Kamado Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Brisket Question

Okay so I'm pretty new to Kamado cooking and I did a brisket yesterday.

It was about 10 lbs after a close trim. Fat side down. No drip try. Never turned it.

I had the Vision Kamado regulated to about 250 avg. cooking with natural lump and a chunk of mesquite for flavor and the smoking deflector stone in place.

I used a remote probe thermometer set to alarm at 190 degrees.

It hit 199 (I didn't hear it going off at 190) in only 4 hours. I completely shut off the vents to let it begin to cool and rest the meat. Two hours later the internal temp was back down to 190 degrees. I never wrapped it.

Observations:
    That's way too fast.
    It was very good!
    It wasn't dry like it had cooked too hot.

Question:
    Did I just get lucky or this common for Kamado style brisket cooking.

Following....

Comment

I'm in to see what kind of responses you get...

I always cook by temperature and disregard time. I've found that cook time can vary drastically between pieces of meat, even if they're the same cut and size.

Side note: Did you rest the brisket on the pit?

Comment

If it turned out great get another brisket and try again. If it turns out great, you have the right method for you. If you need someone to test the brisket, I'm here for you.

Comment

My egg cooks them faster than a regular pit also, only negative is you dont get time to build up a nice bark.

Comment

I cook my competition briskets at 300 and they typically finish in just under 4 hours. They range from 208-212 when I pull them. Always moist, perfect smoke ring, and perfectly tender. If you can cook a brisket in 4 hours that is on the money every time, why go back to waiting around alllllll day and night on one? Sounds like you may have actually been hotter than the 250 you thought you were cooking at. If its not broke, don't fix it! lol

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              I cook my competition briskets at 300 and they typically finish in just under 4 hours. They range from 208-212 when I pull them. Always moist, perfect smoke ring, and perfectly tender. If you can cook a brisket in 4 hours that is on the money every time, why go back to waiting around alllllll day and night on one? Sounds like you may have actually been hotter than the 250 you thought you were cooking at. If its not broke, don't fix it! lol
              x 2 .... listen to the Pit Master

Comment

Thanks.

Quote: "Side note: Did you rest the brisket on the pit?"

Yes just left it where it was and closed off the vents.

Quote: "Sounds like you may have actually been hotter than the 250 you thought you were cooking at."

My suspicion is the built in temperature gauge is inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  Thanks.

Quote: "Side note: Did you rest the brisket on the pit?"

Yes just left it where it was and closed off the vents.

Quote: "Sounds like you may have actually been hotter than the 250 you thought you were cooking at."

My suspicion is the built in temperature gauge is inaccurate.

I never trust the built in gauge

I use the Maverick ET732 and run dual gauges ... 1 for the food and the other inside pit to monitor temps

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8w4o2bi3j2_b

Comment

What temp do you wrap at? And do you do foil or butcher paper?

Comment

Sounds like it came out good like that and didnt have to wait all day.

I have the same grill and cooked my first brisket this weekend, just the flat side. Grill temp stayed a bit under 225 the whole time (bottom vent at 1 and top vent barely cracked) and never opened the grill until I pulled the brisket at internal temp of 191 over 10 hours later. What were your settings? Your temp smoker temp gauge might be off. Was probably the best brisket I have had, moist and tender. Even neighbor, wife and kid thought so.....unless they were just being nice. But the way that thing disappeared I dont think that was the case.

Last edited by rjet; 05-31-2016, 03:40 PM. Reason: Add pic

Comment

I have been recently converted to the hot and fast method, I find it to come out much juicier and the flavor, bark and smoke are the same as the low and slow.

Comment

As others have suggested, check the calibration of the built in thermometer. They've been known to be waaaay off.

Also, was the brisket room temperature when you put it on? If so, that could have cut hours off the cook time.

LWD

Comment

Can this fast method be done on a MES?

Comment

Originally posted by Icedown12pk View Post
                              What temp do you wrap at? And do you do foil or butcher paper?
                              I wrap at 165 and I use foil.

Comment

Working...
                              X