No announcement yet.

Average dove shooter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can generally limit with less than two boxes if they are flying good. But I don’t let a bird flying a little farther out pass by without shooting at it like some people do. Shooting clays competitively every week helped me learn my gun.

I shoot Herters 1 1/8 oz 7.5 target load. 1200 fps. No need for that 1350 fps “game” load.

Comment

Average dove shooter.

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
      I have huge ups and downs. I have gotten a limit in a box of shells and then given up after 3 boxes and 5 doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s me ^^^^^^^^!

I would say I avg about 6-8/box of shells. Haven’t dove hunted in a while, so may be worse now???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Bisch; 09-03-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

It doesn’t take very many three shoot missed to drag an average down.

The situation usually dictates my average. A good feeding field with a steady flow of birds usually helps. It’s the slow days with lots of marginal shots that my average plummets.

After a year of watching my son shoot high school clay sports and NSCA events- it’s amazing that once a year guys hit anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For me it depends on the situation (like others have mentioned) and which gun I'm using. If I use dads old pump my average drops. If I use great grandfathers single shot it goes up. The one year I borrowed a semi-auto was just a mass of plastic on the ground with very very very few dove. I'll go to the single shot every time if I can.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            One other variable... I don’t buy cheap shells, and certainly no “light” or game loads. 1 1/8 ox or up, prefer 1 1/4 Oz if I can find them on sale and I noticed my knockdown ration went up when I started shooting 7.5’s instead of 8’s. Maybe it is mental and I focus more shooting more expensive loads, but I think it’s a combination of throwing more mass at them
            Honestly, that shouldn't matter for 90% of your hits amigo...the extra shot can help if your aim is just outside the pattern, but for the most part it isn't going to significantly improve your hit ratio.

I'm shooting a 12ga but use light kicking 7/8oz & 1oz target loads at 1200fps which is very tame. Remember that good target loads use a harder lead that deforms less & pattern is almost always improved. Give this 1oz / 1200fps rounds a try & see how you do.

Comment

I shoot 20 mod/full. And I only take shots where the bird will fall handy.
              No water, not across the fence or in tall brush.
              So my average is swayed.
              Just once or twice a year get out for fun.
              Definitely not as mad at them as some of y’all !

Comment

What time of the day are we talking about?

Early morning before I start drinking, probably 1 box per 5 dove. When i have a few whiskeys I get a whole lot better.

Comment

I usually kill at a 2-1 ratio. 2 doves for every beer consumed while hunting. So I average 6-8 doves at a time. If I haven't killed enough dove then I usually kill more beer out of frustration.

Comment

Best I ever did was 15 birds in 18 shells using a .410 bore o/u. I was walking a red top cane field and jumping them up. Got my limit in 30 minutes... Saturday, I got my 15 birds with 33 shots using my BPS .410. Sunday afternoon, I killed my first bird with shot #16!! Sometimes I'm in and sometimes I'm OFF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                      I have huge ups and downs. I have gotten a limit in a box of shells and then given up after 3 boxes and 5 doves.
                      Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
                      Same here. I went to an over/under two years ago and did much better than usual, no more throw-that-third-shot-at-a-going-away-bird just to see if a magic pellet would bring it down...so my wasted shell total dropped way down.
                      Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      You need change your screen name now!
                      Not changing it...when I duck hunt I still put a 3" HeviShot BB shell in the hole of my semi-auto, there have been times a bird drops from a LONG way out with that one!

Comment

Day 1- 15 whitewings in 37 shells....
                        Day 2- 15 whitewings in 41 shells....

Went through one "how the hell did I miss those cupcakes" streaks of 10-11 shells each day and turned it back on. Of course when 50 whitewings bust over the fence darting and diving its hard to chose just one.. Man I hate those **** miss streaks because bad words fly.... This is why the white doves are God's birds and the gray ones are of the devil..
                        Last edited by Smart; 09-03-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                          I was a decent shot last year. Maybe a bird per 3-4 shells. I have been humbled the last 2 days.
                          Same I was on fire last year, can't hit **** this year

Comment

I can honestly say that since taking up sporting clays late last year, my dove to shell ratio has improved drastically. Last year before taking up sporting clays I averaged 1 bird for every 4 to 5 shells(20 to 25% kill ratio). This year I'm at 1 bird for every 1.3 shells( 70+% kill ratio). Sporting clays has made a huge difference in my wing shooting, but YMMV.

Comment

I don't have a clue. I usually buy a case or two and open them up on the tailgate. Between my cousins and kids, no telling how many fingers grab a box or two instead of walking to their truck. Honestly dont think I will ever count my shells. Kinda funny to me actually. Might of done it while on a hot streak and bs with the family but don't recall counting my casings

Comment

Average dove shooter.

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                                Honestly dont think I will ever count my shells. Kinda funny to me actually. Might of done it while on a hot streak and bs with the family but don't recall counting my casings [emoji3]

It’s not tough or rocket science. You don’t need to count the empty casings. Put two boxes in. Count what you have left over after a limit. Subtract from 50...voila!![emoji23]

For you 3 box shooters -75
                                4 box -100[emoji41]

Comment

Working...
                                X