Tack Driving AR...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
    I may get blasted for this... but I’ve seen some RRA shoot just as good and better than larues in 223 and 308.

Not saying there better quality but RRA generally are tack drivers. Of course the right loads help a lot.
    My RRA coyote special shoots better than I can with Hornady 55gr vmax. It’s my go to if critters need killing.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
      My RRA coyote special shoots better than I can with Hornady 55gr vmax. It’s my go to if critters need killing.
      Yep I have a coyote and a predator pursuit in 223 and a bull barrel 308. All shoot sub moa. If I had the time I know I could build up a load that’s better. I know the 55gr Hornady vmaxs in my coyote shoot 1/2 moa. Haven’t messed with the preadotor much. The 308 I have a hand load for that I haven’t finalized and it’s in the 1/2 moa range. I didn’t mess with that load because it’s the same one I shoot in my bolt gun.

Comment

I would suggest trying to find a used les baer 6x45 .

Comment

Yep I have a coyote and a predator pursuit in 223 and a bull barrel 308. All shoot sub moa. If I had the time I know I could build up a load that’s better. I know the 55gr Hornady vmaxs in my coyote shoot 1/2 moa. Haven’t messed with the preadotor much. The 308 I have a hand load for that I haven’t finalized and it’s in the 1/2 moa range. I didn’t mess with that load because it’s the same one I shoot in my bolt gun.
          I say that to say you don’t have to break the bank to get a decent shooting rifle.

Comment

I've built 2 Ar's that will hold less than 1/2" all day IF I do my part. 1st 223 Wylde 20" varmint barrel from Rock River. This thing shoots everything I put through it well.

2nd 6.5 Grendel. 24" Krieger heavy barrel. Very picky. Won't shoot any factory ammo worth crap but will put 123gr ELD with 29gr CFE223 under 1/2".

Comment

I say that to say you don’t have to break the bank to get a decent shooting rifle.
              Yep, course mine wasn’t an $800 AR but it definitely fits. In he OP budget with a lot of room left.

I don’t remember who it was on here but back in the days of the AR debates, someone told me my RRA was a bottom level gun that I spent way too much on and their baseline Colt you could buy at walmart was far superior.

Comment

Heck, Ive got a cheap DPMS the shoots moa and an Alexander Arms Grendel that does the same.

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
                  I feel like you’re going to have a hard time getting that little extra accuracy from an auto loader. You can find someone with a sub MOA ar15, build yours the same, and not get the same accuracy. Under MOA is just getting lucky.

A match grade barrel with a properly head spaced matching bolt would be a good start. But the results still won’t be “guaranteed”.

The 223wylde chamber is supposed to be more accurate. Grendels seem to always perform, even the cheap ones. Ar15performance.com supposedly puts out some accurate stuff, but I have no personal experience.
                  This has been my experience too. ARs are not bolt guns. My most accurate semi-auto is a $500 Palmetto State, and that includes AR Precision and LaRue. I know if I got four more PSAs I probably wouldn't get that again, either.

In my opinion if you're seeing MOA from an AR, you're doing well enough. Besides, in the time it takes to get back on target with that level of precision you could have cycled a bolt.

Comment

Another vote for AR15 performance barrel and bolt (6.8 spc), 1/2 inch gun all day with factory ammo.

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    I have a Grendel with an ar15 performance barrel and bolt. It’s a hammer. I’d recommend them

Comment

I'd build in the .224 Valkyrie if you are building a paper gun or for small varmit. Thing shoots like a laser beam. I've got the savage model, and it is sub moa all day from the factory.

Comment

Use ARPerformance for the barrel in 6.5 Grendel for barrel longer than 16" or 6.8 SPC for 16" or shorter.

Comment

Only AR I've ever seen with a 1/2 inch garentee... If it don't shoot send it back

$250 over your budget... But if you want that last bit here is your baby

Comment

My RRA Varmint A4 in .223 shoots all factory ammo well. Bull barrel makes it heavy but I weigh 285 so I tell my wife it is made like me!

Comment

this is at 200 yards (5/8 MOA)
                              204 Ruger
                              Aero enhanced upper, standard Aero lower
                              26" White Oak Armament Barrel

Comment

Standard size/weight AR-15 using AR Performance 6.8SPC upper and Timney drop in trigger. First time out with it, 3/8" 5 shot group @ 100 yds using Hornady premium 120 gr. The one shot that is top/center of bull's eye is last zero shot, then shot the 5 shot group... I was flabbergasted! I'm a bolt gun guy, but I bought this gun because the guy swore it would do sub-moa with this ammo... told me to bring it back if I didn't like it... Right now today, if I were to grab a gun to go deer/hog or other similar size animal hunting, I'd grab this sucker over my heavy bolt guns in a heartbeat. Had it several years, but it was $1,600.00 delivered to my hands.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X