No announcement yet.

Time to get serious.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna take Marty's advice and learn on pigs. Here in the next few weeks they should start hitting our feeders hard.

Gary

Comment

Well dang Gary, that stinks. Sorry brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sorry about that Gary! I was pulling for you!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Sorry about that Gary! I was pulling for you!

Bisch
          I appreciate it. I know she's dead. I just lacked a good enough blood trail to locate her. I checked every oakmont and cedar tree in a 400 yard radius. I've never had a liver shot animal go that far. Normally they lay down within a hundred yards. I gotta figure out why on an animal I'm hitting left. Am I over drawing in the moment? Or am I not as adequate a shot out to 15 yards as I want to think. I'm not done. We have so many doe it's not hurting the herd. But I need to get a tag on one for the freezer. I gave the first two I killed away. I have a buck and die tag left. I'm going to get them done after Christmas then hammer the pigs the next six weeks until I get it right. Not left. Where I've hit twice now.

Gary

Comment

Not sure what is happening with you, as it could be many different things, but shooting targets and shooting live critters are two completely different things. The first ones are the hardest as you are anxious to "get it done". It does get "easier" as you get more under your belt. By easier, I mean that the ability to control yourself and stay with your shot comes more naturally and you tend not to think about the shot, you just do it. Most of it, I believe, is a confidence thing. Once you start killing and recovering them, your confidence begins to soar, which makes all aspects better. Confidence is a big key to making all this work.

Stick with it, and good luck next time out.

Edit: Just a thought, but if you are right handed, you may be pulling your bow arm on release, trying to see where the arrow is going????? Keep your form, and don't let your bow arm move until the arrow is in the target (it does not matter what the target is - static or live).

Bisch
            Last edited by Bisch; 12-22-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Thanx. Merry Christmas everyone.

Gary

Comment

Are you practicing while sitting? I tend to shoot higher while sitting, so maybe that is playing into it a little bit. It can also be a little harder to draw the full DL when sitting. Chair orientation plays a role that you usually do subconsciously when standing. Switching to a more open stance helped me transition from standing up to sitting as I tend to sit more open.

Just something to consider. May be way off base.

15 yards is my limit on distance not just because of accuracy, but deer reaction. 10 is what I setup for. Also, for me at least, 15 gets to the point where no matter what, I see the deer and can't pick out a hair as easily. Inside that, I can focus on a spot easier.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Are you practicing while sitting? I tend to shoot higher while sitting, so maybe that is playing into it a little bit. It can also be a little harder to draw the full DL when sitting. Chair orientation plays a role that you usually do subconsciously when standing. Switching to a more open stance helped me transition from standing up to sitting as I tend to sit more open.

Just something to consider. May be way off base.

15 yards is my limit on distance not just because of accuracy, but deer reaction. 10 is what I setup for. Also, for me at least, 15 gets to the point where no matter what, I see the deer and can't pick out a hair as easily. Inside that, I can focus on a spot easier.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                  It's funny how it works. On a 3D deer I can pick an arrow hole, concentrate on it, and (usually) shoot pretty good. A live deer at 20yds looks like it is a mile away to me! I have shot just a few that for out in all the time I have been hunting trad. Everything has to feel just right for me to take a shot at a deer sized critter much past 15yds.

Bisch

Comment

Most of my practice is sitting. I even spent time the last few days at the lease shooting from the top of an 8' step ladder. I even took three sitting shots with the spot light on the target before I went. Two shots the arrows were touching half inch off the dot and the other was about 2 inches high. I will continue working. I shoot pretty much daily and often twice a day. I'm just not used to not being . . . not in control of the outcome. When I release the string with my compound I expect to hit where I aimed. And it seems I can do that fairly well on the target with the recurve. However on every draw on an animal I'm questioning myself. That is not good. I've drawn and let down passing several shots because the hold didn't feel right. I will get it right. I just don't want to do it at the deer's expense. I'm going to get me a 3D pig and deer and see if the practice on them help.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      However on every draw on an animal I'm questioning myself. I've drawn and let down passing several shots because the hold didn't feel right.
                      The first sentence is a very bad thing! You must be thinking that you are going to make the perfect shot. Sometimes all of us don't execute that shot, but when the shot happens, you have to "know" in your mind that you are going to make the perfect shot!

The second sentence is a very good thing! I have passed shots at 10yds because something did not feel right, and I have taken, and made a few out of my normal comfort zone because everything felt perfect. Not forcing shots is a really good thing to be able to do.

Bisch
                      Last edited by Bisch; 12-22-2016, 10:29 PM.

Comment

This is probably NOT the issue, as I'm sure you've practiced with your broadheads, but they do group like your field tips right? I know I had to tweek my brace height just a bit to bring them together on my longbow. In my recurves they always flew the same.

Comment

All I know that I know right now is that I am not meeting my expectations. In the last month I've lost as many deer as I've lost in a decade with a compound.

Gary

Comment

Practice a ton, stick with it,get comfortable, pick a spot low, pick a hair on that spot, "zoom in", pull through the shot, hold your form, repeat.

It's easy to pull high when shooting sitting down.

Comment

I get that but this is the frustration I face. First shot since, 15 yards. Didn't shoot yesterday do to weather and things to get done but walk out, draw back and get this. Just like any other practice session. [emoji37] Click image for larger version

Name:	20161224_120229.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	24477490

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                All I know that I know right now is that I am not meeting my expectations. In the last month I've lost as many deer as I've lost in a decade with a compound.

Gary
                                If this stuff was easy, everyone would be Trad Hunters!
                                Keep your head up, It will happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X