreaser

"Or just degreaser"....... will NOT work!. The fat has to be removed. Yes, those little curved scissors will work but you will have to be very meticulous and patient.....and sew up a few holes!
            I built a box that holds a motor that spins a wire wheel and I would recommend that you do the same, or purchase one, if you plan on mounting more than a bird or two.
            I just added a bigger motor to mine since I have four turkey to mount. After the last two I did I had to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
              "Or just degreaser"....... will NOT work!. The fat has to be removed. Yes, those little curved scissors will work but you will have to be very meticulous and patient.....and sew up a few holes!
              I built a box that holds a motor that spins a wire wheel and I would recommend that you do the same, or purchase one, if you plan on mounting more than a bird or two.
              I just added a bigger motor to mine since I have four turkey to mount. After the last two I did I had to do something.
              Yes, starting out on a Ross Goose was not the best idea because they are caked in fat. After 10 tedious hours with scissors, I realized it is pointless unless you have a wire wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by TyGSmith View Post
                Yes, starting out on a Ross Goose was not the best idea because they are caked in fat. After 10 tedious hours with scissors, I realized it is pointless unless you have a wire wheel.
                Live and learn 😀. Don’t give up keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                  Live and learn 😀. Don’t give up keep at it.
                  That's the plan! I have a pretty pintail in the freezer that's calling my name but I am going to save up to get a flesher first

Comment

Well let me start with I started doing bird taxidermy long before there was internet and you tube. Sure wish I had that back then. If this is your first bird mount I would suggest maybe starting with something smaller like a wood duck or Teal. One they are easier to work with and those white feathers can be very difficult to get the fat stains or blood stains out of. I tried removing the fat with different methods but save yourself some time and get a wire wheel. I think I bought mine from Van Dykes. It takes some time to get the hang of it and you will burn some holes in the skin but it will be much cleaner and easier to get clean. Plus you can use it to remove meat from the skull and leg and wing bones. I would then soak it Dawn dish soap and water. Then in coleman fuel and then use furriers saw dust and dry preservative to start the drying process. At this point you will take it out and go-holy S**T there is no way I can make this thing look like it was. But you can! I used a hair dryer, some folks use compressed air. If you use a hair dryer just take care to not get the skin to hot. At this point you become more like a hair stylist. you will be amazed. It has been along time since I did any bird work and the taxidermy field has changed tremendously but I ran into some folks recently that said my mounts still looked as good today as when i did them some 20 years ago. If you can find a copy of Prairie Wings buy it and study it. A lot of hunters and Taxidermist don't know what a bird in flight looks like-you have to study that and that is what will help you become not just someone who mounts birds but an artist in his field. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by 250AI View Post
                      Well let me start with I started doing bird taxidermy long before there was internet and you tube. Sure wish I had that back then. If this is your first bird mount I would suggest maybe starting with something smaller like a wood duck or Teal. One they are easier to work with and those white feathers can be very difficult to get the fat stains or blood stains out of. I tried removing the fat with different methods but save yourself some time and get a wire wheel. I think I bought mine from Van Dykes. It takes some time to get the hang of it and you will burn some holes in the skin but it will be much cleaner and easier to get clean. Plus you can use it to remove meat from the skull and leg and wing bones. I would then soak it Dawn dish soap and water. Then in coleman fuel and then use furriers saw dust and dry preservative to start the drying process. At this point you will take it out and go-holy S**T there is no way I can make this thing look like it was. But you can! I used a hair dryer, some folks use compressed air. If you use a hair dryer just take care to not get the skin to hot. At this point you become more like a hair stylist. you will be amazed. It has been along time since I did any bird work and the taxidermy field has changed tremendously but I ran into some folks recently that said my mounts still looked as good today as when i did them some 20 years ago. If you can find a copy of Prairie Wings buy it and study it. A lot of hunters and Taxidermist don't know what a bird in flight looks like-you have to study that and that is what will help you become not just someone who mounts birds but an artist in his field. Hope this helps
                      That helps a lot, I appreciate it! I plan to have a wire wheel, tumbler, and any other supplies before I try my next bird. Ive done countless European Mounts for people but I would like to keep doing waterfowl as well

Comment

If you want a bull spoony to practice on I got one in the freezer I can send you. I actually may have one of those wire brush wheels that I used for a little bit when I tried to do birds myself. I will have to make sure the brush works but I can hook you up if it does.

Comment

FYI the Texas Taxidermy Association annual convention starts next week. http://www.ttai.onefireplace.org/MemberApp. There will be seminars on bird mounting. Well worth attending if you can make it.http://texastaxidermyassociationinc....n-Schedule.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                            FYI the Texas Taxidermy Association annual convention starts next week. http://www.ttai.onefireplace.org/MemberApp. There will be seminars on bird mounting. Well worth attending if you can make it.http://texastaxidermyassociationinc....n-Schedule.pdf
                            This^^^^and you are just right down the road... Some of the best bird taxidermist in the Nation will be there and they will answer any question you ask.. If you are serious about learning or improving in any aspect of taxidermy then this an event you do not want to miss.. We have competitors coming in from 6 different states, last I heard.. I personally know some of these guys and gals and none are better..
                            Word is that this will be our largest show ever and we were already as big as Nationals.. It's going to be good..
                            Last edited by PondPopper; 06-13-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                              If you want a bull spoony to practice on I got one in the freezer I can send you. I actually may have one of those wire brush wheels that I used for a little bit when I tried to do birds myself. I will have to make sure the brush works but I can hook you up if it does.
                              Well I wouldn't want to take anything that you would possibly use but if you don't have any use for it, I would be glad to give it a shot! I really appreciate that

Comment

Working...
                              X