No announcement yet.

Project: Growing Chestnuts - better than acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is one of the coolests threads ive seen.

Comment

Is there an advantage to persimon vs chesutt?

Comment

Originally posted by SurroundedbyAGs View Post
        Is there an advantage to persimon vs chesutt?
        I don't think that one has an advantage over the other.....the more variety you can provide for different times of the year the better. Deer love them both.

Chestnuts are early droppers and persimmons usually don't get ripe until after a frost.

Comment

How about an update in pics and progress

Comment

Well I have had some attrition due to neglect (busy at work) and I need to transfer some trees still in the root-maker cells to bigger pots. I've learned that transferring the trees from inside to outside successfully takes some time and effort. Easing them into sunlight takes about 2 weeks. I tried to do some within a week....and those lost their leaves...they are still alive and will grow them back but that takes energy away from growing the plant taller. Slower is better to get them used to direct sunlight.

They don't like alot of water either.....they do better when they don't have wet feet! This should bode well when I transplant them to my farm this fall.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. I also started some sawtooth oaks and they are doing great!

Comment

Subscribed.

This thread couldn't have turned up at a better time. Thanks!

Comment

Pics of some of the good ones that I have been babying....
                Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368974105824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24200436

These are some that got too much sun too fast.....they will lose their leaves but will grow back.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368974165562.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	24200437

Assorted mix of chestnuts and sawtooths.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368974249037.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	24200438

I'm gonna wait to plant everything this fall.
                Last edited by unclefish; 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Oh another mistake I made was I got some lime on a few chestnut trees by mistake. They are doing very poorly. Chestnuts require and love acidic soil.

Comment

How resistan are these trees to a hard freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
                      How resistan are these trees to a hard freeze.
                      They are fine with freezes once established. They will drop leaves and go dormant in the fall.

Comment

Thanks!!great info here.

Comment

thats awesome man! me and my wife are fixing to purchase some land and one of the first things I am going to do is start planting trees. Where are some good places to buy started trees?

Comment

nativnurseries.com has a good selection and i have read good things from guys that have bought form them. i plan on buying some fruit trees from them in the fall.

Comment

thanks man. I was looking online and saw that the realtree nursery ships dunstons to some walmarts.It looked like it was mainly up north but has anybody seen any down here?

Comment

They had some Dunstan's in the Beaumont area but they are probably long gone.
                                Nativ Nurseries has good stuff.....really great root systems.

Comment

Working...
                                X