No announcement yet.

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was a two a day'er on my 3 mile hike as we speak. Did the gym workout this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crossfit 4-5 days a week with mixed in runs, hill sprints and weighted hikes is my ticket. From this time last year I'll down from 210 to 186. But that's a huge drop in body fat and gain in muscle. I've lost around 8" of belly fat alone. I've always been able to get up the mountain chasing elk fine, now I'll be able to get down them easier.... excited to be shedding the dad bod!

Comment

I may or may not be eating blue bell ice cream right now [emoji854]

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

After walking 10 miles throughout the day plus the 50+ flight of stairs. My wife pointed out that it was hike with a geek day... well, we dropped of our son at a Pizza party and I rucked 4 miles with her along the Woodlands waterway. Afterwards, I was ready for a chickfila kiddy cone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            After walking 10 miles throughout the day plus the 50+ flight of stairs. My wife pointed out that it was hike with a geek day... well, we dropped of our son at a Pizza party and I rucked 4 miles with her along the Woodlands waterway. Afterwards, I was ready for a chickfila kiddy cone.

Ice cream would be great but might blow my diet for good. I did take a GU gel before playing about two hours of basketball yesterday. I had a lot more energy as compared to the last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              Ice cream would be great but might blow my diet for good. I did take a GU gel before playing about two hours of basketball yesterday. I had a lot more energy as compared to the last few weeks.
              Keto is for low and slow in my experience.

Comment

Following along. I've started stepping up, no pun intended, for a hunt in September.
                I am n decent shape but it won't hurt to push myself a little.

Comment

Keto is for low and slow in my experience.

I hear you and hope I understand/learn what my body needs. I just like some all out competition like basketball which I can't seem to keep enough energy for on the Keto eating style. After the GU, I felt good through out the two hours and feel no ill effects from the cards this morning. I am 12 pounds from my target weight and hoping to experiment a bit with selectively introducing some cards once I get there. I will see how it goes.

Comment

I've been doing lots of 12oz curls in the river, that's about it

Comment

I am always in shape and train year around. My elk hunts start at around 11.5k and we go up to around 12.5k. Unless you can go up 6 weeks early and run and bike your never going to be in mountain shape. All I can say is to be strong and fit so your less likely to injury yourself. Also I have never been on a easy bow elk hunt. We are always on the move to try and ambush the herd. Its hard hunting.

Comment

I hear you and hope I understand/learn what my body needs. I just like some all out competition like basketball which I can't seem to keep enough energy for on the Keto eating style. After the GU, I felt good through out the two hours and feel no ill effects from the cards this morning. I am 12 pounds from my target weight and hoping to experiment a bit with selectively introducing some cards once I get there. I will see how it goes.
                        I have posted some "keto cautionary stuff" on that keto thread. I'm not a big fan of cutting out a whole dietary source. Whether it be cutting all fat, all carbs, all this, or all that. I have lost and gained weight over the past 20 years. I know how to lose weight (just requires commitment) and I know why I gained weight back in certain cases (had little to do with what I ate.)

I have lost 45+ pounds this year by increasing my activity (mainly walking at first) and then cutting intake. When you cut intake, you absolutely start to listen to your body. You realize what is important and when. Protein, carbs, fiber, and fat are all important. They all play a very important role in your life, especially if you plan on being active (which is a side effect of dropping weight, you have more energy and usually become more active as you drop.)

Because you want to stay in a deficit so weight will drop, and if you are smart about it and start doing strength training to keep critical muscle intact, then you begin to focus on what foods are going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. You cut the candy just because it doesn't do for you what you need it too. But certain carbs are good. There are always better fats and proteins than others. You get the idea.

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                        I am always in shape and train year around. My elk hunts start at around 11.5k and we go up to around 12.5k. Unless you can go up 6 weeks early and run and bike your never going to be in mountain shape. All I can say is to be strong and fit so your less likely to injury yourself. Also I have never been on a easy bow elk hunt. We are always on the move to try and ambush the herd. Its hard hunting.
                        I am personally just trying to get back into that "always in good shape for anything mode". I mention that the key for anything like this is having a solid base for the activity you want to do. I've always thought that jogging and/or walking are just good activities to help you maintain a base for whatever life may throw at you. Out of gas and the next gas station is 4 miles away... well I can tell you that I can without a doubt walk 8 miles and I can carry 2 gallons of gas (16lbs) in my hands for 4 miles. I know sounds silly, but it is stuff like that I believe are good reasons to be in good shape. You gotta have a foundation, and I'm pretty sure that is what this thread is about, having a good foundation so you are ready to push through what the mountain will throw at you. I agree, you go in in good shape (hopefully) and come out of it in Mountain Shape.

I once went to colorado springs for a week and rented a bike. I was a pretty decent rider. The mountains kicked my rear, but I survived. I rode up some pretty steep grades that week, acclimated to the altitude, and put in some decent miles. I did alot of walking around the city too, seeing different sites. I was sore at the end of each day. The 2 weeks after that, back in Houston, I was uncatchable within my group of riding friends. I had that mountain fitness and it was awesome. Problem is, it only lasts a week or so, and then bam, it is gone again. It is all about the base (strength AND endurance)

Comment

Just listened to it during my 5 mile lunchtime ruck. Will have to check those chassis integrity workouts out.

Link to the podcast
                          Discover your favorite Podcasts from a variety of categories including Daily News, Music, Business, True Crime, Comedy, Politics and more. Listen to Podcasts on Pandora.

I'm listening now. Just for reference, the specifics on strength, endurance, and mountain shape started at the 40 min mark.

Comment

4 mile run tonight at a medium pace. Legs are feeling it this week

Comment

You try MCT oils? I agree with low & slow with keto, that's the way it always worked for me until I met a guy who did triathlons on keto. He's changed the way I look at it, lot more liberal with fats and such. Anyhow he swears a shot of the MCT oil will give a huge boost before any type of workout. I have a bottle now but off keto for the moment so haven't had a chance to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                You try MCT oils? I agree with low & slow with keto, that's the way it always worked for me until I met a guy who did triathlons on keto. He's changed the way I look at it, lot more liberal with fats and such. Anyhow he swears a shot of the MCT oil will give a huge boost before any type of workout. I have a bottle now but off keto for the moment so haven't had a chance to try it out.
                                Interesting info thanks. I did a search and a quick read on some of the info. I will defenitly be trying this out. Hope I can find a source of it here in Del Rio. I noticed that my hunger sensations go up hours after the carb intake. Not a big deal as after a couple of regular Keto type meals I feel like before the carbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X