Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    Messing around in QL this morning... Powder / Max safe load / Expected MV

CFE223 30.4 2479
    IMR8208XBR 27.3 2417
    AR Comp 26.8 2472
    A2520 29 2453
    TAC 29.3 2402

I know CFE223 was delisted and folks say it spikes, but it seems to hit a sweet spot on full burn / uses up case capacity / good MV.

Disclaimer: *Do not try these at home, always reload to official specs. These are derived numbers from a computer program, not recommended or tested recipes*
    Could you please run QL with Benchmark and 120gr SMK?

My load with CFE223 is 31.2 and many are using it safely to higher than that. (some have even pressure tested it with a pressure barrel).

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
      Could you please run QL with Benchmark and 120gr SMK?

My load with CFE223 is 31.2 and many are using it safely to higher than that. (some have even pressure tested it with a pressure barrel).
      Will do! It may take me a day though.

Comment

Will do! It may take me a day though.
        That is fine, I appreciate it. I have found max numbers from 27gr to 28.8 gr.

I am looking to try benchmark for temp stability over CFE223, even though I am getting great groups and good velocity with it.

Comment

Going to work on a load using H335 this weekend if my SMK and NBT's come in on saturday like they are supposed to.
          If it doesn't work well then I might get some CFE223.

Comment

Worked up a load with AR Comp and 123ssts. Only about 2420 but my SD is 4.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
              Has anyone tried H335 powder?
              I’m about to start reloading for my grendel and this is the powder I plan on using. I think I’m going to try a 100gr nosler accubond bullet and work up from there.

Comment

I’m about to start this as well. I sure hope I can get a load that works better than the factory Hornady Black. It was a 4-5” @100 yards rounds. And it really didn’t like my can. Not a can problem, as the same can shoots 1/2 moa in my creed.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                  I’m about to start this as well. I sure hope I can get a load that works better than the factory Hornady Black. It was a 4-5” @100 yards rounds. And it really didn’t like my can. Not a can problem, as the same can shoots 1/2 moa in my creed.
                  4-5 MOA in a Gren at 100 is usually an issue with the gun.

Who built it?

Comment

H335 27.5 2429
                    Benchmark 26.4 2376 (for apples to apples with 120 ttsx like the others)

Benchmark with 120 smk 27.5 2412
                    For reference, cfe223 with 120 smk 31.6 2512 max

The seating depth of the two bullets is a little more than 0.1 inch different, which explains the difference.

Again, theoretical loads for entertainment purposes, don’t try this at home.

Comment

H335 27.5 2429
                      Benchmark 26.4 2376 (for apples to apples with 120 ttsx like the others)

Benchmark with 120 smk 27.5 2412
                      For reference, cfe223 with 120 smk 31.6 2512 max

The seating depth of the two bullets is a little more than 0.1 inch different, which explains the difference.

Again, theoretical loads for entertainment purposes, don’t try this at home.
                      Thanks I was going to top out at 27.5 and you confirmed it. Still going to shoot a safety ladder. I will post what I get.

Benchmark is not as forgiving as CFE. It tends to go BOOM (breaking bolts) with no pressure signs on the brass in the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        4-5 MOA in a Gren at 100 is usually an issue with the gun.

Who built it?
                        I did. Not my first one. Never had any issue in the past but I’m about to tear into it.

Comment

I did. Not my first one. Never had any issue in the past but I’m about to tear into it.
                          What barrel?
                          Did you bed the barrel and gas block?
                          Everything torqued to spec?

Comment

Bear Creek Arsenal barrel from Primary Arms. I did not bed it. Never been necessary before. How are you doing that?

Comment

Bear Creek Arsenal barrel from Primary Arms. I did not bed it. Never been necessary before. How are you doing that?
                              I need to edit the video I recorded to show how. I use loctite 620. Degrease (denatured alcohol) then put on the barrel extension and the receiver and the excess will squeeze out. Clean up any that comes out. I do this on every barrel and gas block. It adds about $2 to the cost and 10 min to the build. No down side and massive upside. I also do the gas block. Even my match grade $600 barrels get this treatment.

Once it sets you can take off the barrel nut and the barrel will not move without a heat gun. Not even a 1/64 of an inch on a 20" barrel.

BCA barrels are known for accuracy issues with some of the barrels. It seems 25% are horrible, 50% are acceptable, and 25% are good.

Comment

I’ll second some of the horror stories from BCA. Not all bad but many seem to be. It seems if the Hornady Black ammo doesn’t shoot there is something else wrong as stated before.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                                X