Cowboy cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy cooking

So since I read the coffee thread, and someone added the video of Kent Rollins the cowboy cooker, making coffee it got me thinking about my camping cookware.

I have some items but want to have a full campfire kitchen.

Anyone else into this? Post up some pics !

By the way, his cowboy coffee is some good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've started making cobblers in a 10" dutch oven on my fire pit for special occasions and they're always a big hit with guests and family alike... I bought me a big ol 14" deep Dutch oven yesterday and a 5 rib roast from the HEB sale... gonna do it on the fire pit this weekend...

If you want to really get some great ideas, just get on you tube and search Dutch oven cooking...

Comment

Grady Spears and June Naylor have written a couple of cookbooks. "The Texas Cowboy Kitchen" is a good one. "The Texas Cowboy Cookbook" by Robb Walsh is a good one too. These are not only cookbooks but full of history and pics.

Comment

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently acquired a couple of pieces of cast iron that's pretty dirty and rusty. Has anyone ever tried to polish the inside of any of your cookware? Seen some company that does that, but no way I am spending $200+ for a cast iron skillet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
            I recently acquired a couple of pieces of cast iron that's pretty dirty and rusty. Has anyone ever tried to polish the inside of any of your cookware? Seen some company that does that, but no way I am spending $200+ for a cast iron skillet.
            Some good you tube videos on how to do it... If it's just rusty with no cracks/warps, they should clean up and cook like brand new.

Comment

I've started cooking this way and it is fun. A bit time costuming though. My two teenage boys have started doing it as well.

Comment

Get a wire wheel for a grinder, polish it up and reseason. It works like a charm. I have one I cook with nearly daily that was used as an ash tray for 10+ years

Comment

I have been looking at getting a full set up since my fiance and I currently live in a travel trailer while our house is getting remodeled. I enjoy cooking over a fire and think it would be a good way to make meals.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnysquidTX View Post
                    Grady Spears and June Naylor have written a couple of cookbooks. "The Texas Cowboy Kitchen" is a good one. "The Texas Cowboy Cookbook" by Robb Walsh is a good one too. These are not only cookbooks but full of history and pics.

That's a name that hasn't come to mind in years. I worked with him in the kitchen at the Reata in Alpine years and years ago. Man that guy sure knows his way around food.

God bless and happy hunting.
                    Richard.

Comment

I'm a fan of cowboy camp cooking.

For drummets we sometimes burn 'em on the grill and then sauce 'em up in the cowboy woks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10786781194_7894dd10d1_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	24522965

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        I've started making cobblers in a 10" dutch oven on my fire pit for special occasions and they're always a big hit with guests and family alike... I bought me a big ol 14" deep Dutch oven yesterday and a 5 rib roast from the HEB sale... gonna do it on the fire pit this weekend...

If you want to really get some great ideas, just get on you tube and search Dutch oven cooking...
                        And there gos hrs of your life lol.
                        Good stuff though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinnysquidTX View Post

I'm having lunch at Grady's place in fort worth for our office Christmas party today! That guy can cook!!

Comment

Go to Youtube and watch Kent Rollins videos. He'll tell you all you want to know about cast iron cooking gear lol.

I really enjoy his videos and recipes.

Comment

I recently acquired a couple of pieces of cast iron that's pretty dirty and rusty. Has anyone ever tried to polish the inside of any of your cookware?
                              No need to polish, just clean it really well and re-season it, and it will last generations. As the others have suggested, go to Youtube, and search.

Comment

Working...
                              X